Road trip slc to jackson

Slc and Jackson mags, need some beta. Flying into slc today with the boys... Planned to ski basin and lcc, but considering heading up to Jackson. Any thoughts from local mags? Md9 says it not completely asinine idea.

Have room for one more in the car.

Any recommendations on last minute lodging in Jackson?

The drive is four and a half hours in the summer if I recall. it is doable, but parts get to be white knuckle (snake river canyon) depending in the route you pick. Suv + snow tires a big bonus. I may be able to help with lodging, let me look into a couple things. I know the skiing is real good there now
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Lodging in Jackson is great but I'd just bypass JH and head right to Targhee. I have found good deals at The JH Lodge and The Lexington.

Doing this next weekend, would be interested in driving conditions and time taken please if you go.

Drove it a couple of years ago in Spring and took around 4.5 hours
    Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow it to its End !!

2 more east coast mags currently in SLC and leaving for Jackson tomorrow after The Bird today 2/20/14 in need of lodging or a place to crash. Storm was a under producer here in SLC so heading North. Looking for something reasonable and we have very low standards..

Motel 6 sounds perfect. Or the Virginian.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I just made the drive from SLC to Jackson on Friday Feb 14 in the evening. There was a storm once I got north of Evanston. I took 89 North, and it was slow going for me through the mountain pass just south of Smoot, WY. The road was covered with snow. Every truck passed me. I drive a 2010 Subaru legacy. WY treats their roads with some sort of sand mix which helps a ton with grip on snow covered roads. UT does not use this, so the UT roads are slicker. This is why I was driving 30mph through that area, because I'm used to slicker roads. My drive took 6 hrs instead of the 4hrs 47min that google predicted. The road from Smoot all the way to Alpine, WY has puddling in the rutting road, so you're hydroplaning the whole way and the glare was bad at night if it's raining like it was for me.

When rolling to Jackson, We usually stay at driggs (cheaper and higher availability) and drive over the pass to the village. The Teton teepee is a unique place which always has room available. We sometimes stay at Teton valley cabins for pretty cheap. The drive to village from driggs is approx 1h. Riding at targhee is pretty good as well and we usually do a day at Jackson, a day at targhee and perhaps a BC day off the pass.

That said, i have found that i15 to rexburg to 33 is the quickest route to driggs in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    When rolling to Jackson, We usually stay at driggs (cheaper and higher availability) and drive over the pass to the village. The Teton teepee is a unique place which always has room available. We sometimes stay at Teton valley cabins for pretty cheap. The drive to village from driggs is approx 1h. Riding at targhee is pretty good as well and we usually do a day at Jackson, a day at targhee and perhaps a BC day off the pass.

That said, i have found that i15 to rexburg to 33 is the quickest route to driggs in the winter.
    Teepee is only doing group bookings now, 9 or more rooms at $90/ea iirc.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

We followed option 1 from this thread... Since we were already in Ogden we took i15 north and eventually went over teton pass. It was clear day on Monday so no worries anywhere. 6 hours flat from alarm in Ogden to first gondola ride.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-Route-Advice

JH got a few inches just about every day but you can still feel hard bottom lower down. Weird day yesterday, snow in the morning, mountain closed for full control procedure, sunny at 1PM and then snow again at 3:30.

Clear now but more snow expected this afternoon and tonight.

Thanks everyone.. The bird was really good today. A few inches tonight and some wind might keep us here 1 more day. Keeping a close eye on The Gee.. Again, thanks Slaggmaster for all the hook ups..

Planning our Mountain Collective road trip to Jackson & SLC now --

For Jackson, recommendations for staying at the Lexington vs. Snow King Resort Hotel? Both are about the same price on Expedia ($110-115), both look a lot nicer than the not-much-cheaper options ($80-90ish).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Planning our Mountain Collective road trip to Jackson & SLC now --

For Jackson, recommendations for staying at the Lexington vs. Snow King Resort Hotel? Both are about the same price on Expedia ($110-115), both look a lot nicer than the not-much-cheaper options ($80-90ish).
    Chup - try priceline name your price. I got a room last second at snowking for like $60/night. It was clean, but maybe needed some updating. On the lower end of 3 or 3.5 stars like they rated it.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    Chup - try priceline name your price. I got a room last second at snowking for like $60/night. It was fine, but maybe a little run down...definitely not the 3.5 or 4 star place they rated it as.
    Thanks - I've used Priceline before for hotels, but the one thing I don't like about it is if there's parking fees -- Priceline doesn't disclose that in advance, so for places like San Francisco, a mandatory $20-30 per night for parking adds up. Any idea if Jackson hotels typically don't charge for parking, so I don't have to worry about it?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Lexington hands down over the newly corporatized snow king. GM there is a rock star, took the Wyoming Inn up to #1 on TripAdvisor before getting let go by new owners. Great location, easy walk to square, next to the best sushi place, across the street from a shuttle bus stop.
    Nope, nobody charges for parking in Jackson, unless you leave it on a city street after 3am and get it towed...

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Lexington hands down over the newly corporatized snow king. GM there is a rock star, took the Wyoming Inn up to #1 on TripAdvisor before getting let go by new owners. Great location, easy walk to square, next to the best sushi place, across the street from a shuttle bus stop.
    Nope, nobody charges for parking in Jackson, unless you leave it on a city street after 3am and get it towed...
    Thanks - went ahead and booked the Lexington. Expedia had a decent price, plus there's a $25 coupon ("MOBILE25") for booking it through Expedia's phone app. Total $222 for 2 nights, all taxes etc.

well played. That room is $280 a night in the summer, minimum.

I don't think you will find anywhere in Jackson charging for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Teepee is only doing group bookings now, 9 or more rooms at $90/ea iirc.
    no kidding. silly....we used to stay in the bunk room downstairs for like 35bucks.

tried staying there w the wife once on JAN 1 after a new year's rager at the teepee and the freshly stained cumforter turned her off the place forever. doh!!

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimberx15 View Post
    Thanks everyone.. The bird was really good today. A few inches tonight and some wind might keep us here 1 more day. Keeping a close eye on The Gee.. Again, thanks Slaggmaster for all the hook ups..
    looking at the forecast, i think SAT and beyond would best be spent in the Tetons, versus the Wasatch. storm goes north and they're gonna get more snow than we will...

hell, i'm gonna see if wife wants to roll north!

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    no kidding. silly....we used to stay in the bunk room downstairs for like 35bucks.
    yeah, they've been trying to sell for a few years now, trying to keep the costs minimal til the sale. Would be a great maggot buy, even comes with a WY liquor license!

Last I saw it was like 2million. Any idea what the updated price is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I don't think you will find anywhere in Jackson charging for parking.
    Except the damn ski hill!

Leave a paid for condo in SLC to chase in Jackson and stay at Motel 6 pays off. Thanks Mags.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	151356

One more..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	151358