Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    I've got myself a quiver now

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    I've got myself a quiver now

very nice!

Got an opportunity to take my new-to-me Jeffrey 122 out on a late April Pow day over the weekend. Another home run. Felt just like my Kartels except with more float and crud busting power which is exactly what I was looking for. They just want to go fast and jump off of things. So fun.

I've just read a few posts saying if you drive the BGs tips because of RES, it will cause them to smear. I've never heard this before and being someone who likes to ski chunder and drive my tips, I am concerned.Is this the general consensus for the BG?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianColesIsSexy View Post
    I've just read a few posts saying if you drive the BGs tips because of RES, it will cause them to smear. I've never heard this before and being someone who likes to ski chunder and drive my tips, I am concerned.Is this the general consensus for the BG?
    No. Keeping your weight centered or slightly forward and pivoting will cause them to smear.

Driving the tips and angulating will make them arc or carve.

The BG requires tip pressure on hard snow, due to RES. Not a lot, but at least a little bit. If you do not pressure the tip on hard snow, the reverse sidecut in the front half of the ski will cause the ski to attempt to turn the wrong direction. If you provide just a tiny bit of tip pressure, the edge will bite and the ski will arc into a normal turn. They can take more tip pressure if you're so inclined, of course. That said, they will never arc and carve a turn on firm snow quite like a more traditionally shaped ski - at the end of the day, they're still a ski with a short effective edge and a relatively large amount of rocker. But they won't disappoint you driving the tips hard through choppy snow.

In soft snow you can ski them from whatever stance you feel like.

Depending on what exactly you're looking for from the ski, it might be worthwhile to consider the Wrenegade 112 as well.

These ski's were designed to mow PNW chunder, your faggit Co chunder will be no match. Drive em like you stole em.
    Training for Alpental

Tip drives just fine. I wouldn't worry.

Phiber, Don't worry. I ski the real Golden... B.C. Not that we have PNW chunder, I moved away from the coast for a reason.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I am going to be stoked on them.

Any one else see the Blister Gear review of the Jeffrey 114? Thought it would've sparked some banter....

link me you lazy taint

OffendedTaint'sLinkforShroom

2015Jeffrey114Review

Hey guys,

I just want do change my DOWN CD2 to something with a bit more float and better handling in tracked snow. For my weight and riding speed the cd2 seems to be too light in tracked snow, the carbon layup also does not feel very damp. I do not need the really good groomers abilities of the cd2. I think the BG seems to be a nice ski for my purpose and I really like the build quality of on3p. Do you think the upcharge for the 2016 model is worth it or should I stick to the 2015 ( i love the graphics of this year ). I think Jeffreys do not fit so good as I am looking for a directional ride. New ( old) Moment Bibbys also might be good but they are ugly as hell

Your decision on 2015 vs 2016 BG should be based on size. All the 2016 skis are 2cm shorter (186 is now 184, etc) and there's some new sizes coming. If the 2015 is offered in a size you like, just go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Your decision on 2015 vs 2016 BG should be based on size. All the 2016 skis are 2cm shorter (186 is now 184, etc) and there's some new sizes coming. If the 2015 is offered in a size you like, just go with that.
    I wouldn't, unless it's the new 179 (would have been an old 181). I say that because a 184 Billy Goat will ski literally exactly the same as a 186 Billy Goat, they are the same ski, exactly the same, but with out the complete twin tip. There will be negligible difference in how they ski.

The 189 will be a bit different than the 191, due to being 2mm narrower (116mm instead of 118mm), but will still ski very similar with regards to length.

I think 189 or 191 would be fine both. just think of How the little narrower Version will ski. what About res in tracked snow? does it still work good?

Tracked snow is where RES makes it's money. It is what makes the Billy Goat the best tracked soft snow charger out there. Traditional side cut, even with taper, has to balance float (tip width) with 'catchyness' (side cut). The RES allows a wider tip that does not have an 'exposed' side cut that can catch on the variations in cut up snow. Since the snow still has some depth to it, there is no issue with the RES sidecut edging in as any other ski would. The only place RES really compromises the ski's ability is on firm hard pack.

Hope that helps.

