Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Spur

skied them today at lake louise. 5-10 fresh over wind pressed (VERY typical conditions)

the tune was great, holds a great egde (for a ski that fat)
    not realy enough snow for what it was made for, but was better to test it in non-prefect condidtions . Because EVERYTHING is fun in 30cm, but not everything 125mm is fun in 5=10 wind blown at LL

not a daily driver, but overall useful as part of a quiver, and by FAR the funest ski in the Blizzard line up and love the turn shape and how you can release it out of a turn at any point

Other skis I like/own (usually med to soft flex, and 30m turn shape, and long)

older elan boomerang (140/120/130) in 180 touring
    Volkl Sanouk (130/110/120) in 193 for rock skis
    4frtn Hoji, 195, for pow ski
    nordica Vagabond, 185 for daily driver (softer El Cap)

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I just heard a rumor that the limited release is going to be REALLY limited. Only 70 pair in the US??

So this thing is essentially the perfect quiver addition to a 185 Cochise as a daily driver?

Shit, Im already starting to lust for this ski.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    So this thing is essentially the perfect quiver addition to a 185 Cochise as a daily driver?

Shit, Im already starting to lust for this ski.
    Yep, I'll probably dump my 96 Bodacious' for a pair. If you're in SF, Ben at the Village Ski Loft in Incline usually has his pair laying around the shop. They actually do a demo day on St. Patty's day and you can pre-order '14/15 skis at a discount.

Hmm I heard these won't even be an option for shops west of the Mississippi. Can anyone confirm this?

Do like the look of this ski. Any word on the price?

apparently 250 total for the first run, I assume many of those will stay in yurp

Rumors are correct. Most will not make it to the US.

CA: you want to order a pair? will need 30% deposit, and we can add to our booking.

Euro pow skiing on the Spur

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/...ep-ep-1/273261

Although just about anything would be fun in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    CA: you want to order a pair? will need 30% deposit, and we can add to our booking.
    Yes. Yes I do.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I might be on board too. What's the price look like?

OK, some some people have PM'ed me about pre-order:

I'm not incharge of pre-orderes and am just a part time boot fitter at the store, BUT best to call Soul Phone: 403-760-1650, and talk to Jason.
    LOOKS like the details are $900 MSRP, (plus 5% alberta taxes) and will need a 30% deposit down for this.
    Skis will/should arrive around November for you

Again, this is all WELL above my pay scale, so dealing with Jason, by phone, is your best bet to start to make this happen.

I can probably get a few pair this Fall, I'll check into it.
    Last edited by Brianskis; 02-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.

I have received an unusual amount of private msg's regarding this thread. I will post a more in depth review soon as I now have had a chance to ski this in deep powder and it was unbelievable. As for availability, as discussed, this ski will be quite limited in terms of numbers available. If you live in the US or can accept US delivery and are interested in pre-ordering a pair for guaranteed Fall delivery feel free to PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393372836.473462.jpg 
Views:	1370 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	151421

Wow! That is all.

Your killing me here! Ready for that review from your day in the soft stuff!

Brian,
    do you make it out to stevens often?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Brian,
    do you make it out to stevens often?
    As much as I can!

Skied 4 days on these now, all with some variation of new snow ranging from wind affected chop to un molested by man or wind pow.

In each of the days I have spent the versatility of this ski has really stuck out. Something you rarely get with a ski of this size. By no means is it a "fun" groomer ski, however it handles hard pack much better than many other skis of this width I have spent time on.

Another thing that really sticks out is the weight to charging capability ratio. Mounted with a Pivot 14 this a relatively lightweight setup considering the lack of a speed limit for a 190lb skier.

As for pow, everything skis good, but some do it that much better. The Spur is definitely one of the latter. In my experience it was kind of tricky to find the sweet spot right away. I feel it is smaller on this ski than quite a few others, plus I think I've spent so much time on completely different skis lately that dialing in one took a little longer. I spent a fair a mount of time the first day on the tails, which can really load up a lot of energy and shoot you in a less than desirable direction if your not on it. I must say I wondered if I should have mounted them a little bit forward. That being said once I found the sweet spot I have been increasingly impressed by what this ski can do. The different turn shapes this ski can produce, along with the easy ability to change a turn shape quickly is unbelievable!

