Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late April - where to go?

Not ideal timing, but our kids' school has spring break very late this year (Easter Week: April 21-25). Seeing as I finally got all 3 on the slopes I want to keep the momentum going with a week long trip that week.

I've done spring trips in late March to CO, UT. I've hit Banff in late Fall, even Mt. Hood in the summer - but never tried 4th week of April. The "wait and see" method is less than ideal as we're talking airfare, travel and accommodations for 5, so I'd like to get it narrowed down to a few on a shortlist.

Q: where do you usually find snow (including some greens for our 4yr old) in late April? Anywhere in North America is on the table.

I found a NYT article on this topic from 4 yrs ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/tr...ski.html?_r=1& that states:

1) Banff (beautiful, long drive from Calgary last time I went)
    2) Mammoth
    3) Snowbird (been there, lots of fun, easier drive than Banff)
    4) Squaw (been there lots of fun, upside: if it's crazy warm, Lake Tahoe)
    5) Whistler/Blackcomb

again, the catch is minimizing the chance of rain down at the base where ski school could be going on for the littlest one. A bonus would be a proper ski town as this would be their first ski trip away from the mid atlantic and the lack of charm and sucky base areas around here.

Thanks for your input.

Whistler Blackcomb full stop.
    April is sunny and warm between snow cycles.
    Ski school learning centre is mid mountain above rain line.
    Village is very family friendly with restaurants, hotel pools, and walking to lifts with little ones.
    World Ski and Snowboard Festival is a big party week and its April 10-20 this year. so you will miss that.
    Rates drop after this week.
    NEVERMIND:
    Whistler Mountain closes April 21, and the Peak 2 Peak closes that day, Tube park closes, only Blackcomb Mountain is open from April 22 to May 21, 10am-4:00pm.

Colorado - hate to say it, but you could stay in Summit County and ski Loveland/Abasin.

Otherwise, you're talking Snowbird, but there is no ski town there.

Mammoth sounds sweet if they are open.

Second Loveland & A-Basin, but I've never been to any of the others. Loveland generally closes around the first weekend in May, and it's often the best snow of the year (plus the days are longer and warmer that mid-winter). A-Basin is often at its best about then also. If you get lucky, it'll be like 2011 again with tons of snow, but even average is pretty good, and this year has been a bit above average so far.

Also, you can get easily get leftover 4-pack lift tickets in the Loveland parking lot for $25 or so that time of year. A-Basin has a $139 3-pack and last year had a spring pass for about (?) $179 that's unlimited starting in April sometime.
    Change is good. You go first.

Most typical years, Mammoth is great, but CA is lean this year, and April could be either full on winter dumping, or closed with this snowpack. We have plenty of snowpack out here in CO. Summit County should have at LEAST Loveland and A-Basin, and might have Breck and Copper too depending on the amount of snow still left. This year is acting like 2010-11, when I had 6 powder days in April, 4 more in May, and skied June 1st at A-Basin which was open top to bottom, wall to wall that day, just for historical reference. Anywhere you go out here you should be able to score pretty good airfare and lodging for that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Banff is only a little over an hour drive from Calgary.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

All, thanks for the tips.

I love Breck, been there many times, and I've mountain biked A-basin, but not skied there. I stayed at some condos by a man-made pond type place, with wooden walkways around it- for a conference and stayed over for a few days to bike. It's been 14 years, but I don't recall a town like Breck or Park City.

The ski-town factor is also for my wife who doesn't ski (I tried, we cried, it's over) so keeping her involved by being able to walk/shuttle to ski area to eat lunch with us, or stay back in town and window shop and stroll and such is all she needs to keep her engaged and give me and the kids some freedom.

I've never been to Loveland, but think I've driven past it a few times - that one? (not bashing, just saying it's the one by the highway)

Conditions: CO does seem to be having a good year, thanks for the local intel.

Banff: twice it took 1.5hrs after we got the rental car or got in the van-share, maybe bad luck both times. Sunshine village looks to have decent green coverage and newer lodge not to far from the ski school area for the wife-to-4yo-combo and she can take the gondola up, that wouldn't suck.

So current candidates:

1) staying in Breck and driving to A-basin if needed (20 miles)
    2) staying in Banff and driving/shuttling to Sunshine Village (10 miles)

Thanks again for the tips.

Yeah man no problem. Come to CO, I'll be sure to keep your wife busy. Post some pics of her if you want some more advice.

The interstate goes right under Loveland, which is weird but it's a great place late April, as is A basin.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't like suggesting Colorado, because there are many better places to ski.. but I think Colorado might actually be what you are looking for at that time of year.

I would suggest staying in Breck somewhere near main street so the wife has a town to stroll/shop. If there is alot of snow left at that time of year Breck could still be open, but it is unlikely. Take swan mountain road for faster access from Breck to A-basin or Loveland.

It is about a 20 -25 minute ride. Both mountains will be open, and are at high elevation. Rain is almost never an issue, and the spring snow at these mountains is great. Spring snowstorms in Colorado can be DEEP, and the slopes are very uncrowded at that time of year. If it isn't snowing, the corn skiing will be great once the sun warms things up a little.

