Thompson Pass Alaska - Tailgate Festival 2014

I booked flights to Anchorage this morning. My 3rd trip to Alaska, heading to Thompson Pass for the first time.
    Basically, the idea was to rent the cheapest car, head to Thompson Pass, camp at car park for 2 weeks, hook up with someone for touring, wait out the weather, spent on cat and/or heli on blue bird days.
    Right after my flight conformation I realised - all 10 days of Tailgate Festival AK 2014 are in the middle of my stay. TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS A GOOD NEWS, or if I should rebook my tickets.
    Any comments? Anyone heading up the last week in March, the first week of April?

That depends?

Do you like to party with people who spend $350 for a ticket to park for a week and drink $50 worth of beer? Definitely a good time to find people to ski with... Also a great time to watch rich assholes hang out in a parking lot.

Apparently it sucks to not have a sled at it because everything close gets skied to shit.

Also, we have no snow
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

OK, I get that.
    Do any Heli or Cat companies offer any better (cheaper) deals (for single days) because there are couple hundred people around? Or is it more likely to suck and push prices up?

Quote Originally Posted by CT... View Post
    Do any Heli or Cat companies offer any better (cheaper) deals (for single days) because there are couple hundred people around? Or is it more likely to suck and push prices up?
    Yep lots of cheap deals going on around that time. 1/2 day ~$500-600 depending on operator.

Not so much on the sled rental though. Called just about every place up there and the cheapest I've heard of is $200/day.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I would rebook as fast as possible

Tailgate is a total shit show.

Other than that your plan isnt bad

Haines might be a better option all together
    Hello darkness my old friend

Just got an email re: re-booking fees, they want extra $400 + difference in fares. So, I think am stuck with my dates
    How does it work with sled rental? Sorry, the places I ski don't have any. Don't you need somebody to drive it down)

Thompson Pass is much bigger than Tailgate Alaska, you'll be fine. In previous years there have been sled bumps as apposed to rentals. You tell the driver where you want to go and he takes you there.
    Under this roof lives the love of mountains

There is also the rest of Alaska to explore... Its a big place
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Here's an old post on Thompson Pass hikes and runs during Tailgate Alaska, but not at "Tailgate" itself. I hope it helps get your stoke on!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...56-Valdezeased
    Under this roof lives the love of mountains

CT, tailgate rocks!
    I'm looking for partners too, I have decades of backcountry time in AK and elsewhere. Repost if you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    That depends?

Do you like to party with people who spend $350 for a ticket to park for a week and drink $50 worth of beer? Definitely a good time to find people to ski with... Also a great time to watch rich assholes hang out in a parking lot.

Apparently it sucks to not have a sled at it because everything close gets skied to shit.

Also, we have no snow
    In a way its a great time to go if you don't have a sled. Plenty of sled necks are happy to give bumps for $40. Its a great way to quickly skip the slog. Also, we rented a sled for a day for $200; tandeming on it, I thought it was worth it for the access it provided us, one day was enough though.