Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone been on the ON3P Skinny Goat Steeples (102)?

Did these really make it all the way to SIA without any development reviews being leaked to the prying public (searched jong!)? The Steeple 112 sounds like its a straight forward BG tour, but I'm real interested to hear if the 102 keeps the awesome reputation of BG. I am so stoked to get a skinny RES touring setup to replace my Vicik's... been holding off to hear how they ski and also tempted to just try to find a pair of 176 BG tours, figure they may float as well as the 102 184's. I usually hate to get the first version of something because invariably a season of folks skiing it will yield tweaks for next year but the BG seems dialed at this point. Is ON3P still tweaking the 102 for 14/15?

I rode them at the Mission demo days earlier this week. Overall I have to say that they were sweet. ON3P fixed all the quirks of the skinny goat protos I tried last year. The steeple 102 is not quite as directional as the new Wren but turn initiation is easier at low speed and extremely easy to make just about any turn shape you could want. Tight trees, no problem. Open bowls, point and shoot. It's not quite a C&D (which was spectacular in Bomber Bowl) for wide open charging, but should cover the needs of about 90% of the back country crowd.

The thing I really noticed about all the new ON3P skis is the better fit and finish, graphics, and tuning. The new skis are super smooth initiating a turn, kinda like a Kastle (I own 2 pair). FWIW, I think I will be touring on a 184 steeple 102 next year.

Hope that was of some use.

LT

I ended up going with 176 BG tour, but I'll be looking at these for next year. It would be great to have a whole lineup of RES skis, Steeple 102 + 176 BG Tour + 186 BG standard.

Does anyone know the production weights of Steeple 102 and 112? I remember reading that the official catalog weights are higher due to the demo sets being made of heavier core earlier this year.

184 Steeple 112s are averaging around 2120 g, I believe.

Anyone have much time on these? Just got some wood veneer ones in 184. They weigh 4 lb 8 oz per

^^Ooooh! Those should be sweet since IME the wood veneer adds stiffness and dampness. Let us know how it goes!

You probably know this, but I think ON3P has their mount points dialed.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Ooooh! Those should be sweet since IME the wood veneer adds stiffness and dampness. Let us know how it goes!

You probably know this, but I think ON3P has their mount points dialed.
    Does the wood veneer add weight though? I'm wondering if my postal scale is messed up. Published weights are a bit lighter for the regular ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    Does the wood veneer add weight though? I'm wondering if my postal scale is messed up. Published weights are a bit lighter for the regular ones.
    I too have a pair of wood veneer Steeple 102 in the 184 length, and mine also weighed 4.5 pounds/ski on my home scale (2040 grams each). I was informed that the veneer would be heavier than the stock topsheets.

I've only spent one day on them so far, and they were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post
    I too have a pair of wood veneer Steeple 102 in the 184 length, and mine also weighed 4.5 pounds/ski on my home scale (2040 grams each). I was informed that the veneer would be heavier than the stock topsheets.

I've only spent one day on them so far, and they were excellent.
    Sweet. Thanks for getting back to me on the weight. What bindings did you mount on them? I'm thinking of putting sollyfit plates on them for versatility.

Sweet. Thanks for getting back to me on the weight. What bindings did you mount on them? I'm thinking of putting sollyfit plates on them for versatility.
    Mine are mounted with large Marker F12 EPF on the line for 315 BSL.

Pics of veneers requested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1420772068.149226.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	499.2 KB 
ID:	162453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1420772081.974777.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	968.8 KB 
ID:	162454

Sweet!

Here are mine. Not the best pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1420773297.079124.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	940.0 KB 
ID:	162456

Anyone have much time on these? Just got some wood veneer ones in 184. They weigh 4 lb 8 oz per
    Did you grab those on eBay? I almost bough them on that auction.

Quote Originally Posted by NS05672 View Post
    Did you grab those on eBay? I almost bough them on that auction.
    Yep. They are from ebay

Did another mag pick up that other veneer steeple on eBay?

So I toured again on my 176 Billy's on hard pack backcountry firm to very firm. I had lots of trouble with traction skinning up and on the ice they were terrible! With my viciks I could lock in pretty well on the hardpack but these chattered a lot.

Will the steeples perform similarly? Last weekends experience has me thinking about a different ski for springish touring. I Keep having to bust out the ski crampons before anyone else.

I had a chance to demo the 2015/16 102 Steeple (189 cm) at Bridger this Saturday and thought that they were the bomb. The conditions that day were a dusting (trace of super low density with 3" of old in select areas) on a firm pack with ice under dust on south faces.

I thought they handled the conditions better than anything else that day. I rode them with demo bindings so no touring comments though I did sidestep quite a bit along with some shouldering and they felt like feathers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyskir05 View Post
    I had a chance to demo the 2015/16 102 Steeple at Bridger this Saturday and thought that they were the bomb. The conditions that day were a dusting (trace of super low density with 3" of old in select areas) on a firm pack with ice under dust on south faces.
    I too got out on the Steeples (174 for me) and was very impressed. Didn't expect it, but I liked them more than the 102 wren for Saturday's conditions . I'm totally sold on RES, the ability to enter and exit a turn is unmatched ime, although they did not hold the best edge on icy steeps. Got bucked a couple times trying to scrub speed in chop, which is to be expected for a 102 waisted, touring layup ski. I see a billygoat in my future...

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I too got out on the Steeples (174 for me) and was very impressed. Didn't expect it, but I liked them more than the 102 wren for Saturday's conditions . I'm totally sold on RES, the ability to enter and exit a turn is unmatched ime, although they did not hold the best edge on icy steeps. Got bucked a couple times trying to scrub speed in chop, which is to be expected for a 102 waisted, touring layup ski. I see a billygoat in my future...
    The billygoats are in my present, and I do love them. From what I'm seeing the Steeple 102 still shares the same quiver spot as a BG-tour. Ive been trying out the Blizzard Bushwacker inbournds this year and considering it for my BG-Tour compliment with Speeds and I'm thinking they may be the ticket. I can slide the BG fine on the ice if turning into the hill, but when I switch over to off camber to turn back across the BG just goes right out from under me. Happened at Mt St Helens last year on the shaded side of a cornice, now that it happened again this year i realize what it is. IMO for the hard stuff in the AM or shade, the ski needs a wee bit of camber to hook up right. That being said, the BG-tour is the teets in mashed potatoes, almost worth hitting the deck on the firma for the slashing ability in the cream corn.

I DEMAND rocker pics. Great looking sticks.

Anyone able to comment on these vs the ravens? Seem like pretty similar skis.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Well, still looking at these bad boys - anyone able to comment on ice/firm condition performance? Thinking of a spring/mountaineering ski that can handle the difficult conditions sometimes/often encountered...
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Anyone been on the ON3P Skinny Goat Steeples (102)?

Personally I like something shaped more like the Cochise and much less pintailed when firm snow is a good possibility. To me, the Steeple is too pintailed. The 112 is a better application of the design (pow touring ski), but is too heavy to be competitive in the dedicated touring category. A good one-ski quiver for someone that skis resort and tours with the same ski.