It also has great energy. I really feel like metal is overrated in skis over 110, aside from certain applications, and the feeling of this wood/carbon layup only validates my feelings further. For all but the heaviest guys out there this ski will charge plenty hard and be very stable in the air while also rewarding the energy a skier puts into a turn.

After skiing all morning on the Spur a buddy borrowed them for a couple runs while I threw my Renegades on. Skiing them back to back was interesting. Definitely in the same category however I have to say after three runs on the Renegades (what has always been my favorite pow ski) I was really itching to get back on the Spurs. A couple runs back on the Spurs and my mind is made up. The Spur is the best resort powder ski I have skied. Game Changer. Sadly the Renegade has lost its top status in my mind...

Lighter weight skiers or those who tend to ski more on the tails of their skis may want to consider mounting them forward from recommended.

I know this review is all over the place but I have to get to work! I'll comeback and clean it up later... In short, I love this ski!

Blizzard Spur

I'm glad you like the skis, but...

About the Renegades vs Spurs... You really should talk more about the differences between two skis. Saying you like one ski more than the other tells us absolutely nothing. WHY do you like it better? WHAT does it do better, WHAT does it not do better?

Also, what skis does it have a smaller sweet spot versus?

Skis are not living in a world of absolutes, where only one ski is top dog. Every ski has its pros and cons. Matching your preferences to a ski that has similar pros, is what makes a ski 'the best'. Being vague does no one any favors, especially future buyers and the company (if you get a bad match, you'll get a pretty bad review).

This goes for everyone out there that writes reviews. Comparisons to other skis with details about pros and cons are what makes a review useful. Without either, it just sounds like spam to my ears.

Blister Gear Review does a great job of this (usually), which is what makes their reviews so helpful. The more skis you can directly compare against, the better the review.

For example, if all I've ever skied was my Head m103s, all my reviews would say 'this ski has great energy!'. Which would be categorically false for many skis.

Hopefully that did not come off as harsh...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I'm glad you like the skis, but...

About the Renegades vs Spurs... You really should talk more about the differences between two skis. Saying you like one ski more than the other tells us absolutely nothing. WHY do you like it better? WHAT does it do better, WHAT does it not do better?

Also, what skis does it have a smaller sweet spot versus?

Skis are not living in a world of absolutes, where only one ski is top dog. Every ski has its pros and cons. Matching your preferences to a ski that has similar pros, is what makes a ski 'the best'. Being vague does no one any favors, especially future buyers and the company (if you get a bad match, you'll get a pretty bad review).

This goes for everyone out there that writes reviews. Comparisons to other skis with details about pros and cons are what makes a review useful. Without either, it just sounds like spam to my ears.

Blister Gear Review does a great job of this (usually), which is what makes their reviews so helpful. The more skis you can directly compare against, the better the review.

For example, if all I've ever skied was my Head m103s, all my reviews would say 'this ski has great energy!'. Which would be categorically false for many skis.

Hopefully that did not come off as harsh...
    I think you need to read the last sentence of what I said about it being all over the place and not complete. But sorry for being vague on limited time. I obviously offended the review, reviewer. I was just excited to get something up as many people have been asking. As said will edit later.

Ahh, I did miss that part, thanks.

Curious to hear more about the Spur vs. Renegade. My two ski quiver is 186cm OG Renegades and 185cm Cochise, love both skis for their applications and the Spur is very interesting as my Renegades are on season 4 now and I've been really impressed with the build quality on the Blizzards.

*post was not made by me* unless I gained magic powers that I am not aware of. I apologize for any misunderstanding that created. Pm for details.
    Last edited by smallfry506; 02-27-2014 at 10:50 PM.