Check Out Our Shop
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    I don’t have an answer for you but I screwed on my Deftrap pedals the other day and noticed that both spindles are bent. I really like the feel of these but I assume the axles are just thin/weak to save weight by and thickness.

Atlas all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Bumping this because I broke a Deftrap today on a random rock strike. I just put the Deftraps on this year and I really like the feel over the one up composites I have been running but cracking a pedal body in half in less than 10 rides is a problem when the oneups lasted for like 4 years. I want durable, big platform, lots of grip and moderate concavity. Size 47 2fo shoes.
    Thinking aluminum is the right answer here and debating tmacs, daggas, dameons, scarabs or occults. Anyone been in multiples of these to compare?
    What kind of riding do you do?

I’ve been running tmacs for four seasons and don’t have any regrets/desires. Pretty even mix of park and trail riding with some racing mixed in. I’ve beat them to shit and they still work fine.

One note on the pins - the Tmacs look like they have the least aggressive pins of the bunch on your list and I can tell you they still do a number on your soles. With pins like on the most of the other options I could see blowing through a pair of shoes in a single season, but if you’re trying to maximize grip maybe you’re ok with that. Daggas also seem unnecessarily heavy.

Just fork over the cash for Vaults.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I have daggas. I like them a lot. The daggas have a wide platform for my wide feet. I can reposition my foot easily, which is surprising given the insane grip. Perhaps they are not very concave (I'll need to look?) I had daemons they are great too; however, I had a very difficult time getting my feet positioned just right the first try requiring a "lift and reposition" almost every time I got on the bike or took a foot off.

Pedal and lift served on both pedals.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Riding is pedal access steep tech (Seattle i90) with the occasional lift day. Weight is a secondary concern. I’m a cheap bastard so cost is a factor but durability is more important. I like the idea of only a little concavity for more usable positions.
    Vaults are supposed to have shit bushings so not on my list given the amount of slop these will see.

T-Macs have awesome grip, good concavity, and good sealing/durability in my experience.

I just put on a pair of the newer Hope F22s, they're a smidge less grip than the T-Macs, but weigh a lot less and are easier to reposition your feet on after you dab/put a foot out.

Riding is pedal access steep tech (Seattle i90) with the occasional lift day. Weight is a secondary concern. I’m a cheap bastard so cost is a factor but durability is more important. I like the idea of only a little concavity for more usable positions.
    Vaults are supposed to have shit bushings so not on my list given the amount of slop these will see.
    I've serviced mine once in 4 season.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I buy a yeti so I have spent a lot of money and the least shop bro bro can do is hang some pedals on it so plastic race face chesters really ?

Shop bro who i trust, the same guy who does the ordering sez I have sold 150 pairs of those chesters and mayeb one pair came back and so 3 years later they seem fine, of course YMMV
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tell me about flat pedals

TMAC is the gold standard. They’ve got traditional grub screws instead of the little pinners that come on all the plastic pedals. Which means they’re more durable and cheaper/easier to swap out. And they don’t tear the fuck out of your shoe rubber. Also means repositioning is easier because they aren’t stuck in the shoe. Yet somehow they still grip really well.
    Crank Bros Stamp large is similar, but definitely not as solid. Worth it if you can find them a lot cheaper than TMACs.
    I know nothing about those Dagga pedals but they look sick.
    Atlas are too small. And they have a nasty habit of exploding mid ride. And proprietary pins can fuck off.
    Spank Spike are similar to Atlas in every way except they trade explodering for stiff spindle. Still too small. Still proprietary pins.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jm2e; 04-21-2024 at 10:09 PM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

A lot of people sleep on the Chromag Contact since it's marketed as a DJ pedal (it does come a bit closer to your crankarm than others) but man, if you have narrow feet like me it's been my favorite. This all after trying the TMAC, vaults, anvl tilts, etc.

buuuuut now I ride clips almost exclusively so suppose I should frig off here

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    TMAC is the gold standard. They’ve got traditional grub screws instead of the little pinners that come on all the plastic pedals. Which means they’re more durable and cheaper/easier to swap out. And they don’t tear the fuck out of your shoe rubber. Also means repositioning is easier because they aren’t stuck in the shoe. Yet somehow they still grip really well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The grub screws are negative to some, and that is why they don't interest me. They tear out easier, leaving you with a buggered hole.

Formerly Rludes025

Leaning chromag. I have radars in my sons bike and they seem well built. Thinking Dagga is the call but also scarab curious.

