Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Ontario Thread

Warning, this thread will contain crappy Iphone pictures and lame ski edits. This thread is about skiing/ranting related things in Ontario. As long as I live, tgr will have to endure my lame pics/edits till I move to a good skiing area.

So heres some crappy pics from beaver valley stashes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	878.9 KB 
ID:	150373

Views:	290 
Size:	995.2 KB 
ID:	150374

Views:	263 
Size:	866.8 KB 
ID:	150375

And here's a few Iphone pics of a local "backcountry" line.

Views:	332 
Size:	854.8 KB 
ID:	150376

Views:	250 
Size:	993.0 KB 
ID:	150377

Vids coming...
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    Warning, this thread will contain crappy Iphone pictures and lame ski edits. This thread is about skiing/ranting related things in Ontario. As long as I live, tgr will have to endure my lame pics/edits till I move to a good skiing area.
    Are you the only Ontario skier allowed to post in soon to be epic thread? There are some very nice hydro cuts if you drive a little further north:
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

^open to anyone, didn't know there were any others!

Sweet pic, is that sudbury area?
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Sweet pic, is that sudbury area?
    Thanks. Not that far north: Muskoka.

didn't know there were any others!
    A guy named Powtario started an Ontario stoke thread a while back but it kind of drifted off. There are a few of us out there.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Here is some Ontario stoke beyond stoke! Huntsville native Dara Howell wins slopestyle gold. Woo hoo! Go Dara Go!

A good skiing area is anywhere there's snow. A better skiing area is where there are few others taking advantage of it.

sweet

rog

Would love to hook up for some sled skiing down those hydro cut slopes. Not much around SW Ontario, but will be staying at Lake Rosseau this weekend with the sleds if anyone's willing to give up their secret stash.
    Having a ton o fun teaching my 2 1/2 yr old grandson to ski this winter at Chicopee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140119_152456.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	150437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-20 20.00.37.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	150438  

Man, I grew up in Ontario, learned in Collingwood, and became an instructor at blue before moving out west! Pretty awesome too see this thread up!!

Skied Blue last Friday. Had to be the coldest chair lift ride ever. I'm guessing -35/40 C windchill

Few of us around here. This season has been really good, had one of my best days ever at Blue in early January. For the moment, Blue still has a deeper base than Whistler which is ridiculous when you think about it.

^^^^^ Loads of natural snow + the snowmachines run 24/7. Should be skiing well into April this year

Quote Originally Posted by pineconepete View Post
    Would love to hook up for some sled skiing down those hydro cut slopes. Not much around SW Ontario, but will be staying at Lake Rosseau this weekend with the sleds if anyone's willing to give up their secret stash.
    Having a ton o fun teaching my 2 1/2 yr old grandson to ski this winter at Chicopee
    In these parts, anything wide open that has sled access will likely be tracked out by sledders, so the best places are ski-access only. Trees are a different story. You could probably do a tour around the lake and find all kinds of places to ski. Can't speak for others but most of the places we ski are private land (with permission, of course), Hydro right-of-ways or crown land. There is so much snow in the woods, you should have no trouble finding some nice tree runs around Rosseau. Just take a long stare at the local topo map and get creative.

Ayee chicopee is where I learned how to ski. TBH SW ontario brings the untracked goods. The powerline that I posted is on a mile long stretch of the escarpment that contains cliff and powder. And osler backcountry is gnarly. All time year here.

Lake Rosseau and are has some good areas(don't know enough to point you in the direction of anything), but I remember driving by and seeing steep areas with cliffs. And most of the Lake Rosseau people are rosedale posers so you shouldn't have a problem finding untracked.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

My back yard in t dot from earlier in the week. God damn.

Views:	208 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	150540
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

^^
    Oh shit bro. Did you know you're whole world is upside down?!?

Ontario will always hold a special place in my memory. Learned my basics over 2 days at Blue Mountain on a training trip to Toronto, pretty dry Winter...dumped when I got there, super cool experience! It was Winter right after 9-11...i remember it was weird flying after that. Been amped on snowboarding ever since that trip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums

anyone on this thread NOT grow up in or around blue? i've skied there, and at horseshoe, but northwestern ontario was the bees knees for the canadian shield

stoked to see this posted, though! back in my hometown (thunder bay), they've basically had a better snow year than where i am in the BC interior, so far. first time that's happened in EVER.

i used to love hiking the hydro lines and building kickers...when it was -40 for weeks on end...during high school. the primo days were the ones we were lucky enough to steal my buddy's early 70's olympique without his parents knowing. laps to the top of the in-run were oh so much easier. the good old days.

Blue is about as good as it gets outside of any private club

in a perfect world we would have bigger and higher terrain but I'll take what we can get

winters here in southern Ontario can be ridiculous but I hope this winter will become the norm again
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Sad when your local ski hill 10 minutes away has 200' vertical, and it's a 2 1/2 hr drive to Blue for 700' vert. Get's expensive flying out west every year to get some real skiing in. In a perfect world, we'd all live in Nelson BC and smoke great bud while we Cat ski every day.
    It's been a tremendous snow year though, and the snowmobile trails are epic right now. Will be rippin it up this weekend for sure.

Sad when your local ski hill 10 minutes away has 200' vertical, and it's a 2 1/2 hr drive to Blue for 700' vert. Get's expensive flying out west every year to get some real skiing in. In a perfect world, we'd all live in Nelson BC and smoke great bud while we Cat ski every day.
    It's been a tremendous snow year though, and the snowmobile trails are epic right now. Will be rippin it up this weekend for sure.
    ^^^^this

Wow cool thread. I grew up in Sudbury and we moved to Bramalea, went to Bramalea High school for a few years. I remember skiing at what we called Mt Chingacousy thinking is was huge back then. I think it was a trash sight they turned into a ski hill. anyhow good times from way back when.

skied a legit powder day (40cm of fresh) when i was 12 or 13. riding that day was hilarious. my brother and i were on old pairs of super narrow rossi's, and had no idea how the hell to ski this weird substance they called 'powder'. my favourite run, a legitimately steeper run, normally covered in ice/rock/no snow was suddenly full of nearly a half metre of the fresh stuff. maybe it's because i was just a kid, and you look back on things differently when you get older, but even at -20 that day; it was still probably up there for one of the most fun days i've had on skis, and i've had the luxury of riding in the kootenays for the 2 seasons prior to this one. 750ft of vertical AWESOME (only when there's 40cm dumps, sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by Redneckerson View Post
    Wow cool thread. I grew up in Sudbury and we moved to Bramalea, went to Bramalea High school for a few years. I remember skiing at what we called Mt Chingacousy thinking is was huge back then. I think it was a trash sight they turned into a ski hill. anyhow good times from way back when.
    you're bringing back memories of Honey Pot on Dufferin just north of Major MacK in Maple which I believe was on an old dump site as well
    years later it became a golf course

Any of you Ontario mags up for chasing the storm out east? Looks like I'll be rolling that way tomorrow around noon headed for the general Hunter Mtn area but will make the final call tomorrow when we have a better picture of totals.

Bringing the AT gear in case I find charitable locals for a trip outside the ropes or a tour.

IM if interested.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I knew it. I knew there were other Ontario folk here. Good to see you all.