Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trex_9 View Post
    BillyGoat looks like a great shape, but its all to similar to the bibby, unless I am missing something.
    Bibby is a full twin, the BG is directional and the tail rocker is way less than it looks like on the ON3P web site (which is a good thing). It's much more capable of charging (IMO) for a ski that's still playful.

On that note, Scott & crew - you guys should considering doing photo-based sketches of the actual rocker / camber profiles on your web site next year. Just a suggestion that I think might appeal to a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by trex_9 View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the insight! I realize they are two incredibly different skis and what I feel the bibby is lacking for me i think the Wren will pick up.

I have definitely been drinking the TGR kool aid a little too much and trying to justify the 191 but the 186 will likely be the ticket.
    trex,

I own the 190 Bibby (dont like), 191 Billy and 191 Wren and for what you are looking for the 186 Wren sounds absolutely perfect... And for your size the 186 would be money... I am 6'4" and 207 lbs and love the 191... I love the Billy and and it gets a ton of love around here, but I still have a spot in my quiver for the Wren and there are def situations and conditions that I prefer the Wren over the Billy...

One thing is for sure you will not find a more bomber, well built, industructible ski than ON3P...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    On that note, Scott & crew - you guys should considering doing photo-based sketches of the actual rocker / camber profiles on your web site next year. Just a suggestion that I think might appeal to a lot of folks.
    agree! find it much better to see real ski based profile than weird sketches...

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    We are probably going to do a small run of GC tops for sale in May.

We will be at:

Brighton on Sunday - 4/13
    Any way to hook up with trying the Jeffery 122 for a Soli skier.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Any way to hook up with trying the Jeffery 122 for a Soli skier.
    Think you could swing over, grab them, ski for a hour or two, and return them? We only have one pair set up for demo. I can let them know you will be by. Just let me know what time. Thanks!
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    We are probably going to do a small run of GC tops for sale in May.
    Because one can never have too many skis or too man pairs of ON3Ps, you can put me down for a pair of these bad boys. I've always lusted after a pair of GCs.

Can anyone let the masses know how much camber the Jeffrey 114 has? Was hoping for it to be flat underfoot like its big brother.
    Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by tpacent View Post
    Can anyone let the masses know how much camber the Jeffrey 114 has? Was hoping for it to be flat underfoot like its big brother.
    Same as the current Jeffrey (cambered, not flat like the Caylor/Jeffrey 122). We've tested both flat and cambered Jeffreys and much prefer the responsiveness and stability of the cambered profile (for an all mountain ski). For a powder-oriented ski, we really like the flatter camber, longer rocker profile on the Jeffrey 122, but we see the Jeffrey 114 as a do-it-all West Coast ski, so we like the camber in there for non-deep days.

So, I got the opportunity to try out a few models from next years line this past Saturday at Alta, and for the most part was very impressed.

Weather on test day was cool in the morning, warming to about 50 degrees and partly sunny, then turning into 30, windy and snowy by 2:30, then sunny and about 40 by the end of the day....pretty variable, but good to test some skis.

A little about myself... 6'1, between 180-185 lbs, compete on the FWQ, grew up skiing on the east coast. Definitely more of a charger than a jibber, 3's and backies are typically the tricks you'll see me throw, getting a bit more creative on deeper days.

First off, I'll say I LOVE how ON3P stays with camber/zero camber and doesn't go full reverse on any skis, no surprise that versatility is one of ON3P's many strong points.

The first ski I took out was the 191 Jeffery 122 and was blown away. Super smooth and consistent but stout flex throughout the ski. Made any size turn you wanted (forward or switch) with ease and ski was comfortable doing so. Took them over to bad news cliffs and singled a double about 20 feet into manky, cement like snow and stomped like I never left the ground, continuing at mach looney through a chopped runout and felt in complete control. On the firm stuff, I had zero problems with how it handles for a 122mm waisted ski, you can lay some trench on these. Felt like the ski had the perfect amount of rocker, no crazy chatter, yet remained insanely playful. This ski is fucking dialed...and I didn't even ski it in pow pow. I absolutely hope to be on these next season.

