Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    jigs. they work. vibes.

rog
    Word. Stop by the shop before they close in the afternoon with a 6 pack.
    Mount skis that evening.
    Drop off jig in the morning.
    Been doing paper templates for years, and while it works, the first time I used a shop jig I kinda laughed at myself for not borrowing one earlier from the techs I know in town. The ease of use is ridiculous, but I guess you gotta have access to the jigs...
    BTW: Current ski tech currency in VT is Heady Topper and Rumpleminze, fyi

IMO, the best thing about a jig is not having to spend time finding the center line down the ski while you work your way to inebriation -- those two don't mix well.

The JigaRex does look awesome, but it competes with skis & boots for my wallet's attention. Some day . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    I don't think we ever drilled through the top sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Yeah, I defintely had to drill through the topsheet a bit. Punching these didn't have nearly as much impact as I would've liked. Really it volcanoed the topsheet more than it punched through it.
    I'm not 100% sure what deephelmet is saying there, because you always drill through the topsheet - how else are you going to get holes? - but what I think he's saying is that you don't want to go through the topsheet with the step/shoulder of the bit. And in that picture, it looks you did just that on the two holes on the left.

Just FYI: If you take a plunge caliper and measure the total depth of the hole, it shouldn't exceed 1 cm. The shoulder of the stepped bit acts as a stop, and knocks down some of the topsheet, but if you need to remove volcanoes, a chamfer/countersink bit will do the trick without running the risk of a drill-through.

to the original question: i wouldn't hesitate to drill the original hole and plug the old. It's a good thing you were that far off I've mounted closer with re-mounts close to old holes.

Fuck all that, just fill the oopsie hole with epoxy and drill your marked hole. Those drill guides are just going to fuck you up, can't see where your bit is going, other than for inserts you don't need to be perfectly straight up and down if you've drilled other holes you should be fine.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Fuck all that, just fill the oopsie hole with epoxy and drill your marked hole. Those drill guides are just going to fuck you up, can't see where your bit is going, other than for inserts you don't need to be perfectly straight up and down if you've drilled other holes you should be fine.
    This.

I mount my own skis with a bit and collar and countersink I picked up at the local hardware store. Seems to work fine.

I also don't use a posidrive. CRAZY.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    This.

I mount my own skis with a bit and collar and countersink I picked up at the local hardware store. Seems to work fine.

I also don't use a posidrive. CRAZY.
    No posidrive? That is crazy, how did you not blow up?