Thread: Thailand info?

Thailand info?

Mrs. Beaver & I are going to Thailand next month to visit our 16yo daughter who is on an exchange for a year. Other than visiting her in the north we're going to do some other shit, we just don't know exactly what yet.

Any suggestions of what to see/do, where to go?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Pingpong show in BKK. What do you want to do? Lie on a beach? Go scuba diving? Wander through cultural sites? Eat fantastic food? Wander through mountains? There's a lifetime of shit to do in Thailand or the countries a very short flight away, way too much to list without a direction and a rough estimate of time a week, two, a month?

The phrase "bringing a sandwich to a buffet" jumps to mind.

Sand to the sandbox.

Good luck.

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Is that a dude? ^^^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Is that a dude? ^^^^
    exactly.

google ladyboy. I dare you
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    exactly.

The scary thing is that "she" actually looks more masculine than most... Beware broad shoulders and adam's apples...

How much time do you have and what do you like to do, beav? Climb? Scuba? Beach? Culture? One piece of advice: you can fly just about anywhere on the cheap on regional carriers, e.g., Air Asia. Don't waste time on a bus. If I could go anywhere in SE Asia, it would be Angkor Wat--like an hour from BKK for like >$200 R/T. I think they also fly there via Chang Mai.

Mother fucker, I know better.

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

damn, bring me mack some food, amazing stuff i heard.

I'm going there in May. Going to do a 5 day, self-guided bike tour around Chaing Mai, then going to hang out there for a few more days, then do a tour from BKK to Ankgor Wat on a bike. I might take a cooking class as well. I might also hike the highest point in Thailand! Then to visit a friend of Koh Samui, then meeting my cousin and I'm going to learn to scuba dive on Koh Pao.

Any other suggestions? I pretty much plan on spending as little time in BKK as possible.

BKK's worth a couple of days+--shit to see, nightlife to be had--irrespective of your feelings about Patpongesque entertainment... Plenty to do/see. Samui's way over (and somewhat badly) developed--not saying you won't have a good time, but there are much better places to spend your time (not withstanding the fact that you have a friend there).

other than massive riots, full military in the streets and deaths , should be a good time.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Hugh Conway Guest
    i was fine with just passing through BKK and seeing something here or there; based on your itinerary you'll likely pass through more than once. if your tastes are more glam/expensive you might like it more. the other cities in the region were a more interesting mix of old colonial/oldwhatever/new than sprawling BKK. Great streetfood there though. don't get the hardon for riding a bicycle but whatever. Koh Tao was nice enough. there's a bunch of other thai threads here, or were. Dunno, couldn't get a visa when I was over there, but now I'd rather go to Myanmar, changing much quicker and far fewer tourists.

There is a lot of flexibility built into my trip!

Maybe after a few rustic bike trips, some hot and cold running water and on-demand bevvies are just the ticket.

I enjoy slow, aimless riding as a way to visit people and initiate interesting encounters. Much more than a car. I recently learned that I share this trait with David Byrne. Yay. I solely used a bike for 8 years in DC, and it is the best way, hands down, to see the world.

http://davidbyrne.com/archive/art/bo...cycle_diaries/

I'm not looking for some sort of "authenticity." When I was in my young 20s I spent two years in the bush of Africa teaching English and drinking beer courtesy of the Peace Corps. It was one of the hardest jobs I ever loved. But seeing quaint village folk in their colorful traditional garb ... I dunno, subsistence village based agriculture has a pretty broad common denominator that I don't find very interesting anymore.

Today most people live in cities. Take a slow local bus through the outskirts of Kinshasa if you want to see how most of the world lives. That's authentic, well at least what's happening now.

Yes. Indeed.

I look forward to your trip report.

Maybe I should arrange a 2 year home-stay with a Burmese (?) (Myanamarian?) family?

But really, I fully embrace the galloping global, capitalist, market mono-culture the world is becoming. The working title for my book is 50 World Capitals, 50 Unique McDonalds.

Hugh Conway Guest
    i wasn't going for dickswinging over "authentic" (whatever that is) at all - more, at a slightly lower rung on the tourist development scale, there's ime more potential for interesting encounters and interesting people. And they don't turn the food into bland pablum to feed pasty northern eurotrash. and that drivers in Thailand are fucking nuts and the roads are small and narrow.

Well, you may be the first North American to go to Thailand with the goal of seeing a 16 yr old girl and NOT sleeping with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Ya I know I'm bringing a sandwich but my parents bought "us" tickets so .... I'm only there for 3 weeks, far too short I know but my wife has a job and needs to come back to make me money. I suppose I could just miss my plane and stay longer.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Dear Beaver,
    Sounds like you like many husbands in the year 2014 has a wife who might wear the pants in the Beaver lodge. As luck would have it Thailand is the leader in ALL areas(price, quality, quantity , variety) of gender reassignment surgery. Just think in a 48 hour hospital stay and the price of one semester at a state college your wife could get herself a MANDINGO SCHLONG to really whip your ass into shape. What do you think ? A true adventure of a life time awaits you---one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble--

Good luck.

I bet she PMd Rontele

Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    There is a lot of flexibility built into my trip!

Maybe after a few rustic bike trips, some hot and cold running water and on-demand bevvies are just the ticket.

I enjoy slow, aimless riding as a way to visit people and initiate interesting encounters. Much more than a car. I recently learned that I share this trait with David Byrne. Yay. I solely used a bike for 8 years in DC, and it is the best way, hands down, to see the world.

http://davidbyrne.com/archive/art/bo...cycle_diaries/

I'm not looking for some sort of "authenticity." When I was in my young 20s I spent two years in the bush of Africa teaching English and drinking beer courtesy of the Peace Corps. It was one of the hardest jobs I ever loved. But seeing quaint village folk in their colorful traditional garb ... I dunno, subsistence village based agriculture has a pretty broad common denominator that I don't find very interesting anymore.

Today most people live in cities. Take a slow local bus through the outskirts of Kinshasa if you want to see how most of the world lives. That's authentic, well at least what's happening now.
    What brand of beer?

Mixed message

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    What brand of beer?
    REGAB! Regarde, Les Gabonais aiment a boire.

fucj hookers and drink tea?