Deity will give me 50%off a set of crash replacements so probably going to take that too and use the deftraps on the hardtail for kid rides since they grip way better than my old oneups. I just don’t think I can trust the deftraps on consequential terrain again after that break.

Leaning chromag. I have radars in my sons bike and they seem well built. Thinking Dagga is the call but also scarab curious.

Deity will give me 50%off a set of crash replacements so probably going to take that too and use the deftraps on the hardtail for kid rides since they grip way better than my old oneups. I just don’t think I can trust the deftraps on consequential terrain again after that break.
    My wife runs her Scarabs into all sort of shit, they have held up well.

Formerly Rludes025

I got a pair of 5.10 knockoff look-a-likes made by a shoe company called " Troop " which I had never heard of, I think my 5.10s fit better/ function better as a bike shoe so I don't recommend buying the troops, but I was biking along and they were laying in the ditch brand new in my size, somebody had obviously put them on the roof of the car and they flew off in the middle of no where

I looked at those fooker pedals on line and ok so they look the same but the plastic is the easy part are the things you can't see the spindle/ seal/ bearings the same and bearing the same SO I just got another pair of Chesters in black cuz altho its great to match color to my bike & tire logo's the pedals look like shit from dirt & abuse pretty quick.

On an e-bike I tend to just keep pedaling to keep the motor boiling so the pins all get trashed real quick from pedal strikes, I took all the pins out of one side so need to flip them around to use the pins but they don't get thrrashed

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    On an e-bike I tend to just keep pedaling to keep the motor boiling so the pins all get trashed real quick from pedal strikes
    x1000. ebikes murder pedals.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I can completely kack all the pins on both sides of a Chester in half a season but when I take the pins out of one side I always flip them around to use the pins so a year later the pins are like new also it doesnt sound as bad when you hit rocks with no pins

Definitely! Still hitting some rocks but my bb has gradually got higher, cranks shorter and pedals thinner and thats helped a lot. For yrs my bb kept getting lower now im regressing. Running flip chip in high setting and went from 160 fork to 170 to 180 and cranks from 165 to 160(maybe trying 155) and my canfield crampons are thin and hold up amazing. Pulled a few pins off them and anondizing looks worse for wear but basically working as new 5yrs later although some dont like the convex shape i like them.
    Still on ride concept shoes. They hold up really well and have great grip and they usually have 50% off sales on previous years stock. Tempted by the new yt/vans collab shoe. Cant remember tge model name but theyre basicslly half cabs with an improved wrap rubber rand(say that 3x fast!)

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

I run OneUp composites, work great. Thin, durable, can get on sale for $35 if you are patient. I see no reason to buy more expensive pedals, they check all boxes but don't impress others like the blingy stuff does. I run 160 cranks too for pedal clearance. Thin pedals a +.

After switching away from my one up composites to deftraps and a buddy’s vaults I can’t believe I rode those. Grip on the concave pedals is so much better and I’m not constantly moving my feet to make them stick.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I run OneUp composites, work great. Thin, durable, can get on sale for $35 if you are patient. I see no reason to buy more expensive pedals, they check all boxes but don't impress others like the blingy stuff does. I run 160 cranks too for pedal clearance. Thin pedals a +.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I can completely kack all the pins on both sides of a Chester in half a season but when I take the pins out of one side I always flip them around to use the pins so a year later the pins are like new also it doesnt sound as bad when you hit rocks with no pins
    Plus the price of Chesters makes it so you dont lose sleep over beating the shit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Plus the price of Chesters makes it so you dont lose sleep over beating the shit out of them.
    If youre killing more pedals thats rocks telling you to adjust your bb/pedal height. Cheap pedals are still going to toss you into the bush

After switching away from my one up composites to deftraps and a buddy’s vaults I can’t believe I rode those. Grip on the concave pedals is so much better and I’m not constantly moving my feet to make them stick.
    10000000000000000000x this

Convex pedals are fucking retarded. I can't believe people still make them.

Vaults are some of the best pedals out there, though not the thinnest.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Someone should make concave handlebars and grips!! Super thiccc ones

Anyone have experience with the vans wafflecup sole? I'm stuck on flats while recovering from a knee injury and have already roasted the sk8-his that I used for dirt jumping. Don't want to spend a ton since this is a stopgap and vans has the BMX Style 114s on sale. Would be great to upgrade from the standard gum sole.

Feel free to also suggest other grippy flat pedal shoes with at least a mid-height medial cuff to protect my bony ankles.