Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    You went to the only crowded ski-line in Nevada and got slid, in a crowd? Wow. Sign of the times.

Kidding aside, glad to hear you guys are OK. Thanks for sharing the tale of a rowdy outing!
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    M5980, I'm wondering what you thought might still avalanche. Are you talking about hangfire still at the top? Because your wording makes it sound like you thought it was the debris itself that is possibly unstable, which just doesn't make sense to me (esp. in a confined couloir). Can you elaborate on what you saw that made you think there was avy danger still ready to go?
    We were concerned that there was still snow hanging above us, plus the debris was sitting on top of a sheet of ice. As we descended, there were cracks developing in the steeper sections.

A slide is not supposed to trigger in such a narrow low angel space, but it did. So why not the debris? We just survived an avalanche, we were still stuck in the couloir, there were two people below us, one injured, so, speaking for myself, I was not ready to rush down the fucking thing.
    Last edited by m5980; 03-05-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    you can also rope up

rog
    I'm taking this as a sign of the apocalypse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

That’s a pretty vivid story. Must be hard to revisit it. Thanks for sharing, we can all benefit from reading it. You did a great job capturing the confusion and terror.

Glad you’re all accounted for.

So glad everyone was basically okay. Reading that was gripping. Thanks for sharing.

I was there last year, and it's one of the last places I'd want to be caught in a slide. It also seems hard to know what the snow is going to be like in that particular line until you're in it. I'm also not sure that approaching it from behind is much safer. As I recall, you'd have to climb up a steep avy drainage.

Some context:

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    So glad everyone was basically okay. Reading that was gripping. Thanks for sharing.

I was there last year, and it's one of the last places I'd want to be caught in a slide. It also seems hard to know what the snow is going to be like in that particular line until you're in it. I'm also not sure that approaching it from behind is much safer. As I recall, you'd have to climb up a steep avy drainage.

Some context:
    Holy shit. That’s a terrain trap if ever I’ve seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by m5980 View Post
    We just survived an avalanche, we were still stuck in the couloir, there were two people below us, one injured, so, speaking for myself, I was not ready to rush down the fucking thing.
    you did whatcha had to do and lived to tell about it. can't ask for more than that.

there's no such thing as "it's not supposed to" when dealing with avy's and avy terrain. if it was too low angle to slide then the line wouldn't be so sought after. under about 30 degrees for it's ENTIRETY, then it'd be somewhat safe to assume that it might not slide.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I'm also not sure that approaching it from behind is much safer. As I recall, you'd have to climb up a steep avy drainage.
    well if TM is in the lee and the backside drainage is windward, then it might be the safer approach....

rog

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    I'm taking this as a sign of the apocalypse.
    , hidden deep dark secrets......

rog

well if TM is in the lee and the backside drainage is windward, then it might be the safer approach....

rog
    So you have never been there or skied it yet you are judging how others have accessed it? Interesting.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So you have never been there or skied it yet you are judging how others have accessed it? Interesting.
    avy terrain is avy terrain, terrain traps are terrain traps, the 4 major ingredients that cause avys are the same no matter where you are in the world.

they fucked up, i've fucked up, many others have fucked up. it's a discussion. not the "PC" wasatch conditions TR.

rog

Actually, terminal cancer it's a terrain trap only if the lookers right wall up high slides. This year there isn't enough snow on it to slide.

If there is a slide on tc, you will get worked, but unlikely you will get buried, because the apron is wide enough so the mass of snow sliding from the couloir wil spread out without a lot if depth.

Still, the avie rating that day was considerable, so it would have been prudent to wait a couple of days.

And while it can be fun to ski it in powder, it's so narrow that it's more fun to ski when it's packed.
    Look at cody townsend's video, where he skied it NONSTOP.
    Unbelievable run.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Look at cody townsend's video, where he skied it NONSTOP.
    Unbelievable run.
    Probably the best POV clip I've ever seen, IMO.

I'm enjoying the internet avalanche expert banter in here. It's helpful and I'm really learning a lot about how I shouldn't ever climb lines from the bottom. Particularly lines like TC and couloirs in the Eastern Sierra. Thanks for the education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Probably the best POV clip I've ever seen, IMO.

I'm enjoying the internet avalanche expert banter in here. It's helpful and I'm really learning a lot about how I shouldn't ever climb lines from the bottom. Particularly lines like TC and couloirs in the Eastern Sierra. Thanks for the education.
    You suck at reading. I never said you should never climb what you ski.

rog

You suck at reading. I never said you should never climb what you ski.

rog
    Are you sure he's including you in the expert category?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I keep trying to type something of substance but it's not so easy.

Last week I approached a few people.. roommate, girlfriend & coworker and explained a story about a friend that had recently started hiking and splitting big lines in conditions that I felt were substantially more risky than tours we had been on previously. More exposure and enough avvy risk to make it a low probability/high risk decision.. those type make me very uncomfortable because, well, death is very possible in that realm. This week this thread appears and the friend discussed the prior week was involved in this slide.

At risk of being one of those prickish MMQb types.... I'd rather be honest and a prick than not say my peace.

It's a long road, don't push too hard. You have plenty of time to ski Tanner's, TC, NW Twins, Seagull, etc. on days where you have viz & a less dynamic snowpack. IMO big lines are not for storm or 1st pow days.. period. It cuts out opportunity but it also eliminates some of the worst risk in the sport.

Cheers to the guys for being open & honest about the ordeal. And best wishes to your buddy with the broken arm.

Evidence of heuristic traps in recreational avalanche accidents

Amazing story.
    How the fuck is Terminal Cancer so crowded that 3 parties hit it at about the same time? Isn't it in the middle of nowhere a long way from anywhere? Is it that famous now?
    Glad everyone's more or less ok.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Amazing story.
    How the fuck is Terminal Cancer so crowded that 3 parties hit it at about the same time? Isn't it in the middle of nowhere a long way from anywhere? Is it that famous now?
    Glad everyone's more or less ok.
    It was the pefect storm so to speak. A long dry winter in the Sierra and the Wasatch, people needing something big and thinking road trip, and the forecast of big snow.
    and of course, saturday

The Rubies aren't that far from SLC. And, the majority of people who go out to "ski the Rubies", are really only skiing Terminal Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    Icelandic ski guy seems to be a terminal cancer on just about every potentially useful thread here.

Jesus F Christ dude!?

Are there any other decent Avy discussions on the web with no metastases?
    Nice contribution to the discussion.

rog

Yes. It is.
    Lifts are for sissies.

Also it was the first day of spring break at Utah. It's a quick drive out. I did the same thing last year and ran into a friend's group at the apron and we all went up together. The range is awesome I'd like to spend more time there in the summer for hiking and get in deeper for skiing. Maybe later

Is there any other ski terrain in the rubies besides TC? Google earth makes it look that way but first hand knowledge is always helpful. Coolies are either go or no go and we want some backup options...

Looking to take a long weekend out there this spring skiing and fishing the ruby marshes,

There is a lot of terrain in the canyon. Just go as deep as you want and stop when you see something you like.

Btw, as you go to the top of terminal cancer and you look over, there is some great skiing to be had, and it may wrap around to the canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Is there any other ski terrain in the rubies besides TC? Google earth makes it look that way but first hand knowledge is always helpful. Coolies are either go or no go and we want some backup options...

Looking to take a long weekend out there this spring skiing and fishing the ruby marshes,
    I think that's where Ruby Mountain Heli Ski is......