Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    OK, time to fire this back up again. Word is it's been dumping up high, but looks like we could be in for a repeat of last year. Let's get some real data though from people up in Haines and out in the field. Not liking the most recent avy report:

http://alaskasnow.org/haines/conditions.php

Recent Weather Summary (Chart):

January 28th brought around 8-12" of low-density new snow to the interior zones, with upwards of 16" over the mountains near Haines. North winds were strong, and really picked up into early February.
    North winds were extreme from Feb. 4th-8th, with routine gusts over 100mph in channelled terrain and over mountaintops.

A storm on Feb. 8th dumped 15-24" of very low-density snow (Snow ratio 26:1 !), with strong north winds blowing it around.

Around 2" of precipitation fell from the 11th-14th, with snow levels rising to 2000ft. South winds came in on the 12th.

After a calm and dry week, rain and warmth has returned. Snow levels will hover near 4000ft Sunday and begin falling after a burst of heavier rain on Monday. There will be some clearing Tuesday before the next storm comes in Wednesday.

Danger: Considerable
    Precipitation is increasing today, and bewteen 2000-4000ft where we get rain on top of snow, there will be considerable wet slab danger. Above 4000ft, the fresh snow will be wet and heavy, and prone to slide in steep areas.
    The weak layer of biggest concern is low-density storm snow from the 9th, buried 30-60cm down. Keep an eye on this layer and watch the storm snow for signs of instability.

Evaluate each slope carefully and minimize your exposure to risk. Travel one-at-a-time through any areas of danger. Always wear a beacon, shovel, and probe.

I hope the winter of 2014-2015 dies a fiery death. The Neocolas are bone dry, whoda thunk?

was wondering where you heard Neocola's are bone dry? As for Haines read the local paper Chilkat Valley News.
    off your knees Louie

I based it on this and a couple of similar sources

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/wat..._snowdepth.pdf

Just some rumour through the grapevine:

"We've got warm temps here now with snow line at 2000' might go higher before it cools down again. It's mondo above 3000' maybe the best in a while. Reports are 8-9 meters of cumulative snowfall."

Oh, and this is published news to lend a bit more weight to that rumour:
    http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/sto...ason/7430.html

It's going to be sick there. There is several images posted by the ops, floating around on facebook. I have made a big bet on it being awesome and I think it's a winning bet.

[QUOTEOh, and this is published news to lend a bit more weight to that rumour:
    http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/sto...ason/7430.html[/QUOTE] hope you bought a subscription
    off your knees Louie

Z, were gonna need a camp spot in Haines

Quote Originally Posted by d542east View Post
    Just some rumour through the grapevine:

"We've got warm temps here now with snow line at 2000' might go higher before it cools down again. It's mondo above 3000' maybe the best in a while. Reports are 8-9 meters of cumulative snowfall."

Oh, and this is published news to lend a bit more weight to that rumour:
    http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/sto...ason/7430.html
    This makes me happy.

Yuh! Come on up! I know this sweet camp spot called the Funny Farm.

Scenic flight of the zone shows some great coverage. Warm winter, but wetter snow sure cakes the steep stuff. Things are looking really good. Will have good info & pictures within a few days.

Look up Fairweather Ski Works LLC on facebook, they're a small local ski builder there in Haines and have been posting up pictures throughout the season.

I dislike this thread. You guys really should start a new one about the awesome 2015
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 02-27-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: rudness

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I dislike this thread. You guys really should start a new one about the awesome 2015
    Sorry I can't change that damn thread title, or I don't know how...