I prefer A-Basin, but loveland can also be fun. It is much more than you see from the highway.

A-Basin has great steeps and almost everything should be open at that time of year. The East Wall has some of the steepest, and most challenging lines in Colorado. A-Basin only opens the wall if there is a TON of snow, but it should be good to go in April. Shit For Brains (a line on the East Wall) is by far the most gnarly thing I have skied in Summit County.

Only problem with A-Basin is that the beginner terrain is somewhat limited. There is a beginners lift that is pretty lame, and 2 longer / more challenging green runs off of the Black Mountain Express Lift. Besides that, there isn't really any other beginner terrain, but there are a couple of pretty mellow blues from the top of the Lenawee lift.

I never ski loveland so I can not give advice but I do know that there are a couple more greens at loveland than A-Basin probably has. Both mountains are not perfect for beginners to be totally honest.

Thanks WTF.

What about Aspen Highlands? Most years they reopen for weekends in late April. I love going at that time especially in a good snow year bc hiking and skiing the Bowl is amazing, the tix are like $40, and the vibe on the mtn is great.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What about Aspen Highlands? Most years they reopen for weekends in late April. I love going at that time especially in a good snow year bc hiking and skiing the Bowl is amazing, the tix are like $40, and the vibe on the mtn is great.
    Alone? Sounds amazing. With 4/7/9 yr old, not so much

Bend and Bachelor. No contest. Great mountain for the kids, fun enough for you, town has shopping and restaurants, sunny corn and some possible pow days to boot. Check out visitbend.com
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Snowbird will suck for your 4yr. old. After chickadee, it's a big jump to gadzoom and a flat cat track to get there from the tram.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I don't like suggesting Colorado, because there are many better places to ski.. but I think Colorado might actually be what you are looking for at that time of year.

I would suggest staying in Breck somewhere near main street so the wife has a town to stroll/shop. If there is alot of snow left at that time of year Breck could still be open, but it is unlikely. Take swan mountain road for faster access from Breck to A-basin or Loveland.

It is about a 20 -25 minute ride. Both mountains will be open, and are at high elevation. Rain is almost never an issue, and the spring snow at these mountains is great. Spring snowstorms in Colorado can be DEEP, and the slopes are very uncrowded at that time of year. If it isn't snowing, the corn skiing will be great once the sun warms things up a little.

I prefer A-Basin, but loveland can also be fun. It is much more than you see from the highway.

A-Basin has great steeps and almost everything should be open at that time of year. The East Wall has some of the steepest, and most challenging lines in Colorado. A-Basin only opens the wall if there is a TON of snow, but it should be good to go in April. Shit For Brains (a line on the East Wall) is by far the most gnarly thing I have skied in Summit County.

Only problem with A-Basin is that the beginner terrain is somewhat limited. There is a beginners lift that is pretty lame, and 2 longer / more challenging green runs off of the Black Mountain Express Lift. Besides that, there isn't really any other beginner terrain, but there are a couple of pretty mellow blues from the top of the Lenawee lift.

I never ski loveland so I can not give advice but I do know that there are a couple more greens at loveland than A-Basin probably has. Both mountains are not perfect for beginners to be totally honest.

Hey shit for brains. The couloir known as "shit for brains" is not inside the ski area and requires a significant hike to access.

For the most part everything else I agree with. Though I'd be surprised if the upper east wall is still open and even more surprised if Breck has lifts running in late April. It has been an incredible year though so who knows.

normally i'd say squaw is perfect that time of year...

this year we have zero snow.

i'd vote for whistler: awesome in the spring, sick terrain for all levels, huge ski town (your wife should love the village), good for kids and adults alike, and no chance of being closed.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Mammoth sounds sweet if they are open.
    california is having a tough year, but it can't be bad enough for mammoth to close in april... could it? that would be horrific.
    Still waiting...

A week earlier I'd say Breck for sure. The town might be dead that week, so why not just stay in Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne and shorten the drive up to A-Basin. Plus if Breck stays open you can hit it from there easy. I went to Whistler the week after most of CO closed one year and it was amazing. But they are having a kind of meh year this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Hey shit for brains. The couloir known as "shit for brains" is not inside the ski area and requires a significant hike to access.
    I'd watch your language sir. From what I understand, anything on the East Wall is part of the ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'd watch your language sir. From what I understand, anything on the East Wall is part of the ski area.
    The SFB couloir is not on the East Wall, however.

Well, awfully close.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Not reopening this year.... Ajax will probably reopen though, for the weekend only.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, awfully close.
    SFB couloir is part of the Marjorie bowl, which is not part of the east wall. Geographically, the two are close but I don't know of anyone who accesses SFB from the east wall. People usually boot right up the middle or hike up the ridge lookers left and drop in from above.

Quote Originally Posted by PowHound84 View Post
    SFB couloir is part of the Marjorie bowl, which is not part of the east wall. Geographically, the two are close but I don't know of anyone who accesses SFB from the east wall. People usually boot right up the middle or hike up the ridge lookers left and drop in from above.
    And no, it's not part of A Basin.