Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Ah yes-The old "please nanny me more mr government" you are a dumb fuck as is the cake spreader who caused this. Always somebody else's fault. Always. And always want more enforcement by somebody.......more.more.more.....
    Does it have to be the fault of someone? The City planners? The snowboarder? The folks who built at the bottom of a hill? The kid who was walkign outside? Can't it simply be shitty, terrible, bad luck?

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Does it have to be the fault of someone? The City planners? The snowboarder? The folks who built at the bottom of a hill? The kid who was walkign outside? Can't it simply be shitty, terrible, bad luck?
    Yes. And the solution has to be more government spending, thus more taxation to fund the spending. And the avalanche fences are a GREAT idea, have them designed by Maya Lin and carved out of old elk racks. If they're not artisanal and unique and more chic than what Boulder, Portland, Santa Fe have then the city has failed us. Everything must be sanitary, fancy, and upscale in order to please the residents who just moved here with a fixed fantasy in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    no i dont think its the one and only solution. i think its better than just pretending theres no problem though. or that it shouldnt be addressed.
    What is the problem?

Did you know any plane or helicopter flying over the region could suddenly lose motive power and fall, crashing into something as it hits ground? We need to build a bubble over the region's dwellings and vehicles and landscapes so that the problem isn't being ignored and this is clearly the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    i have no idea what falstaff engen is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falstaff is your helper here.

"A fat, vain, boastful, and cowardly knight, Falstaff leads the apparently wayward Prince Hal into trouble, and is ultimately repudiated after Hal becomes king."

the problem is someone was killed in a human-triggered avalanche. that much should be obvious.. it should also be obvious this isnt an ongoing problem that requires a long-term solution.
    long live the jahrator

clutch those pearls!

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Here is what the hill usually looks like during the winter, I took this a week after the slide:

It doesn't even look that filled in. It's just brown to a white dusting to brown again.
    Prosecution might feel like they don't really have a case. Avalanches can happen naturally, "act of God," etc. I'm sure whoever did it is losing a lot of sleep. It was stupid, but it wasn't on purpose. It still seems like a criminal case to me, but maybe he wasn't trespassing? Then it for sure wouldn't be. If he was trespassing, it would still be hard to prove criminal intent, which is the key to a lot of crimes as they are written in the law. Since this is 99.999% most likely not on purpose, he may not even be in violation of any criminal codes even if he was trespassing. Eh, maybe the guilt will eat away at him for the rest of his life till he winds up under a bridge with no teeth dying of cancer. He shouldn't have been on that hill at that time.
    whatever.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It doesn't even look that filled in. It's just brown to a white dusting to brown again.
    Prosecution might feel like they don't really have a case. Avalanches can happen naturally, "act of God," etc. I'm sure whoever did it is losing a lot of sleep. It was stupid, but it wasn't on purpose. It still seems like a criminal case to me, but maybe he wasn't trespassing? Then it for sure wouldn't be. If he was trespassing, it would still be hard to prove criminal intent, which is the key to a lot of crimes as they are written in the law. Since this is 99.999% most likely not on purpose, he may not even be in violation of any criminal codes even if he was trespassing. Eh, maybe the guilt will eat away at him for the rest of his life till he winds up under a bridge with no teeth dying of cancer. He shouldn't have been on that hill at that time.
    whatever.
    it's amazing how someone can sound sorta-lawyer-y thanks to teevee lawyer drama programming.

nice work equating trespassing and criminal law, and good job grafting criminal mind-state analysis onto a civil wrong

just put it all in a blender, add some crushed ice and goofy-colored syrupy euro swill apertif, blend for 5 seconds. it's called the vanvalkenberg!

I know you're a lawyer so I'm pretty sure you know a person dying isn't necessarily a civil matter.
    Believe it or not, people other than you, some who aren't even lawyers(!) know basic shit about basic legal matters and whatnot. Some people can even ski really well and not like Ronnie. HOLY SHIT, BATMAN, MY BEER WENT OUT MY NOSE!
    No longer stuck.

I know you're a lawyer so I'm pretty sure you know a person dying isn't necessarily a civil matter.
    Believe it or not, people other than you, some who aren't even lawyers(!) know basic shit about basic legal matters and whatnot. Some people can even ski really well and not like Ronnie. HOLY SHIT, BATMAN, MY BEER WENT OUT MY NOSE!
    You realize you're doing a pee wee herman here, don't you? Still, you seem to feel like you ended up the winner.

I really don't know why I'd ever satirize that.

whatever.
    I'm not sure legal speculation is really your forte.

All the lawyers weigh in.
    What good is the Internet without pointless speculation?
    And this is TGR. You're supposed to be dentists.
    No longer stuck.

Eh, maybe the guilt will eat away at him for the rest of his life till he winds up under a bridge with no teeth dying of cancer. He shouldn't have been on that hill at that time.
    whatever.
    Wow, you are a heartless human….and creepy too.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

yeah i thought that was pretty fucked, too.
    long live the jahrator

If I triggered a slide that killed someone, I would probably be consumed by guilt cancer. Because I'm actually the opposite of heartless.
    No longer stuck.

If I triggered a slide that killed someone, I would probably be consumed by guilt cancer. Because I'm actually the opposite of heartless.
    Much different statement above, in the light of the earlier one your posted.

people go sledding, snowboarding in semi-urban areas all the time.

There is no way some random person or kid knew, or should have known, that slope would have slid. Nothing criminal at all, accidents happen all the time with no charges filed upon the "guilty", because we are compassionate logical humans, not always thinking with emotions.

If that is truly your thoughts, then I respectfully take back my statement and apologize, sorry.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Look at the above statements about urban snowfall in Missoula. There's not normally much. And the weather reports were all on about how dangerous the avalanche forecast was and it's pretty well known that most of that area is closed. This was more than just "random," in fact, it was rather exceptional, but he probably isn't guilty of anything criminal.
    Anyway, thanks for not being a douche.
    No longer stuck.

Not everyone reads the news or watches the weatherman. Sometimes people look out the window to see if they should go outside that day. They don't read some specialized avalanche forecast that maybe a few hundred people in the valley subscribe to.

The guy will get charged with trespass into the elk wintering zone and that's it. The city of missoula will maybe add something to the closure zone about avalanches for the future and possibly put up some avalanche fencing. With that it will be the end of this episode very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Not everyone reads the news or watches the weatherman. Sometimes people look out the window to see if they should go outside that day. They don't read some specialized avalanche forecast.......
    that would be great if you were just taking the dog for a walk
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

he probably isn't guilty of anything criminal.
    what a read! I'll be sure to send people your way with all their legal questions. "No, not a lawyer, but I have watched a lot of legal dramas on teevee!"

I saw the inside of the Law Library at UM. Good enough.
    No longer stuck.

I saw the inside of the Law Library at UM. Good enough.
    beats only seeing the outside.

everyone knows that lawyers don't really know anything, and get all their answers on Westlaw. it's kinda like how surgeons just make up a route on the fly, slicing and dicing their way to an eventual hoped-for success. scrub nurse'll clean it up. she can sew.

And dentists just use Lexus Nexus or whatever it's called.
    I read that in Science.
    No I didn't.
    I can't read.
    No longer stuck.