Next I took out the 186 Jeffery 114. This ski acted just as you would expect, a narrower 122 with the added bite of camber underfoot. Again, had a stout and consistent yet playful flex. The ski absolutely rails firm stuff and skied switch great but when I got off trail into the mank and started pushing the envelope, I ran into my issue with the ski, the 186 length...it wasn't enough. I am a little bit bigger of a guy, but when I really started getting forward and aggressive, I found myself getting into the tip rocker of the ski and getting a little over-the-bars sensation. IMO, if anything were to change on the ski, I would loooooove to see a 191 size. If this happened, I would drop my 193 Gunsmokes like a bad habit, and that ski is one of my all-time faves for an all-around west coast playful charger (hint hint).

Last, despite being bummed about hearing the 191 Wrenegade wasn't coming back for 14/15, I decided to give the 186 Wren a shot. The ski did impress me with what I could throw at it given it's size, however, when I really throttled down on the 186, I felt like I would really benefit from the extra 5 cm's of length. I sent the same double as a single that I did with the 191 Jeffery 122's (about a 20 footer) and upon landing, got thrown way forward on the ski, somehow pulled out of it and didn't eat shit, then just felt like I needed more ski on the high speed mank/chunder runout. It felt like I was again pushing into the tip rocker of the ski The extra stability of a 191 would absolutely help with bigger/faster lines and bigger cliff sends for bigger skiers.

All in all, I really think ON3P's 14/15 line is superior to just about anyone else in every aspect (Construction, performance, durability etc.) I would just REALLY like to see an even slightly stiffer 191 Wren 112 and a 191 offering in the Jeffery 114. Again, I'm a little bit of a bigger guy and for those who are sub 5'10ish (80% of aggressive skiers), you probably have nothing to worry about, but for the 6'0 plus chargers, the longer lengths would be tremendously beneficial. (another hint hint)

^^^ Good feedback. I agree that the Jeffrey 122 is pretty much the cat's ass. I have enjoyed a lot of time on it in the 191 and I notice the small tweaks from the Caylor coming into play in a positive way (taper, in particular).

The Jeffrey 114 in 186 is actually the most surprising ski for me (tied with Wren 102, I guess) after all the testing we have done and I now have a pair due to how much I like them. Super versatile from groomers to chunder to my old-ass park attempts.

Good to see all of the positive feedback on the updated stiffness on the 186 Wren 112 from the Colorado crew and others. I was the first person to go out and ski them before we let them out to test and within three runs had a huge smile on my face. The ski will be a better ski for 90% of the riders out there looking to still charge, and the ski is now much easier to handle in bumps and tight chop than the older 191.

Also, there is some chatter amongst us about a 191 Jeffrey 114...perhaps the future will be kind to your desires, DerekPersson .
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Also, there is some chatter amongst us about a 191 Jeffrey 114...perhaps the future will be kind to your desires, DerekPersson .
    God I hope so.

A *cough* 191 Wrenegade *cough* would be quite swell too...

DP- thanks for the review.

And also - WHAT HE SAID. Bring da 191 Jeffrey 114. I will buy
    one step forward, no step backward

Open question to any others that have had a chance to try the new line-up over the last two months...

1) Favorites? What stands out to you? What would you change about other models besides the Wren 112? (you spoke, we listened)...we think things are looking great for next season, but we MAY have some bias

2) Is the expansion of demos into various regions (hang on Tahoe, next year!) helping to cement decisions on purchases for next season? Have you been able to direct friends, family, peers, enemies into trying ON3P due to an increased demo schedule?

Curiosity, more than anything.

GRRRRRIIIIZZZZZLLLLYYYYCOOOORN

By the way, I love these skis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grizzlycorn.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	519.0 KB 
ID:	154624

Open question to any others that have had a chance to try the new line-up over the last two months...

1) Favorites? What stands out to you? What would you change about other models besides the Wren 112? (you spoke, we listened)...we think things are looking great for next season, but we MAY have some bias

2) Is the expansion of demos into various regions (hang on Tahoe, next year!) helping to cement decisions on purchases for next season? Have you been able to direct friends, family, peers, enemies into trying ON3P due to an increased demo schedule?

Curiosity, more than anything.
    1) I only skied the Wren, both widths, and am now fixated on ON3P skies....LOVED the 112 (186 cm) in the conditions at Schweitzer the day I demoed them (the 102's skied well also) . They skied where you pointed them, tips were not "hooky" at all, they had a huge sweet spot, flex pattern was continuous with no distinct transition spot from soft to stiff. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, this is an important feature for me. Lesser skis can feel like the tip is going to fold up if I push them too hard in the wrong conditions and/or my form gets a bit sloppy, weight gets forward at all or I drive with the tips...Like many others, a 191 Wren would be a request.

