TLD or Asterisk knee braces?

I'm researching knee braces, and two skiing friends recommend different ones. TLD and Asterisk.

Anyone have firsthand experience trying both?

Opinions?

Quality build and durability.
    Fit, adjustability and comfort.
    Support and feel when used skiing with battered knees.
    Customer service (if needed).
    Bulky or not? Fit under pants easily?
    Other aspects you found important?

Thank you
    Last edited by Super D; 03-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.

I really like my TLD Catalyst ones. They've proven very durable in lots of dirtbiking use, including lots of crashes. In comparisons they are less bulky than Asterisk and about the same as POD. I only skied with one of them the first couple of times out on my reconstructed ACL, but it was not necessary, so I took it off and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind that there is little to no clinical evidence that braces will actually prevent ligament injury. I wear mine dirtbiking because they will in fact prevent hyperextension and are really awesome knee/lower leg pads.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I really like my TLD Catalyst ones. They've proven very durable in lots of dirtbiking use, including lots of crashes. In comparisons they are less bulky than Asterisk and about the same as POD. I only skied with one of them the first couple of times out on my reconstructed ACL, but it was not necessary, so I took it off and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind that there is little to no clinical evidence that braces will actually prevent ligament injury. I wear mine dirtbiking because they will in fact prevent hyperextension and are really awesome knee/lower leg pads.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

As for the knee braces and injury prevention, I agree that there isn't conclusive data as to whether they prevent injury or not. All I have to go on is the input from friends who are avid skiers and motocross riders and racers. They wear them to keep in action, and couldn't continue in these sports without them. My thinking is that if I can spread the forces across a larger area with braces when big mishaps occur, it might help protect my knee joints in some measure, in certain twisting falls. I spoke with the folks at Asterisk, and they sound very confident that these devices can prevent injury (Dave Castillo's the son of the inventor of the CTi brace, so definitely a good amount of experience there). At this point, I'm going to continue to research them, the TLD's and others, and will try them at some point soon. Can't hurt, might help.

My thinking is that it's worth trying. I'm lucky to still be skiing, surfing, trail running and participating in martial arts with battered knees from years of ski racing and jumping off things in my spare time that I really shouldn't have. I just want to keep playing and avoid catastrophic injuries going forward if at all possible. The skill development, physical training and protective gear should hopefully all add up to a bit more longevity and less down time.

Regarding prophylactic braces preventing knee injuries, it's definitely an area of debate. And I wish there was more conclusive, credible, thorough study. Why is there not? No clue here. Such an important area where we need to develop expertise. Glad surgery methodologies and materials have advanced and continue to greatly, but if we could retain our natural knees longer, perhaps even throughout our athletic lives, it would be best. Here's a study you might find interesting. There are variables that make the study imperfect, but it offers at least a well thought-out approach to determining whether a knee-braced athlete is benefitting beyond psychological effects. http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/kn...orcycling-r270