Thread: '14 NE thread

'14 NE thread

Alright lets go -

It's been like this

and this

and this has made it so much fun

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Damn, those fatties look fun.

Signing in here to represent the dirty jerz.

I'm pretty stoked for this season! Just finished up my budget DJ build yesterday and met up with a bunch of friends at Rye last night.

Needs a few tweaks and a different seat (borrowing a friend's post), but its gonna be sweet working on jumps this year:

(Excuse my packrat of a roommate's boxes in the background. I thought I was bad...)

Rode yesterday and was pretty fun, but tough. The untouched was too soft and the other trails were super bumpy and firm from foot traffic. It was a hell of a work out! I was hoping for a couple snowmobiles to have packed the main trails clean, but they never showed!

Looking forward to some freezing temps (like today) so I can sit on top of this stoopid deep snowpack here on the coast.

Nice jumper. I'd get one but I have a landing problem :|

Yup gotta get that crust, the trails are pretty rough. Why do people walk when it's warm? They just fuck it up . You should try the frozen lakes they're usually smooth and you get to see places you'd never see any other way. Gonna go for a good one tomorrow, maybe I'll get some pics.

Got out again today and still trying to figure this whole thing out. Was able to stay on top a little bit randomly, but then would sink 4-5" and just stall. Going downhill was good, but any up was real tough.

Close to work someone ripped around on a snowmobile. Damn! His tracks were perfect!

Short list -
    New derailleur 'cause this one sucks
    New pedals. I'm back an forth on flats and clipless or maybe a combo. I like being able to just jump on for a casual ride and I share this with my kids.
    Tires and tubes

That should be fine until I upgrade the whole bike.

When I did stay on top it sure was fun! and running up over snowbanks! Yahoo!

Nice^^^^

You should come up my way. Rode the last 8 days and rode in a nice track in da woods till the surf came up today. Thank god i did that cuz the snow below the surface is rotting from the ground up.

Next years kona is gonna be wicked nice. Give this one to yer kid and upgrade

rog

I'm kicking myself now for being a lazy bastard earlier. Had I been out more on the fresh snow (rather than inside, bitching) on the bike or shoes, they would be more packed down goodness vs. the icy post-holed shit show they are now.

Still, it beats the trainer.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Icy post holed fukn disaster is what they are. I was at Nimham yesterday and it was 50/50 walk ride. Once it gets tracked its almost tougher because the crust has been unzipped and the second rider just goes through. My daughter rolled nearly everything, would be nice to be 105 pounds =)

SJ - Yup, up is really hard to impossible. If the crust is truly that supportive it's probably too slick to ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

Yes, a bunch of stuff I've been trying to ride looks like that also. What a shitshow! Every once in a while its fairly buff and then right back to bumpy hell. I think I might buy a beater snowmobile just to groom out my trails!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If the crust is truly that supportive it's probably too slick to ride on.
    not true at all. i'm riding about the shittiest tires for slippery conditions, but they roll unreal and float well (vee rubber 8's) and the crust around here is epic supportive grippy as sand paper and has been for like a month and was back in december/january for weeks as well.

went for a great 2 hour ride this am, day 9 out of the last 10. ride started on pavement for the 1st two miles. we got about an inch of snow this am and it's still snowing which made the riding amazing. after the pavement i met a bud at the entrance to my local town trails that i'd ridden in smooth and we lapped that and some wide open huge fields and a cemetery that border the trail system. we then rode through the village to another lil trail network that goes around a pond to a connector singletrack that brings you right to the ocean. rode the road a bit into the falling snow and wind, rode on the beach for a bit, then took smooth deep unplowed summer beach cottage roads and through some boarded up homes yards to get to my dirt road and home. so amazing to cruise right on top of the 15" glacial snowpack we have.

GO ANYWHERE!!!

tomorrow may hafta be a surf/ride combo

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    not true at all. i'm riding about the shittiest tires for slippery conditions, but they roll unreal and float well (vee rubber 8's) and the crust around here is epic supportive grippy as sand paper and has been for like a month and was back in december/january for weeks as well.

rog

Yeah, there are places where it is bomber and grippy around here. Like in my pic you can see my tire marks and I wasn't sinking thru and that is a good 1.5' - 2' deep...super grippy and fun.

