Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    still lovin' my Viciks...looking forward to trying out both widths of Steeples

Totally different ski than the Viciks, but something about the Steeples speaks to me.

Scott, any thoughts about how the Steeples ski versus the Viciks?
    Steeple 112 is easier to ski in soft than Vicik, turns super quick, but also locks into medium to long radius turns with the tail taper and side cut...the ski is soooooo much more fun than I thought it was going to be. It is fairly easy to flex due to the tour layup (duh, soft snow touring ski), but it feels very light on your feet.

The Vicik was a nice ski, but the RES in the Steeple is a dream in any kind of soft snow.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Scott, care to compare the 186 Prester (this year's cuz next year it's discontinued) to the 186 Kartel?

Looking for a playful all-mountain twin that I can take through the park and goof around on low-snow days, but is still stiff enough to rip hardpack and charge in variable conditions. Just not a huge fan of tail rocker, which is what's motivating the question. Also considering mounting up a pair of 10.11 191 Wrens at -6 from center...

PS. The BG kills it.
    I assume you are asking about the Kartel 98?

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    To just preempt it before everyone freaks out, as a few people were in another thread, these weights are far from final. We ran out of the material we use on Tour models (a different, lighter bamboo) and had to use our stock material on our show skis.

The information here is for our retail catalog and I don't lie to my retailers, so I was honest about the weights of the show skis we displayed at SIA. Our retailers are all aware that the production skis will be lighter and not worried, so you shouldn't be worried either about a ski that won't be available for another 6 months.

The weights, especially on the 112, will be noticeably lighter when they go to production.

Hopefully that clears it up, as some people seemed very stressed about it in some other threads.
    Yup. Sorry I freaked out. Would love an update on the final weights once determined. Sounds like there is room in the PNW for both the 112 189 (touring) and the 102 184 (mountaineering).
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I'll post more over the next few days about my thoughts on the Jeffrey 114 and 122, Wren 102 and 112, Kartel 106, and Steeple 102 and 112. Just super slammed with music stuff at the moment.

I am being 100% honest when I say I am pretty stoked on everything...but yes I have my favorites that are making me drool

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I assume you are asking about the Kartel 98?
    Yep, my bad.

Curious to hear your thoughts on all that stuff, particularly the Steeple 102. Good luck with your music stuff!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

That Wren 102 is looking real tempting. Any Montana demo day's planned?

I bet you guys are going to alta demo day again this year, any dates? any other dates you guys gonna be around lcc? I missed last week... think was snowbasin

Thanks for the writeup PT. Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the Jeffrey's and Wren's.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    102 184 (mountaineering).
    I'll wait for the hard-snow reports to come in before I take it anywhere scary (and no, I don't mean the streets of Baltimore ). The amount of tip and tail rocker with the pintail might make it more of a skinny soft snow ski than a mountaineering ski. But people are skiing burly, steep lines on the W99 and Yeti, so maybe I just need to get with the times.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

One more thing...Colorado Demos are being scheduled for times in March and April and should have some concrete dates here VERY soon.

I'll wait for the hard-snow reports to come in before I take it anywhere scary (and no, I don't mean the streets of Baltimore ). The amount of tip and tail rocker with the pintail might make it more of a skinny soft snow ski than a mountaineering ski. But people are skiing burly, steep lines on the W99 and Yeti, so maybe I just need to get with the times.
    Totally agree. I don't really see the Steeple 102 as a steep firm snow ski. In my experiences, you really want something on the shorter side, which means you want to maximize effective edge. Pintail and rocker just tends to be a bad idea in those sorts of situations.

Given how easy it was to ski 2' deep heavier powder on the 88mm underfoot Bushwacker, the Steeple 102 seems to be a powder touring ski for those that emphasize lighter weight and less skin drag. I think people don't realize how skinny of a ski you can get away with, if the design is right. In another example, I had next year's DPS Wailer 105 out in 2' of fresh powder, and never really found myself wishing for more float. The biggest difference I find is when airing into powder. For long missions, where I'd use something like the Steeple 102, I just don't see it being a problem. If I skied at the resort a lot more, I'd probably prefer something around 105 on all but the very deepest of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    In another example, I had next year's DPS Wailer 105 out in 2' of fresh powder, and never really found myself wishing for more float. The biggest difference I find is when airing into powder.
    Not to hijack this thread, but sometimes a superfat can make a decent amount of snow on top of a crust feel bottomless. I've had a 117 underfoot out touring and wished I brought my L138s.