That Sounds great. but you still are able to get back to the Lift alive on hardpack?

^^ Man, I love Snowbird / Alta. Need to make it back out there this winter. Such fun terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Chips = Line of the Winter! But yes, BGs do well on hardpack, which now that I think about it is what I actually skied at Snowbird this year with my 191s.

Quote Originally Posted by exxun View Post
    Hey guys,

I just want do change my DOWN CD2 to something with a bit more float and better handling in tracked snow. For my weight and riding speed the cd2 seems to be too light in tracked snow, the carbon layup also does not feel very damp. I do not need the really good groomers abilities of the cd2. I think the BG seems to be a nice ski for my purpose and I really like the build quality of on3p. Do you think the upcharge for the 2016 model is worth it or should I stick to the 2015 ( i love the graphics of this year ). I think Jeffreys do not fit so good as I am looking for a directional ride. New ( old) Moment Bibbys also might be good but they are ugly as hell
    Be aware that the Bibby's (I skied the '16 Bibbys 1/2 of the season) are fairly center mounted compared to the BG. I really liked the Bibbys, but I sold them when I thought I was going to have to move away from CO. I would go with the BG if you are a directional skier and aren't throwing any spins or skiing backwards.
    So, I just threw down on a pair of 14/15 191 BG that I'm gonna mount up with some FKSs. I'm also going to get a pair of Wren 112's for hard snow days. I demo'd that ski end of last season and that thing will flat out fucking rip old school GS style on hard snow. I don't really feel the need for a skinny ski anymore. I think those two skis do about everything that I need out of a ski.
    Rock on ON3P!

2014/2015 ON3P Skis (Official Thread) - Discussion and Lust

New member, however long time lurker. Just got my first new pair of On3ps and all I can say is wow. The construction is on a whole new level, one I haven't previously experienced. And the flex is what ive been searching for.

I just purchased the 186 jeffrey 114s, as a stiffer alternative to the industry jib skis. Can anyone tell me how they compare to the 186 blizzard gunsmokes? Im 6'3" 210, i like my skis like my women, short and fat, double rocker, extra mustard. 186 Jeffrey 114 seemed like it fits the bill perfectly.

Also are there any changes from the 2015 jeffrey 114 to the 2016? Besides 10% lighter bamboo?
    Last edited by aevergreene; 09-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.

So...thinking about picking up a 186 kartel 98 for low-tide play around days and days dragging the kids around our little icy local hills. Been keeping up on this thread but haven't heard much about this other than the guy from texas and his dramatic response to it, and a couple of "had one great run on it" reviews.

I have a 186 Jeff 114 for when there's snow and a 186 tycoon for bombing around when there's not. Had a 181 J-mo that I bought on a whim knowing it was going to ski too short but thinking it might be OK for that use, but it wasn't - but felt like the 186 of that would have been. /blog

Looking for something a little turnier and more playful than the tycoon for slow days with the family including a fair bit of time skiing switch/teaching with the (little) kids, but needs to still be able to hold an edge on frozen scraped-off manmade without washing out.

I'm 200-ish, pretty centered stance anyway so not too worried about over-driving the tips etc.

Anyone want to convince me to spend money I don't need to spend on these? It's been a long summer and I'm itching for something new. Extra points if you'll end up buying them from me next summer in gear swap because I'm whore-ish like that.

For what it's worth, I did end up buying a pair of 171cm Kartel 98s for my wife. She really liked them at the demo day. She wasn't even looking to buy, but was that impressed.

I grew up racing and learned to ski on straight skis. My wife is self taught and learned on sidecut. That alone could explain our different opinions. I tend to fall back on slamming my shins into my boots, getting my weight forward and driving the tips. They didn't much like that. No issues as long as I relaxed a bit.

The skis will work great for your intended purpose. They were loads of fun for dicking around on the hill. The J-Mo has the same sidecut style (elliptical), so if it worked for you on those it should also work on the Kartel. Someone suggested that was my issue with the skis; I think they may be right. Who knows.

The Texas thing is just a joke; my friends and I used to call jeans Texas Goretex. I'm also not a licensed dentist.

Thanks.

How's the bullfighting scene in Texas?