Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Why does it hurt when I pee?
    Yeah...you might want to get that checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    maybe their all used up and ramp is having a hard time with old recruits.
    b
    We'll show you ours if you show us yours.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    well one questions been answered. ramp sports gots no game
    You gots no grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Why don't you make a ski with a turn radius over 22 m?
    The trend in the industry is to go towards that one ski quiver that can arc and also ski in powder. We tweaked our radii for 14-15 to follow this trend. That being said, we know there are skiers out there that love a big ski that goes straight and fast. We are coming out with a 194 Peacepipe and Kapow for 14-15 that has a big radius.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Do you do normal vacuum bag or vacuum infusion?
    We use a normal vacuum bag. We're not infusing resin into our bags, and likely won't but we are experimenting with some cool composites like prepreg glass (resin comes in the glass from our distributor). It allows you to pack a ski bag and not have to cook it immediately as the resin doesn't harden. Gives us good options for mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Why don't you have any skis in the 105-108 range? sorta odd sizings...

Good luck.
    Good point, and just this month we are releasing our NEW 105mm Big Bambooski, a twin tip that will be a great addition to our line. We will put this ski on our website in the next couple weeks. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What the heck are you feeding Andrew Rumph?
    He is on the Super Stoked Diet, which, and we can only guess, is full of wheatgrass, nuts, and Wheaties.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    Hmm, depends on the size of the 'chuck. Also, is he a hearty eater or leaning toward eating disorder? Many variables here. We know our Groundhog ski can plow, float, and chuck his way through a ton of snow, but that's just him.

Quote Originally Posted by RampSports View Post
    We are experimenting. Gives us good options for mass production.
    will this be the chinese made ski that's all the rage?
    b

I'm skiing up in Whistler with a friend whose son works for Ramp and he has a few of the newer models with him. They are too small for me so I can't ski them, but I can say that they look much better than the past Ramp skis I've seen. Looks like quality is top notch. One of our other friends is skiing on the new Peacepipe in a 179. He is a string skier who love the steeps/bumps. He is looking to get a pair now after today. The Bigbambooski also looks pretty nice. Has a good shape to it.

Other than this friend's son, I have no connection with Ramp and this is just mag feedback. I'm interested in the Peacepipe as a touring ski for next year doing a custom topsheet.

I skied a few of the new RAMP skis last month:

• RAMP Kapow 189cm (redesign)
    • RAMP Peacepipe 189cm (redesign)
    • RAMP Big Bambooski 179cm (100mm waist) (new model)

Review writeup:
    18mb PDF with pics...

I have been testing RAMPs since they first started (pre-USA production and now the new USA production), and talked to a good handful of RAMP owners we see out and about, and the quality has now gone top-notch and durability is now excellent.

They retain a turny, agile, "bright" personality underfoot (bamboo) (but I can't speak yet for the new larger-radius models coming out...haven't tried them yet). Definitely worth finding pairs to demo. USA-made, "green" manufacturing efforts, family-run business with a passion to make skiers happy, willing to take feedback on their product from customers....pretty good combination. Now that production is in the USA, they have full control over QA/QC and can rapidly tweak various models in R&D.
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

^^^The self promotion within self promotion effect is in full swing.

TGR's amps just went to 11.

As soon as I hear "green" in reference to anything ski related [except weed] I laugh.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    As soon as I hear "green" in reference to anything ski related [except weed] I laugh.
    As soon as I laugh, I hear weed...

At least they're tryin'...
    http://www.rampsports.com/sustainability
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Since this is tech talk, I'd like a thorough, technical and scientifically accurate description of how vacuum bagging at 1 atmosphere leads to skis with bigger sweet spots.
    It's not because of the pressure, it's due to vacuum molding. Vacuum molding uniformly presses the ski from tip to tail. In commercial pressing, it's very hard to get a uniform press from tip to tail. Four bars of pressure push down in the middle of the ski and less to at the tips and tails. Historically with commercial pressing, problems have occurred in the in those areas of the ski. A bigger sweet spot comes from this uniform press, as we aren't forcing the materials into a place they don't want to be naturally. For instance, our bamboo cores cure where they want to naturally and keep the structure of the ski much more sturdy over time. Every time pressure is applied while skiing, the camber stays strong versus breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    "Ladies sticks"?? Are you talking strap ons? PM Rontele
    Yes, ladies' sticks use the same process and materials as our men's skis (vacuum molding, yes same pumping action). In fact, our theory is that women want the same ski as men, so we just have a women specific top sheet; ski is exactly the same as the men's. About the strap on, good bet is asking a different kind of "shop" about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think your ski names and topsheets need a revamp.

I realize its tongue-in-cheek calling a women's ski the Beaver, but you may as well call it the Bearded Clam and really have at it. As far as the men's version the Groundhog goes, anyone who's actually seen one dead on the side of the road, or run over one in a car, is not going to have a great first impression of the ski.

