Thread: 2 broken ankles

2 broken ankles

Had a real unfortunate ski accident and ended up breaking both my ankles five minutes apart. My left has a hairline small non displaced fracture in the talus in two spots. In my right ankle I broke the tib and fib with small non displaced fractures. I also broke the talus in the left and there was a little chip that came off but no displacement. Went to two orthopedic surgeons and both said that the chip was to small to put a screw in and there was no displacement, so surgery would not be needed. I am three weeks into being in a wheel chair and in two hard casts. I am getting the hard casts off in three and hopefully start weight barring with crutches. I feel lucky to have not had surgery but still have pain three weeks later. I am a super active kid so this has been killing me but i have been doing alot of ab work and core strengthening to keep the blood flowing, been eating a healthy diet, taking calcium pills, and elevating both ankles most of the day. I had this injury on January 17 and am suppose to start my guiding job at the end of May. I was wondering if people had have similar ankle injuries without surgery and what there recovery time was? Also, how long until you returned to most activities i.e. skiing, running, biking, climbing? I know every body is different but just trying to get a ballpark b/c i have read some horror stories about talus fractures online. I'm looking forward to getting into PT and starting to regain some strength and mobility in both ankles. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hhgskier View Post
    Had a real unfortunate ski accident and ended up breaking both my ankles five minutes apart.
    you can't leave us hanging...how do you do that ::five minutes apart:: ?

Nailed a rock under the snow on a pow day trying to smear a turn on my right hander. Flipped me ten feet down the slope, recovered myself thought I just sprained it bad or something was just going to head down. Make 5 turns after I click back in do the same thing on a left hander. Ski down turns out have two broken ankles. Too prideful = two broken ankles.

spook Guest
    i don't know what to say

Your left sounds similar to mine. Did it at the end of November, been skiing hard since the end of Jan. After about 12 days of skiing (on/off), I've had my first day stay home and rest due to pain, but I think that was from a lot of deep snow boot packing with loose boots. Been hucking and all, so it hasn't really impacted my skiing, but its messing with getting around outside of skiing (limping etc). It seems to be more ligament related though - if your fracture was like mine, get your outside ankle ligaments checked out.

Paging Tanner...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Paging Tanner...
    What, from the other side?

Thought he passed..?

What do you have to wear on your feet to guide? and how is the tib fib fracture healing?

You have plenty of time for the bones to heal, just a question of getting your leg strength back.

I broke both of mine when i was 16 hucking a dirtbike.How crazy too, your diagnosis sounds very similar to mine. Left ankle cast to your knee and right to your thigh? I didn't have surgery and am glad but the grunts didn't set one correctly so i had to get knocked out twice. Worst pain was my nerve damage. Im 22 now, climb ski and beat the shit out of my feet and am all good. Stretch your achilles like mad when your casts are off. Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

spook Guest
    i didn't read the whole thread but i'm curious, did breaking the second ankle make the first ankle hurt less?

I am in 2 half leg casts. Go and see the orthopedist tomorrow for 6 week check up. I am hoping to get out of the casts and start weight barring again. Am I crazy for thinking this?