Back to the ON3P stoke!

photos

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I bet you guys are going to alta demo day again this year, any dates? any other dates you guys gonna be around lcc? I missed last week... think was snowbasin
    April 12th at Alta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Totally agree. I don't really see the Steeple 102 as a steep firm snow ski. In my experiences, you really want something on the shorter side, which means you want to maximize effective edge. Pintail and rocker just tends to be a bad idea in those sorts of situations.
    Fully agreed it is more of a soft snow ski than a mountaineering ski. We actually have a mountaineering ski on the drawing board for David Steele (who took 186cm Tychoon Tours up Denali and for whom the Steeples are named after). It will get built this spring. I don't know if it ever goes to production, as there are lots of options out there already and it really isn't 100% our thing. That said, we are building it to see how it does. Traditional sidecut on it, basically flat tail, shorter, lower tip rocker.

I think off the top of my head, David had discussed doing something 181cm long, 80mm underfoot, 15cm tip rocker, flat tail, around a 19m radius. That was at least the ballpark idea. Still need to draw it up.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Hello ON3P folks, I was just curious what the thinking was behind reducing the sidecut radius of the free ride lineup? Specifically, the new Wrens, compared to the Vicik.

Also, which would be easier to learn how to ski switch on? Jeronimo or the new Kartels? And why?

Will be feeding my veneer addiction with 181 Jeffrey 122s, they will be right at home next to my 110s.

Quote Originally Posted by pwd81 View Post
    Also, which would be easier to learn how to ski switch on? Jeronimo or the new Kartels? And why?
    depends on if you're gonna take it switch to the road or not

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    depends on if you're gonna take it switch to the road or not
    Bingo...if you are going all the way to the road, you MUST get the longest and widest ski possible.

Interested in comparisons of the Vicik to the Wren 102. I've got the first year Vicik's with extra carbon underfoot, so they're fairly stiff. Still in good shape, but will eventually need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Interested in comparisons of the Vicik to the Wren 102. I've got the first year Vicik's with extra carbon underfoot, so they're fairly stiff. Still in good shape, but will eventually need to be replaced.
    Hopefully I will get on the Wren 102 when the boys get back from industry demo tour. I have had first year Vicik's as well as a pair with extra carbon. I still regret selling the first pair I had.

I will definitely add my thoughts. When Scott revealed the 102 specs to me I salivated profusely.
    Training for Alpental

had the pleasure to truck through some pretty rad snow on the 112 steeple at the WWSRA - Mission Ridge. I skied 45+ pairs of skis over the two days, and none were quite as solid/stable or fun to skis in the soft snow than these. I didn't get a chance to ski any of the new/updated models, sadly.

Hope to get on them again soon, and have more time to ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Wren 102 is poppier, turns quicker, and has a tighter radius that makes it a lot more fun to me in short turns, tight trees, and bumps. I do like the Vicik, and would say the Vicik is a little beefier feeling in turns than the Wren 102, but the Wren 102 is a better all around ski to me. I think it is a great upgrade. I will wait patiently for PhiberAwptik to confirm my findings

Quote Originally Posted by Nic.A View Post
    had the pleasure to truck through some pretty rad snow on the 112 steeple at the WWSRA - Mission Ridge. I skied 45+ pairs of skis over the two days, and none were quite as solid/stable or fun to skis in the soft snow than these. I didn't get a chance to ski any of the new/updated models, sadly.

Hope to get on them again soon, and have more time to ski them.
    I was very impressed with the ski, as well...skied way "wider" than it really is due to the RES and rocker profile from the BG.

I just want to be part of this thread. Especially the Wren 112 in a 186. OMG, please have a Montana demo day.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Bingo...if you are going all the way to the road, you MUST get the longest and widest ski possible.
    Thanks guys. Not sure if I'll be taking it to the road or not.