Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking TR: Powder Asphyxiation & Col des Cristaux; Chamonix

I've spent the last month basically in a little place called Trenchtown, Italy. It's a magical spot 15 minutes from Chamonix filled with fine Italian espresso, spines, awesome tree skiing, steep faces right off the tram tower, the deepest of powder snow and melt in your mouth pizza. If it's not snowing it's bluebird and everyone's always smiling, even the locals. We bought an unlimited Mont Blanc tunnel pass so we were free to go over there at our leisure, maybe even just for dinner if we decided to take a rest day from choking on pow.

'Merica! Photo cred: Jason Thompson: http://www.jthompsonphotography.com/

Photo cred: Davide De Masi

We finally started to see some clearing in the weather last week and I got up into the Argentiere basin to check it out conditions and to remember why I'm spending another season in Chamonix !!!!big tours, big lines, big climbs, big adrenaline AAHHHH!!!! Totally out of touring shape from freeriding the last month a tour up to the Col d'Argentiere kind of hurt, sadly. But a view of the north faces made me feel better.

During a night out at Moo Bar after way too many beers and dancing, Ben Briggs, http://www.ben-briggs.com, and fellow American Alpine Institute guide Danny Uhlmann and I decided to head up to ski the Col des Cristaux once the weather cleared again. I've ridden this line before but not for three years so I was amped! This pic is from http://www.Chamonixtopo.com but conditions were pretty similar.

We got to the face and saw three tracks in it. We were stoked, thinking there would be a nice bootpack all the way up... Think again. After roping up to cross the shrund it was tit's deep wallowing for the first hour or so, we took short rotations at breaking this heinous trail.

We found the booter for about 100m which was nice then the snow changed to nice firm pow, boosting moral and increasing stoke.

Ben Briggs, the legend continues:

The snow got pretty firm with loads of rocks at the top, but we made it!

Danny's amping in what I call his "savage pounding" sunglasses. He's a guide here in Chamonix, hire him: http://www.firstlightmountainguides.com. Tell him I sent you

This is one of my favorite views in all of Chamonix! Last time I was in this spot it was sunset and we had a mini epic getting out on the flat glacier because our tracks had filled in.

I remember being so gripped last time I rode this line three years ago. There were times I really had to fight my nerves getting up and down this line. It felt so good to be up here again feeling super confident about the pitch, the snow and my skill level. Here's a video from the line three years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4FzZ-jQQ44

Ben getting through the rocky bits:

As Danny and I reflect on and discuss whether this unridden portion is going to be rocky or not, Ben charges in. Danny was like "Damn Honeybadger!" Ben doesn't give a shit, he's just crazay! I laughed, and more cautiously shredded it. It's not rocky, it's blower.

I know you've probably all seen the "Crazy Nastyass Honeybadger" video, but even if you have you should probably watch it again:

He's so crazay! I saw the anticipation on his face, the massive grin, red cheeks, wide eyes. Like a steam engine ready to combust. He wasn't waiting for no one then I watched him rip it all the way to the bottom. The snow looked good.

Me, next. It was such deep powder I think even if you fell in the middle of the face you would've stopped. This picture is so funny because it exemplifies the exact opposite sentiment Ben had at the bottom of the run. What it does illustrate perfectly is the too cool for school, radditude vibe in Cham though. I'm glad these guys don't have any of that. Such a fun day and a great line in awesome conditions!

Now for the heinous schooch out of the basin, where I got the schooch leg bad and Danny said I looked stupid and called me handicapped. A snus fixed my leg and my state of mind. Perfectly smooth groomers down the Grand Montets, led us to drinking Panachés in the sun. Thanks for the awesome day boyz!

Last edited by BettyDee; 03-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    www.lizdaley.us
    @liz_daley

Purest awesome! A friend invited me to have a look at Col des Cristaux on Monday, I had to work instead... should have called in sick!
    Great pics Liz.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Betty Dee you are one of a very rare breed
    So cool

Betty delivers as usual.

10 minutes less on my bike this am due to the extra 10 minutes enjoying another one of you TR's. DAMN YOU BETTY!

awesome.

rog

Always great to see people having fun. As always, loved the TR. Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Damn! another rad TR. Thanks for the big mountain, deep pow, euro stoke!
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Nice, Liz!

Now that you are habituated to the angle, it may soon be time to hit the next major line looker's left.

Wow.. nice work!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Awesome stuff.

We had a great time on the Italian side a few weeks back. La Palud might be my new favorite ski experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Aaand again!

#win

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

gotta love the alps
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

For the awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Awesome TR. We were supposed to hook up with Danny the last week of January for 2 guided days, but he was injured. It looks like his fillet ass cheek is healed well. Danny was very helpful and hooked us up with a great guide (Matt Farmer). Farmer was able to get us into some fun stuff when things went blue.

awesome tr, thanks. Love the x-country snowboarding video, had to pass that on to my snowboarding friends.

coolcoolbump.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

In case anyone is interested, the Col de Cristaux wasn't skiing as well a few days ago, as some friends went to find out:

http://joelevanschamonix.wordpress.c...-des-cristaux/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc01148.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	786.7 KB 
ID:	152331  
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Bwaahaaa!!!!!
    Loved the honeybridger and xcountry snowboarding vids

Laugh out loud therapy
    Thanx for sharing those along w your always inspiring euro adventures

Attaboy girl!!!!!!

Awesome TR - You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Thumbs up to Danny! He guided us to some greatness this first week of March. (Trip Report to come)
    It was nice running into you Liz... We were the group that ran into you twice, once on the forest road from the Plan de l'Aiguille. And once down in Switzerland.

A lot of living in few years. RIP
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Bumpin Betty

Miss ya darling.
    watch out for snakes

damn she sure was good at writing about skiing.
    makes me want to grin madly in the faces of my friends while I snake a line right out from under them and just fuckin charge the whole thing cause honey badgers don't give a shit. hahaha that was some amazing shit right there

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Bumpin Betty

Miss ya darling.
    Damn, she was a great young women. Makes me sad to read this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Bump for a sigh and chuckle. Miss ya BD.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!