Ideally our snowpack would only be a few inches so that when you do sink you'd hit firm ground. Now there are many spots that have turned to shit sugar depth hoar. We need a significant rain event or a thorough melt/freeze cycle to stabilize the avi conditions

Teh suck about this winter is that everytime it snowed, it came down in goddam feet or many inches at a time. Todays one inch fluffer is such a treat.

The corn cruising this weekend is gonna be epic!

Rog

No fat stoke here, but I'm pretty psyched to try out this new (to me) fork. Prettied it up with some fresh paint and decals. 1/2 pound lighter than the Bomber, so I should be much faster .

Side rant.....sold two forks on Pink Bike to pay for this one. I tried to be as descriptive as possible and people still have no clue what they are buying. First guy broke my old Fox Vanilla trying to figure out where the air goes (coil fork). Second guy told me he wasn't happy with the Bomber because it was too stiff. Here's a hint, let some air out. Bah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140305_134121.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	151941  

Selling bike stuff has been probably one of the most frustrating experiences I can think of lately. Half the people messaging me about my SX Trail were from South America. Shockingly, they all fizzled out when it came time to settle through paypal. Selling used gear in general is maddening.

1/2 pound off a fork is probably going to be nice!

Good day to make my own trail:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1394046364.262344.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	151942

Taking a break:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1394046427.278615.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	151943
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

holy moly the riding conditions and weather are spectacular this am. just did a short surf check beach/backyard/anywhere float on crust in untracked 1-2" of sparkling cold smoke ride.

not much surf so getting ready for a real ride now before work

unreal

rog

bliss.

another 1.5 hours in da bank.

temps in the upper teens, bluebird, a light seabreeze, and an inch of perfect cold pow covering our tracks from yesterday. the snow was sqeaky under tread and gave great grip. riding the beach on the way back to the house is always the icing. almost stopped for a pack of cowboy killerz on the way home. the riding is that good right now. and will continue for dayz and dayz. is it tomorrow yet

rog

Made an effort to ride today. There were short moments of pure bliss and then I'd break thru the crust and the party was over.

I think I'm in for a long spring with this snowpack. I guess if we a get a good melt I can hit it with snowshoes, but I'm not sure if that will work for long. It's just so deep, that I think I'll be continue to break/sink thru no matter what.

I'm ready for a big melt on the coast. Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post

YES!!!!!!!!!

#donthaveafatty #readyformud

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Made an effort to ride today. There were short moments of pure bliss and then I'd break thru the crust and the party was over.

I think I'm in for a long spring with this snowpack. I guess if we a get a good melt I can hit it with snowshoes, but I'm not sure if that will work for long. It's just so deep, that I think I'll be continue to break/sink thru no matter what.

f that. just drive 20 minutes north and ride with me. no breaking thru my ridden in stuff or out in the open. bomber. the melt freeze cycles starting tomorrow are just gonna make it better for the next coupla weeks at least.

just 10 more hours and it'll be on like donkey kong

rog

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!

#donthaveafatty #readyformud
    mud/dirt/rock/hot weather=more reason to ride a fatty. snow is just ho hum

rog

edit:
    Hmm, looks like if you click on any of the thumbnails it opens the whole album..Does it work that way for anybody else or just because it's on my 'puter?

Crusty the Clown has left town but it's corn harvest time

Wife is a trooper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (9).jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	152307  

^^^^^^^^how long will it last? 54 today, 9 on thursday nite, prolly colder. With snow. Meh, ready for mud. Fatty mud town!

rog

My bike has only been ridden on snow so far, it won't know what to do with dirt

Dunno but I realized this afternoon that, for the most part, it's dry(ish) ground for 9 months a year here so we should take advantage of the extended snow season this go 'round. It was right about 50* while we were out today and it was great, the only thing that would have been better would be if we were really in the woods and not the local rail trail but I had to check out the conditions and we got in about 10 miles with a couple hundred feet of elevation change. Hopefully it does freeze back up after the rain turns to snow and I can get another good one on Sunday (my next day off.) Hey maybe it will snow enough I can take one more snow day and ride on Thursday as the storm leaves. Whatever, I'll take it while I can get it.