2) Yes and Yes! Being able to demo these skis is what introduced me to and quickly sold me on ON3P. Spent several days finding out all I could about your skis after my demo day and would still like to demo the BG and Jeffrey plus get the Wren in some deeper, softer snow to see how they do there. I have already decided I need to buy one of these ON3P skis next season, just want to get a bit more on snow info, weigh the differences and then decide which would be the best one for me...

Keep up the great work.

A new fan and future customer....
    Last edited by SunandH2o; 04-24-2014 at 11:01 PM.

By the way, I love these skis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grizzlycorn.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	519.0 KB 
ID:	154624
    So, um, let me know when these are on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    When are we getting you guys to show-up at WB? Ever?
    last weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    last weekend...
    THIS...sorry you missed it, canwilf!

As for how we make skis, we are not changing the inner workings any time soon. Still will be bamboo/carbon/PNW destroyers (but trust me, they seem to work JUST fine in Colorado blower ).

Quote Originally Posted by SunandH2o View Post
    1) I only skied the Wren, both widths, and am now fixated on ON3P skies....LOVED the 112 (186 cm) in the conditions at Schweitzer the day I demoed them (the 102's skied well also) . They skied where you pointed them, tips were not "hooky" at all, they had a huge sweet spot, flex pattern was continuous with no distinct transition spot from soft to stiff. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, this is an important feature for me. Lesser skis can feel like the tip is going to fold up if I push them too hard in the wrong conditions and/or my form gets a bit sloppy, weight gets forward at all or I drive with the tips...Like many others, a 191 Wren would be a request.

2) Yes and Yes! Being able to demo these skis is what introduced me to and quickly sold me on ON3P. Spent several days finding out all I could about your skis after my demo day and would still like to demo the BG and Jeffrey plus get the Wren in some deeper, softer snow to see how they do there. I have already decided I need to buy one of these ON3P skis next season, just want to get a bit more on snow info, weigh the differences and then decide which would be the best one for me...

Keep up the great work.

A new fan and future customer....

AWESOME to hear. Yes, I can see someone your size lusting after a Wren 112 in the 191...but it is great to hear that you still are able to enjoy and rock the 186. That confirms some discussions we have had internally and gives us a good direction to look towards in the near future.

Demos are a huge thing for us to be able to get people on our skis in as many places as possible. We will continue to do this in the future.

Glad you have decided to go with a pair, and hope you can decide WHICH pair is right for you. Unless you feel the need for a three ski quiver, which we can also help you out with .

THIS...sorry you missed it, canwilf!
    So this bears some mentioning, actually. The demos were awesome and (I think and hope) well worth your time. Having been to a LOT of manufacturer demos though, here's some suggestions.

1) They definitely could be promoted better. They got posted here, for sure, but not always in good, obvious spots. Many times it was just iggy throwing a post up 2-3 pages deep in some random ON3P thread. You did a better job with the CO demos, especially the first two. That shit should be on your Facebook page every time, front and center on your website, and you should contact your retailers and let them know about upcoming events. I was in WildyX just before the Apr Loveland demo and they had no idea there was an ON3P demo coming up. Your retailers want to sell your skis, and they will happily pimp the shit out of your upcoming demos. Just make sure the people working the demo know who the retailers are and send happy demo-goers to them.
    2) Have duplicate pairs of skis in the popular models/sizes. You probably have a good feel now for which skis are constantly requested. A couple extra pairs of those will get a lot more people on your skis.

Other than that, you guys already know my thoughts on the skis

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    I noticed the 'How we make skis' link on the site says 'Under Construction'. Will they still have bamboo cores and rock PNW snow?

When are we getting you guys to show-up at WB? Ever? The skis are really good for the conditions and terrain we have here -- it would be great to be able to demo them locally (and buy them locally) or be inspired to go on another 3-day vacation to Oregon to save both the tax and duty!

Of course, I'll man the demo tent in exchange for some free skis
    Sorry that you missed it. This year's "demo tour" got throw together pretty quickly and next year, with some planning, we will get the word out much better. Just too much to do with too little time.

