Mexico surf trip in May. Where to go?

Planning an anniversary trip down south in May for some surfing and sun. THinking about Cabo, or elsewhere. Wife wants more of a all inclusive resort kinda thing, I just want to surf some decent waves and then raid a wetbar. Having a hard time narrowing it down. Read Ottime's thread and that gave a ton of great info.

We are not necessarily opposed to Costa Rica or Nicaragua either, just don't know much about them. Hawaii isn't out of the question, but we've been there so many times, it'd be nice to do something different. I'm not a great surfer, so hudge waves aren't really a must, but I'd like to have at least a few medium beach breaks to play on.

This is where i'm hoping to go in November: http://www.loscardones.com/ in Nica.
    Might not be swanky enough for wife but the beach break in front of the lodge is super chill, maybe 1 or 2 other people unless it's the weekend, then maybe a dozen. Their version of wetbar is you buy your bottle[s] of rum for $12 then drink it up w/free cokes. Beer's a buck or so. Ecolodge concept, way into sea turtle conservation and supporting the locals, for example many employees bike to work. If you want to rent a bike it's $5/day, it's the cook's bike, and he gets all the cash. Buddy works there, feel free to pm any questions...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^Jesus. Good luck finding as good of a board selection anywhere else in Nica. That looks like a really solid option. I am going to try to spend a few days there on my next trip down.

Edit: Oh, yeah, back to OP. Mexico certainly has some options. I would just add that I have never gotten a trip in to Nicaragua without waves. It's not going to be huge in May, but you will get consistent surf. Also, you can have Cordones pick you up, and that will take care of any safety concerns.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

if you want affordable but a bit nicer you can stay at the grand pacifica right near los cardones.

if you go to CR, mid december thru mid february can provide the best winds. mostly offshore for much if not all day.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    if you want affordable but a bit nicer you can stay at the grand pacifica right near los cardones.

if you go to CR, mid december thru mid february can provide the best winds. mostly offshore for much if not all day.

rog
    really good call, forgot about that fairly swanky property just up the beach from Los Cardones. LosC also has a number of small homes in a budding development between it and the grandP, which would be between the two properties in terms of amenities.

have you surfed there rog? Good place for a beginner?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm in Punta Mita right now, and will post up more, int hat thread, after I get home.

The surf here as been relatively small and gentle. Not really my sort of thing, but it has been fun enough to get 6 sessions in five days. Great place to come with the 70+ yr old in laws and the 2.5 yr old mini me. I think of it as Mexico Light. Super easy access from the airport, and little hassle by Mexico standards. I've been on the long board, that came with the condo, each day, and the surf has not been inspiring enough to drive into town to rent a fish. Coral Reef has a pretty great selection of rental boards though, including a bunch of high volume 5.8-6.10 length boards. And this places seems like where SUPpers go to die. Food is pretty awesome though. And even if the surf is not inspiring, the lack of material in the modern day bikini bottom, and the predominately lady crowd in the water, might be enough to get most men to paddle out and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    really good call, forgot about that fairly swanky property just up the beach from Los Cardones. LosC also has a number of small homes in a budding development between it and the grandP, which would be between the two properties in terms of amenities.

have you surfed there rog? Good place for a beginner?
    Nope. Just CR. Many friends have tho. Every report i get is a mixed bag of conditions and other people in the water. I'm just too spoiled here in maine to want to leave.

Heard it can be good for beginners if quite small, but a bit on the powerful side for beginners once it approaches chest high plus.

Stories make it sound more like CR's other coast

That i have experienced. Heavy in more ways than one.......

Id go to nosara.

Rog

Swung by Sayulita today. I liked the town a bunch. Did not surf, but hung on the beach for an hour or so playing in the sand with the little guy. Surf looked fun. Not world class, but not as boring as I would have suspected from reports I've read. Again, more later, but I like this place.

Not sure about May, but the weather if fucking perfect here right now. Upper 60s as sunrise, upper 80s in the afternoon. Very slight sea breeze to keep it from feeling too hot. Water hanging at just about 78.

I really enjoyed my time in CR, and almost as much in Panama, but too be honest, I found those places to be a little to hot for my liking. But, I don't love the hot hot heat. Something to consider. You can still be active mid afternoon here. I had to lay in a hammock in the shade most afternoons in CR.

What kind of budget are you looking at OP? Other activities besides surfing?

Nosara is a pretty good place, but I think it has blown up a bit since I was there 15 years ago. It does have a variety of waves and picks up both NW and S swell, so it ususlly has something.

I've found that most gals love Sayulita, but if the wife's looking for an all inclusive hotel experience, there are such resorts sitting front and center at Monuments (Cabo) and Burros (Punta Mita). Only certain ladies appreciate hanging out at some dirtbag dude-fest.

THanks for the advice guys. Tye, seriously looking at that option.
    As far as budget, we are looking to spend probably 3-4K all together with airfare. Flying to CR and Nicaragua is more expensive, but getting cheaper accommodation makes that more realistic. Probably spending about 10 days.

The wife is warming up to the idea of a non-resort, surf camp idea. But it's gotta be somewhere, safe, relaxing, and she's worried about bugs.

And Ottime, thanks for the beta on Sayulita. That's been on my radar since we have a few friends around that area. Looking into that too. Still pretty wide open.

Again, I'll put more together later. Still working on pics.

Punta Mita was about perfect for traveling with a 2yr old and two senior citizens with little 3rd World experience.

Plenty if surf here. Warm water and air. Know that I spent six days exploring I am sure I can score some surf here. Both fun Lon board type spots and heavier short board style spots. If anyone heads that way, be sure to PM me for car access to a few spots. Super easy.

Punta Mita had some couples, but mostly young families and senior citizens. It was safe and had excellent food. Mostly condo style lodging. We paid $175/night for a luxury condo with a killer pool above the beach. Walk to a small wave out front and a bunch of restaurants. Condo came with two longboards (which made all the difference) two boogie boards, snorkel gear, beach chairs, etc. I would not call the food cheap by Mexico standards, but it is actually Chef created food. Cheaper food is around as well.

It would be great for a couple who want some finer food, an mellow evenings. No Discotecha, and no ragin bars.

Without a car, a long board spot is 20 minutes beach walk. A heavier point is maybe 30 minute cobblestone walk with a cove break 10 minutes be beyond that. Boats will take you to those, or other spots for 600 pesos (about 45)

Sayulita has more character, color and activity. I imagine there is a disco an without doubt several ragin bars. There is pretty much three peaks along the beach to surf and plenty if folks in town wanting to surf. While I did surf with 30 people at Punta Mita, I also surfed alone several times. There are just more places to go. Sayulita had some cheap food an some pricey food. We had way better food (if you are a foodie type) in Punta Mita, although the street food looked awesome in Sayulita.

Where I surfed I left stuff on the beach. Even a camera once. I would not leave stuff around in Sayulita. Too crowded.

If I did it again, with the same crew, I'd stay at the same spot. Same condo. The two spots are 20-25 minutes drive apart.

If I was looking for a surf trip with pumping surf with my buddies, I'd go else where.

May should be good for Punta Mita as the souths really get in the bay.

JAJAAAAA

Way to bump a 5 month old thread with some valuable content. And you wonder why everyone thinks your a tool. Hope you are enjoying that good life you like to talk about. As long as it keeps your sickness in check, I guess it is worth it.