Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Greg Hill must be at least 45% insane

100 vertical KM's (328 000ft) in one month is , I'm really stoked to stay checked in and see how it goes. Not being able to do the same route twice really spices it up. Hardcore isn't enough of a word, someone needs to make up a better one for him.

Anyone know if he has to resort to eating sticks of butter to keep up with his energy expenditure?

Details:
    http://www.greghill.ca/
    http://earlyups.com/greg-hill-one-month-goal/
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Greg Hill is heroic. What a great pursuit. I'd love to simply hit it for a month of consecutive days. That would be cool at my level! He's amazing.

I'm no maths genius. Isn't that half his pace for his one year record? Wasn't that 20,000 feet per day? For a year? (Still awesome, still inspiring at any rate!)

You're right, you aren't a math genius.

2000000/365= 5479ft per day. x 30 days = 164000ft per month. Which when doubled = 328000ft per month, which = new goal.

So double pace.

An absolute ski touring machine.

Thats VERY cool to hear and most inspiring, I thot Greg Hill was done with clocking the big verts & had the Salomon gig but I guess he couldn't stay away

ps: not insane he is just trying to beat himself, to quote sir Ed ... "It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves."
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

on the promo video it looks like he might not be using a salomon guardian binding I wonder if it is old dynafit stock, or very new salomon stuff

Also seen a couple of pair dynafit skis in segments of that vid but who knows whats new and whats old ...i wouldn't assume anything

didn't he just sign on to develop skis?

No doubt the guy is fit and motivated beyond belief, but pushing huge days just like the time before, and the time before that, seems a bit redundant to me. Sure he's got to justify himself to his sponsors, and no doubt he'll leverage it with the latest social media whatever, but are we really supposed to care?

If he were using marker it'd be impressive, but.......

rog

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    are we really supposed to care?
    you either care ... or you don't

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post

rog
    well yes rog if he used marker he would be at least 45% insane

No doubt the guy is fit and motivated beyond belief, but pushing huge days just like the time before, and the time before that, seems a bit redundant to me. Sure he's got to justify himself to his sponsors, and no doubt he'll leverage it with the latest social media whatever, but are we really supposed to care?
    Says the guy advertising his blog in his signature...

Quote Originally Posted by powslut View Post
    Says the guy advertising his blog in his signature...
    I'm not saying you should care about my blog about either, but perhaps you can appreciate the difference between the rantings of a passionate enthusiast, and a crafted corporate commercial campaign. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that one might be consistent with the values of this community, and one might not.

I'm not saying you should care about my blog about either, but perhaps you can appreciate the difference between the rantings of a passionate enthusiast, and a crafted corporate commercial campaign. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that one might be consistent with the values of this community, and one might not.
    Wow, what a moronic assumption to make. What are you jealous or something? Comparing yourself to him, and then elevating yourself above him, as being more of a passionate enthusiast just makes you an asshat. You have to be pretty passionate about some thing to do what he did over the course of the year. In fact, that feat just proves he is probably a fuck of a lot more passionate than yourself. Good for him for making a living out of doing what he loves. So what value have you added to the "community" lately?

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Wow, what a moronic assumption to make. What are you jealous or something? Comparing yourself to him, and then elevating yourself above him, as being more of a passionate enthusiast just makes you an asshat. You have to be pretty passionate about some thing to do what he did over the course of the year. In fact, that feat just proves he is probably a fuck of a lot more passionate than yourself. Good for him for making a living out of doing what he loves. So what value have you added to the "community" lately?
    You seem to have misunderstood my point. At the risk of perpetuating an argument with someone who so clearly lacks comprehension skills, I'll make myself clear. In response to Powslut who called me out for "promoting" my blog, I described myself as a passionate enthusiast to contrast myself to Mr Hill, to the extent that my expressions in this forum and on my blog serve no purpose other than to amuse myself and the small number of people I interact with, whereas Mr Hill and his sponsors are clearly attempting to milk maximum commercial benefit out of a proposed feat, that seems only to be undertaken for said benefit, and is quite similar to what Mr Hill has already accomplished on two previous extended and well documented occasions. I don't know Mr Hill to compare our relative passion for skiing, but he seems a very nice man, a very passionate skier, and would certainly leave me in his wake on the skin track. I've followed his exploits in the past, and might again this time, but the promo video rubbed me the wrong way. You Banff fanboys sure get sensitive when someone isn't sufficiently reverential to your hero.

Nice touch of irony you have there, with the link to your own blog and everything!
    Damn, not all could have pulled that one off like a champ like you. Most people would have been ending up looking like
    envious little fucktards with and axe to grind or something.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I don't know Mr Hill
    We can tell. Greg enjoys seeing what he is capable of doing and Salomon enjoys promoting it. Your beef is with Salomon (and really the whole ski industry in general) not Greg.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    on the promo video it looks like he might not be using a salomon guardian binding I wonder if it is old dynafit stock, or very new salomon stuff
    Pretty sure new dynafit rig. Still on dynafit as far as know.

Good luck Greg! Look forward to the updates. Hopefully the current and future snow scenario of this seasons pwl's doesn't completely halt this project. My guess- safety wise project called off for this season. Bigger hype-bigger project next year. Either way. Awesome stoke to come in the future, by a true adventurist!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    We can tell.
    the couple year arc to full royal we defending never fails to crack me the fuck up. Still waiting and wondering where all the awesome shit he was supposed to cook up at Salomon is.

using marker
    The OP asked if GH was 45% insane, not 100% stoopid....

Assuming 3k laps would net couple hundred transitions. Anyone attempting w/o tech bindings would be in for total "rogering" from their gear -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

rog
    Ok, I laughed at a rog post.

rog
    I'd prefer doing lots of vert on dynafits and touring boots, because carrying heavy shit up hill sucks. And I've seen the guy ski and he doesn't suck, despite the fact that he has dynafits - somewhat anomalous ime.

Anyway, there is little doubt that I'm faster than virtually all of you old codgers/gapers, even with my heavy gear. So I'm happy to keep bagging peaks with my old/crappy gear, not posting "stoke", and not getting flamed by the establishment.

so now it begs the question ...

wotz the most vert in a year or a season on a split board ???
    I sure aint doin it.

ok ok ... so on one cares ... I get it ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Which in return begs the question: how many days of your life would you waste putting together said split-board during that year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Greg's Cousin is my next door neighbor, his brother visits often, I will ask about eating sticks of butter for you guys…..