Ski construction is the same, and thanks for the heads up on the construction page. I guess we forgot to update it.

As for shops in Vancouver/Whistler, bother them for us and let them know they should pick us up. We've been doing well in all of Western Canada, except in Whistler and Vancouver where it has been tough to get a shop to even take a look at us. We do have dealers in Smithers, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, and Regina. Nothing in Vancouver yet, though. Definitely a location we are working on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    So, um, let me know when these are on sale.
    Small 20 pair run available for sale in May.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    So this bears some mentioning, actually. The demos were awesome and (I think and hope) well worth your time. Having been to a LOT of manufacturer demos though, here's some suggestions.

1) They definitely could be promoted better. They got posted here, for sure, but not always in good, obvious spots. Many times it was just iggy throwing a post up 2-3 pages deep in some random ON3P thread. You did a better job with the CO demos, especially the first two. That shit should be on your Facebook page every time, front and center on your website, and you should contact your retailers and let them know about upcoming events. I was in WildyX just before the Apr Loveland demo and they had no idea there was an ON3P demo coming up. Your retailers want to sell your skis, and they will happily pimp the shit out of your upcoming demos. Just make sure the people working the demo know who the retailers are and send happy demo-goers to them.
    2) Have duplicate pairs of skis in the popular models/sizes. You probably have a good feel now for which skis are constantly requested. A couple extra pairs of those will get a lot more people on your skis.

Other than that, you guys already know my thoughts on the skis
    Dead on with both. Some demos were better planned than others, and some were even through our retailers. That said, we didn't have a demo vehicle until about 9pm the night before we left for SIA, so the tour got thrown together very quickly. We could have definitely done a better job getting the word out, but that is just how things worked out this year. We are planning our 14/15 demo tour this summer, so dates will be on the website in the fall and promotion will be better overall.

I like to keep spamming in the forums to a minimum, so that is why we didn't make a thread for every single demo that we held. Next year we will try to get one single thread going with all the dates.

That said, even with the lack of exposure each demo day has been slammed. We know we need some more pairs of the high volume ski. As it is, the truck is pretty full and we still don't have the whole fleet in there. We are working on getting some smaller regional fleets going for next season, so that we can have demos running in CO and other places multiple times per month, all season (albeit with 10-15 skis, not the 40 pair fleet we are currently travelling with).

This is new ground for us, so still very much working out the details. Next year should be great and we hope to have skis available for people to try all over N. America.

My favorites were the Steeples in both widths. Kind of surprised they're not getting more attention around here.

Glad you guys went to Monarch, it was a great place to demo, could ride 2 lifts and get the skis through all types of terrain in 30 minutes or less.

As far as demos, a few signs to scatter around to let folks know you're there couldn't hurt, like parking lot entrance. Knew you guys were supposed to be at Monarch, being a pow day I was first chair and kept looking for you guys, but didn't see you until I went to that bottom lift and could see you from there.

My favorite ON3P skis I've been on are the Steeple 102.
    I'm 5'11" and 175 pounds for reference.

I demoed the Steeple 102 (184), Steeple 112 (184), Billy Goat 186, and Jeffrey 114 (186) at Stevens Pass last month. Since then I've acquired a pair of 2013 Vicik 186 and been on them just one day so far.

All of these 2015 ON3P skis were excellent, but the Steeple 102 really speaks to me and I've committed to buying a pair for next season. The Steeple 102 was so good that I made sure to demo them at the beginning and end of the day, since I was so obviously enamored with them on my first runs of the morning on a rather average day at Stevens Pass. I plan to put Marker F12 EPF bindings on them and dedicate them as my daily driver and occasional touring ski.

^^Compare Steeple (both widths) to 186 Billy Goat??
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Compare Steeple (both widths) to 186 Billy Goat??
    I liked the Steeple 112 (184) a little more than I liked the Billy Goat 186.
    They were both great, but the Steeple 102 and 112 were more nimble in tight areas, whereas the Billy Goat had more crud busting/charging personality than I need.
    The slightly shorter Steeple lengths seemed easier to maneuver in general, but that could also be due to their weight differences compared to the Billy Goat.
    I really liked the Billy Goat, but I loved the Steeples, especially the 102.