That said, I have no idea how the skis ski or are constructed, but the names don't help.
    Well, we like to have a sense of humor at RAMP. We do things differently, and if you like what you see, buy it. If you don't, don't. We can't please everyone, but we consistently get great compliments on our tops as they are quite different from industry norm. Don't judge a book by its cover, try out our skis and take a look at our constructions. You might be surprised. www.rampsports.com

how buff are the bottoms because i don't ski the tops.
    b

[quote name=&quot;Timberridge&quot; post=4202845]I think your ski names and topsheets need a revamp. <br />
    <br />
    I realize its tongue-in-cheek calling a women's ski the Beaver, but you may as well call it the Bearded Clam and really have at it. As far as the men's version the Groundhog goes, anyone who's actually seen one dead on the side of the road, or run over one in a car, is not going to have a great first impression of the ski. <br />
    <br />
    That said, I have no idea how the skis ski or are constructed, but the names don't help.[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    Well, we like to have a sense of humor at RAMP. We do things differently, and if you like what you see, buy it. If you don't, don't. We can't please everyone, but we consistently get great compliments on our tops as they are quite different from industry norm. Don't judge a book by its cover, try out our skis and take a look at our constructions. You might be surprised. www.rampsports.comif you get compliments on the tops maybe "the tits" might be more appropriate. I'd buy either

It's not because of the pressure, it's due to vacuum molding. Vacuum molding uniformly presses the ski from tip to tail. In commercial pressing, it's very hard to get a uniform press from tip to tail. Four bars of pressure push down in the middle of the ski and less to at the tips and tails. Historically with commercial pressing, problems have occurred in the in those areas of the ski. A bigger sweet spot comes from this uniform press, as we aren't forcing the materials into a place they don't want to be naturally. For instance, our bamboo cores cure where they want to naturally and keep the structure of the ski much more sturdy over time. Every time pressure is applied while skiing, the camber stays strong versus breaking down.
    I'm not hating on RAMP so don't get me wrong, I'm all for indie skis but that might be one of the worst explanations ever.

The cores cure where they want naturally, not forcing the materials into apace they don't want to be...seriously....??? the whole reason a ski is PRESSED, vac or pneumatic, is to conform the materials to the mold. If you don't have good mold conformity, you don't get flat skis, good bonding or repeatable results.

Sorry but this just popped into my head

Right now I'm envisioning a certified psychologist in a sweater and glasses smoking a pipe talking in soft tones to a stack of your bamboo cores...so how does it make you feel to be put under reassure like that....hmmm I see, yes i can understand that you feel pressured....

Maybe once they have their breakout session they conform to the molds willingly and create this mystical increased sweet spot...???

Anyway as far as pneumatically pressed skis go, yes the tip and tail can be an issue but typically only if you don't set your molds up correctly and you don't get good mold conformity leading to too little pressure or have your top mold too close to your materials creating too much pressure, causing a dry composite due to squeezing out too much resin.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Vinman has answered some of this already, but I´ll go into it too.

If your process is set up properly, there are no issues with non-uniform pressure in a normal process. The higher pressure and applied heat lets you cycle through skis faster, meaning higher production rates at the cost of molds and cavities that are expensive but not prohibitively expensive for development work, even for a small company.

The main benefit of vacuum molding is (as has been stated above in this thread) that it requires less investment in equipment, reduces risk if you´re building your own press, is more flexible in regards to shapes and camber profiles but comes at a cost of cycle time.

Even pressing using a bladder that conforms to the cavity (alá skibuilders.com) subjects the ski to the exact same pressure over the full length and width of the ski if it´s properly executed. This is pretty much how pressure works. Subject a container to a certain pressure, and that pressure is exactly the same inside the entire system.

Does bamboo want to be cambered/rockered or bent into the tip/tail curvature of a ski? Do you mill out the camber profiles from a huge block of bamboo? Is not a bamboo core built from a split-cane laminate in order to keep the bamboo from keeping its "natural" shape?

1 atm of pressure is roughly 10^5N/m^2, thats 100.000N/m^2 or the equivalent of being submerged 10m under water. That is enough to force materials into "a place they don´t want to be naturally", which is pretty much the whole point of pressing skis, regardless of what you or Blizzard may say (flipcore)...

Camber or flex degradation does not depend heavily on the core material (unless it´s prone to breaking and weakening while being flexed during use), but is heavily dependent on the type of laminate used (laminate breakage) and how well this bonds to the epoxy (laminates shearing loose from the epoxy matrix, which is heavily dependent on the thickness of the individual strand of fiber and how well you are wetting each fiber).
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

^^^ knows stuff!
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

You and Vinman surely know your engineering and physics. No doubt about that. Our apologies for not having our engineer chime in right away. When you only have about 1 minute to explain a complicated process to the average consumer—without having their eyes glaze over—you tend to boil it down, maybe simplify. All of your comments are right on. And we didn't mean to mislead. That being said, our engineer who had over a decade of experience working Rossignol R&D and has about 7 patents under his name and one just for RAMP, surely will be able to shed some more light on this topic. He has been recruited to hop in the conversation. Appreciate your comments.

You and Vinman surely know your engineering and physics. No doubt about that. Our apologies for not having our engineer chime in right away. When you only have about 1 minute to explain a complicated process to the average consumer—without having their eyes glaze over—you tend to boil it down, maybe simplify...
    dude this is tech talk, you didn't really answer what we thru down ... why don't you just let the engineer do the talking?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What patents do ramp have?