Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tribute to the Squaw Palisades (pic thread)

So today was my last day skiing in 2005 (knee surgery next week) and I couldnt have had a better gift. Squaw went off yesterday, but they kept the Palisades for this morning. Since I am normally a weekend warrior I dont get to ski the Palisades (they are only open on weekdays).....but today I got my fix with six epic laps.

The Palisades are the most unique terrain feature I have ever skied. They are off Squaw Peak, which is a perfectly flat plateau with EPIC chutes coming off it. Compile that with a 0 tree runout that goes from 70 degrees to totally flat and you have a straightline paradise. For any skier who has not been there you need to put it on your life's to do list.

When you pick your chute (Extra, Tube, Box, Chimney Sweep) you literally set your skis down with the tips hanging over the edge. There is no single adrenaline rush that I enjoy more than the minute before you muster the courage to push off. The second you drop in the acceleration is awesome, and you have to hold everything together until you reach the bottom and manage to stop (or try hucking in and this is all multiplied). It rules.

So, before this morning I thought this whole season would go by without getting my chance. It is a crazy thing....maybe my favorite activity in the world and it is controlled by so many factors: need the perfect snow, need Squaw to open it, need to have perfect timing to get there before everyone slays it. I guess that is what makes the whole experience so special.

Here are some picts to try to give a feeling of the 'Sades.

The Palisades - Mar 25

Ahhh.....a good sign.

Looking down Extra Chute.

Dave Spear hucking The Box (notice he needs clear all the rocks).

Some guy I didnt know dropping The Tube.

Some other guy I didnt know.....The Tube (he just hit the point of no return).

Your's truly in The Tube.

This pic sucks....but the line was SICK. Dave Spear skiing an interesting variation of Extra.....look close he is in mid air under that little straightrun.

Dave Dougherty hucking a cliff most would never consider....the spine between the two Tubes.
    "With the helmut camera rolling, Dave Dougherty drops in"

The view from Headwall....two weeks ago.

This one is to show the times to come.....when some nice WET April storms plaster the Chimney (my fingers are crossed for all the Squaw skiers).
    Huckwheat circa 2000.

SO TAHOE MAGS......please add your own Palisades stories, pictures, and thoughts.
    Last edited by Huckwheat; 04-09-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Is that Schimdiot's next to the Chimney?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Is that Schimdiot's next to the Chimney?

Yes, but it didnt get skied that year.....it is even more rare than the rest of it.

Thumbs up

Schmidiodts is in the Chimney area, it is just the the lookers left of the person in the pic. In that photo it looks like its bare rock and unskiable.

Oh yeah, and great stoke dude.

does anyone have a pic from the top of schmidiots looking down? also, can someone put a photoshopped line down schmidiots in that pic above? that would be awesome.

Thats roughly the line down Schmidtiots.

Moments later, living up to his moniker....
    Last edited by Steezus Christ; 03-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus Christ
    Moments later....
    HOLY SHIT THAT IS HUGE!!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus Christ
    Moments later, living up to his moniker....

Nice....now that I would like to see. I am actually the one skiing the chute though, dont know who the dude on top is. (kinda hard to see)

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    Nice....now that I would like to see. I am actually the one skiing the chute though, dont know who the dude on top is. (kinda hard to see)
    oh shit didnt even see the dude in the chute...thats pretty Gnar!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Thumbs up

So according to Squallywood, The Tube is worth is worth 1,100 pts low snow, 900 mid, and 550 in high snow. I'm guessing this high snow time.

But how many extra points is it worth dropping into with a fully torn ACL? <- 'cause that's sick.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Huckwheat --> so breaking the doctors orders right now

sick bro

kick ass stoke, mang.

I was at squaw a few winters back with Powstash- we had what would have seemed rainy and crunchy conditions- but they opened the Palisades (just Main and National). Snow on top was purely bomber. Got so lucky- we though, 'no way is that stuff open' sure enough it was for a few hours! We got in a few laps on Main before they closed it down. Not enough snow for any of the other shots to be open that January, but damn they looked intimidating, and like one hell of a rush! - anywhere you looked.

Good Luck on the knee surgery and quick healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap
    Huckwheat --> so breaking the doctors orders right now

sick bro
    The Doc couldnt be nearly as pissed as Britney.

All's well that ends well.

If you want to learn about the Palisades, watch "Walls of Freedom" by Scott Gaffney. They skied just about every line possible and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    If you want to learn about the Palisades, watch "Walls of Freedom" by Scott Gaffney. They skied just about every line possible and then some.

Best...ski...movie...ever!!!

Feature length and sick the entire time.

has Huckwheat mentioned that he was ACTUALLY at Squaw for a work "ski day"? Way to make the most of of the off-site, ya stinker.

Way to get 'er done! That will definitely be something to think about as you go under anesthesia thinking about the perfection possible in life

And, assuming all's well that ends well, I'm super glad it ended well! Best of luck this week - can't wait for you to join the party

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    The Doc couldnt be nearly as pissed as Britney.

All's well that ends well.

Heh, wish my leg was anywhere near being skiable. Not sure how you're doing it, my leg barely supports me walking around right now. How bad was your tibial plataeu bruised?

Nice stoke!!! Pal is definitely on my "To Do" list. It wasn't open the last two times I've been there though. Hmmmm, skied with torn ACL????? I may have to take another trip before surgery

B)

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    Heh, wish my leg was anywhere near being skiable. Not sure how you're doing it, my leg barely supports me walking around right now. How bad was your tibial plataeu bruised?

I've in the same boat, tib plataeu is bruised bad, can barely keep weight on it right now. Quite impressive that he can ski that right now. Then again, it's the turning and pivoting that'll kill ya

Way to git sum!

B)

Just watch Walls Of Freedom. And watch Pete Bowers. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man
    I've in the same boat, tib plataeu is bruised bad, can barely keep weight on it right now. Quite impressive that he can ski that right now
    So, to talk to those points. I tore it on Dec 5, clean acl with some bone bruising....but it really never hurt that bad. First I got a Donjoy Defiance (the name says it all), and I took three weeks totally off. Then I just started going out for super small days (2 groomers at first). During the Jan storms I would go do 8 KT laps each day...then go home, spin on a bike, and use my IceMan. Finally after 2 months I started to feel like I could really ski, and the last month was actually good days out there.

For the sake of bumping this thread......doesnt anyone have some pictures or stories to add here......ANYONE, ANYONE?????

wish i did huckwheat. but i'll tell you right now, the squaw threads that have been up the last few weeks have done nothing but confirm my decision to move to norf lake as the correct one for me.
    i don't think i've ever had as much fun as i did during the early janruary storms. the place is special.

as far as acl tears, i also had little pain associated, and could walk fine afterwards. i did have some swelling and lack of rom that would have kept me out even if i had a brace. but by the time i went in for surgery (about three months after the tear) i had rehabed it to the point where i'm sure i could have skied with a brace. feels better now though, fixed, tight.

best of luck with your surgery, maybe i'll meet you next season.

3/25 was my first day ever at squaw, and it was fkn fantastic. mouth was fully agape the whole day... my wife and i did our first run down the hanging gardens, and the day just kept getting more magical. freaking stellar.