Avy death at Conejos Peak - 3/4/14

Condolences for all friends, family, and those that knew the victim. Short story - here

CIAC investigation starts today.

This was my Friend. He was a good one, very snow smart and was a guide in South America and 13 year pro patroller.

Details are sketchy so not gonna post any more for now.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

the details usually are, sorry beater.
    b

bummed for your loss beater.
    brutal year, and it ain't over yet...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sorry man. Condolences.

Sorry for your loss Beater.
    Shit is hitting the fan all over the state. I'm usually not one for telling people to "stay safe out there" and all, that but this year is exceptionally bad. Stay safe out there folks.

I hate when we lose anyone anymore, but really sucks when seasoned pros get taken out.

sorry for the loss of your friend beater.... sucks bad. sounds like a great guy and will be missed by many. keep the good in the fore front of your mind and pass along the positive that he provided to you among others.

Seems to always hit harder when it is protroller. Condolences to all who he touched.
    Last edited by cat in january; 03-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Sucks. Isn't that the second WC patroller to get caught in like 3 years? Sad.

The WC trollers have a tremendous amount of expertise. To lose 2 from that small community in 3.5 years is a tough hit for sure. It is also indicative of the fact that it can happen to anyone, irrespective of how experienced you are.

Prayers to his friends and family.

And the rest of wc patrol. I can't imagine how somber the mood must be.

+++ vibes
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

We used to call that 'area fam'. Aka fee skiing on the clock in uni out of area. In the late 80's we'd run laps through the East Vail Chutes and have someone pick us up in one of the VA rigs. Good to learn the lay of the land, stay on top of conditions a little bit and fun, and an opportunity to do some education.

Here's another write up just posted by Friends of CAIC:

http://www.mtnadvisor.com/article/ri...roller/?id=373

Vibes to the friends and family.

RIP Colin.

terrible. vibes.
    Scott Kay and now this.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

CAIC's final report is up for those interested:

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...inv&acc_id=531

Condolences and vibes to friends, family and the Wolf Creek community!

I read through the report and I still don't really understand what the patrollers were doing out there. Were they just skiing or was it recon work related to the resort? I'm not aware of a wolf creek heli op but that doesn't mean much. Shitty situation regardless of what they were doing.

It seems this incident really highlights the low probability high consequence nature of the persistent slab problem. Victim was like the 7th person down the path over two days?? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ballackout View Post
    I read through the report and I still don't really understand what the patrollers were doing out there. Were they just skiing or was it recon work related to the resort? I'm not aware of a wolf creek heli op but that doesn't mean much. Shitty situation regardless of what they were doing.

It seems this incident really highlights the low probability high consequence nature of the persistent slab problem. Victim was like the 7th person down the path over two days?? Crazy.
    From one of the articles….RIP and vibes to the families.

"On Tuesday, March 4th, Wolf Creek Ski Area Avalanche Technician and Senior Patroller Colin Sutton was caught in an avalanche while conducting an exploration and research mission via helicopter on Conejos Peak in the South San Juan Mountain Range"
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2014/0...-ski-patroller

So civil fine for inadequate mitigation combined with criminal charges for unauthorized explosives mitigation?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by ballackout View Post
    I read through the report and I still don't really understand what the patrollers were doing out there. Were they just skiing or was it recon work related to the resort?
    This. I'm not trying to sling mud or blame WC for anything, but 'exploration and research mission' is pretty vague. Throw in Pitcher getting charged for not actually being allowed to bomb out of the resort, but it sounding like they did it 2-3 times and this whole thing sounds strange.

Of course maybe the 'research and exploration' had large impacts on how they managed the snow in bounds? If so I guess it all makes sense.

Wof Creek and Conejos Peak aren't exactly close (~15 miles), the S San Juan Wilderness is in between the two. The area around Conejos gets less snow than WC. From the Durango Herald article: “At one time, Wolf Creek had applied for helicopter skiing permits in different areas,” ski area owner Rosanne Pitcher said. “We try to stay in areas where the good snow is, and Conejos Peak is one of those. They were just kind of checking it out for the day.”

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    Of course maybe the 'research and exploration' had large impacts on how they managed the snow in bounds? If so I guess it all makes sense.
    Uh huh.

Not slinging either. Over the years I was involved in several of these types of "research and exploration" missions. They are usually very fun, spur of the moment, poorly planned and when you look back on them probably not terribly safe.

There are several incidents in Snowy Torrents like this that have taken the lives of ski patrollers in the past.

Could be an entire chapter on this particular type of Heuristic trap.

Shitty deal all the way round.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"