130mm dynafit brake on a 112mm ski?

So I am looking at potentially getting a great deal on a pair of dynafit radical ft for my Hoji's. Only problem is the brakes are 130 and the hoji is 112.

Is this a bad idea?

Not exactly answer for your question, but close..

I use the wide brakes (130mm) of my dukes in both the 125mm skis and my 105mm skis.
    Havent had that much problems even if the 130mm brakes are a tad wide.
    I have hung up the brakes on each other though. Weird and unnerving feeling and if all
    the holes in the cheese would line up, a potentially dangerous situation could arise
    All it took to "unhook" was a slight flick of a ankle, but...

Dont remember the shape of the wide dynafit brakes, like if they would be less/more prone
    for hooking, but you are only talking about 18mm difference. Like, you would have 118mm brakes on
    a 100mm ski.
    If there is a close fit or you feel uncomfortable skiing with the setup, you can always scrounge up a pair
    of narrower set of brakes from the gearswap.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Trade them out with the 110mm brake version or you'll be stepping on your brakes and getting them caught up on your pant cuffs.
    This SUCKS and seems to happen at the worst possible moments! Usually in no-fall terrain.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

they only come in 110 or 130 so you are bending either size to fit, for too wide you can clamp pliers at the plastic brake and bend the arms in more at the ends you can figure out how much by deploying the brake

If you do this the arms will point down wards straighter into the snow for mo stopping power and not hook stuff, I got 130's on my lotus 120's and no problem, dynafit brakes don't stop all that well on hard piste by the way
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I thought radical brakes were not replaceable depending on vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by klikboom View Post
    ^^^ This is why i'm asking....

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-778/d...10+50006+50211

well you change the whole post for 88 $ ^^

http://www.mec.ca/product/5019-602/d...10+50006+50211

or back in the day it was just the brake for 70$ down to 25$ ^^^ which wasn't that hard IME, BUT now you may have trouble finding/changing just the brakes on a vert cuz the product is sunset

Too wide of a brake is not a problem while too narrow is, you can bend the pointy bits in so they don't stick out past the ski edge ... less likely to hook stuff

BTW, for all you good canadian boys Mec has dynafit verts on for 336 which is close to pro deal
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-26-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Not just hooking them on each other or your cuffs but also on vegetation and potentially dragging them on steeps when you really don't want to fall . . .
    I would go with the 110's. You can switch the brakes on newer Radical heels but you have to replace the entire lower half of the binding (base plate, brake and pivot post come pre-assembled).

Quote Originally Posted by klikboom View Post
    They're all replaceable/removable.

The newer ones with new "sprunged" length adjustment screw are very significantly more of a pain in the ass though.

OP should be able to find someone here that'll just do a straight forward base plate swap for 110s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I couldn't find anywhere that still has 110 mm vertical brakes in stock so I have 130's on my 191 charger (114 under foot). They pull in a bit when not deployed so I haven't snagged them on anything yet but I've mostly been using them in powder...I worry in tight brush but the biggest issues I've actually had has been that they don't hold the skis together as well for ski carry.

I'll try bending them in like xxx-er suggests. Googling around you can swap the arms themselves with ones from a pair of salomons which might be an option.

If they are replaceable then definitely go with the 110mm brakes. I just stretched the 110's slightly to fit over my billy goats (114) last week. I have had problems catching brakes on my pant leg in the past with 115 brake on a 105 skis and it is a PITA to have to think about.

The dynafit brakes deploy by going out and then down-n-out at an angle, I got 110's on my stokes which are only 108 but I still have them toed in towards the back of ski so the end of the brake tucks in completely in board of the ski sidewalls SO very little chance of catching the brake and they still clear the ski no problem on deployment

basicly you just bend the ends of the brake where the plastic meets the rod so the plastic brake part points straight down and yer good

I looked at the 130mms on the lotus 120's and it will work the same ...gona do it

Quote Originally Posted by hillmap View Post
    I'll try bending them in like xxx-er suggests. Googling around you can swap the arms themselves with ones from a pair of salomons which might be an option.
    so I bent the arms on the 130mm rads inwards about 1 cm, the pointy bits of the brake arms are now completely inboard of the ski edge and they still deploy

I used half a busted ski pole and some vise grips, hold the stomp pad of the brake down somehow while you hold the brake arm between the 90 degree bend and the binding, slip the ski pole over the pointy bit and reef on it till the arm is bent inwards as much as you want, the radical brake arms seem tougher to bend than I remember the vert arms but its not that hard

http://andrewcouncellmountainguide.w...-wider-brakes/

this is the rework salomon bindings link^^

The new radicals have brake options of 105 or 120... for a 112 ski should I size down or up? Since the brakes are non replaceable I'm tempted to get the 105s and bend them a little so I can use them on a thinner ski in the future.

I have the kingpins with a 100-125mm brake on a 103 underfoot ski and it seems that even when clicked in they stick out too far. Would the below possibly work as well? What are my options?

Learn to read reaally reaally good and page up a few spaces to where I told you how to bend/toe in the fucking brake arms at the plastic paddle area

Sorry for the drift but here it comes.

So the new radical isn't the best choice for sharing amongst a quiver of different widths via insert or plate would that be a fair statement? Was going to upgrade from my vertical st that I use sans stoppers on three different skis.

whats rong with your verts?

I got rads & verts the i don't really find one better than the other to use but the rads self destructed when the top plate peels off the heel piece

this happened to skiiny me, my skinny friends and lots of skinny people who were just walking along

They have redesigned the Rad 2.0 so this won't happen but if I were you I would just keep the Verts and use the B & D leash

^^as I put the finishing touches on my 4th acl repair (2x each) I hear things like elasticity and DIN release values and it gets my attention