Thread: Ski pulk

Ski pulk

I recently spent some time/money putting together a durable pulk system for yurt/hut trips. I also nerded out on making a web page because I wanted to learn more about CSS. I probably spent slightly more time building the web page and describing the process than building up the sled. Wordy blog here:

DIY ski pulk

I sparked some discussion in gear swap but I thought it might be better to post here.

I used the idea of casters as a mounting point for poles then went with what I had.

Pics and Process. On snow testing to begin this week

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114641...eat=directlink
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I used the idea of casters as a mounting point for poles then went with what I had.

Pics and Process. On snow testing to begin this week

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114641...eat=directlink
    Love the pole setup, the casters are doing their job for sure and the plate reinforcement is another good thing, looks like you saved a bundle of cash compared to what I did.

In my semi-educated opinion about pulling sleds, I would shorten up the "straps" at either end of the poles so everything was as snug as possible.

I don't know about saving money with all the trips to the hardware store buying bits and pieces "I might need" and a few designs that didn't work out. Good tip about having a more positive connection from belt to sled. I'll bring a few of those "bits and pieces" and tools on my maiden voyage. The brake is an unknown but easy to adjust for experimentation.

Day One testing went better than expected

sweet shot man, looks like fun!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Bump

Thinking of building a pulk for this winter because the 3yo will be happier in a sled behind me than she would in a backpack style carrier like last winter. Will mostly be snowshoeing but might do some mellow ski touring also.

I see the Paris 960 on Amazon for like $50 shipped. I'd be happy with something a bit shorter but if that's the standard then I'm good with it.

If I'm reading things right then I should need a pair of 1/2" x 6' lengths of fiberglass electric fence post ($20 shipped), 4 5/8" female heim joints ($25 shipped), a pair of rigid casters ($12 at Harbor Freight for the 3" ones), and a waist band from a backpack. I was thinking I'd just epoxy the heims to the ends of the fence posts then attach one end to the casters and the other to the waist band. That all sound correct or am I missing some stuff here? Any other tips for getting the most out of this sort of rig?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've seen guys make the whole thing out of white PVC pipe from the HW store and a little imagination
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds like you have it covered. As stated, minimize as much slop as possible and at the belt too. The caster connection and crossed poles makes tight turns through the woods a breeze but the "turneyness" can present a challenge on hard slopes. I lent my sled to a Denali expedition and they filmed a little test.

I'm thinking of building a pulk, and have a couple of questions for those of you who've actually used one a little.

I envision using the pulk to carry 2 people's packs for a 2 night trip where the pulk will be pulled up maybe 10 miles of mountain FS roads, then left with the camp gear while day trips are taken into the steep terrain above camp. Locale to be Washington Cascades.

1) Are steep-ish FS roads too steep to control a pulk effectively with AT or Tele equipment?

2) Has anyone attempted to motorize a pulk, i.e. a track made of something like climbing skin plush, driven by a small engine or even electric motor? Having used a pulk (I haven't yet), would motorizing the thing even be useful?

1) No,not too steep. Perfect terrain.

2) Yes they have. They call it a snowmobile. Actually an electric assist sounds technologically feasible. I have a spare 960 and time. Hmmm.

I'm going to start simple, with a home altered plastic toboggan and no motor. Thanks.

As for motorization, the snowmobile is definitely not what I mean to recreate. I'm thinking of something with just enough power to assist up hills and over obstacles, and probably not propel the skier forward much if at all. It should also be materially cheaper and easier to transport, preferably fit in the back of my Jeep along with everything else it takes to make a touring trip.

This is the closest thing I've actually seen, though much more powerful and without the needed cargo capacity:

https://www.wildsnow.com/8522/skizee...n-to-the-slog/

I notice the Skizee is not for sale. That may be a clue about viability.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Bump

Thinking of building a pulk for this winter because the 3yo will be happier in a sled behind me than she would in a backpack style carrier like last winter. Will mostly be snowshoeing but might do some mellow ski touring also.

I see the Paris 960 on Amazon for like $50 shipped. I'd be happy with something a bit shorter but if that's the standard then I'm good with it.

If I'm reading things right then I should need a pair of 1/2" x 6' lengths of fiberglass electric fence post ($20 shipped), 4 5/8" female heim joints ($25 shipped), a pair of rigid casters ($12 at Harbor Freight for the 3" ones), and a waist band from a backpack. I was thinking I'd just epoxy the heims to the ends of the fence posts then attach one end to the casters and the other to the waist band. That all sound correct or am I missing some stuff here? Any other tips for getting the most out of this sort of rig?
    Or just buy a kindershuttle.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Or a chariot our second hand one was still a few too many dollars but is has been awesome you can tow an older skier too they hold there value well

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Or just buy a kindershuttle.
    Jeebus, dude. Those things are like $600 new. It's not like I'm making lawyers who sue dentists kind of money here.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Making progress! Got all the ends epoxied onto the rods this morning. If the weather cooperates I'll be able to test the whole rig out next week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481911399917.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	195335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481911407296.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	195336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481911411066.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	195337

Looking solid. Waiting for your TR.

No decent pics but the pulk was fantastic this weekend. I had a little gear bag with water and snacks up in the front and there was still room for 2 of my kids in the back. With ~100# in it I was still able to pull it easily along the flats and with some effort I could get up and down the hills too. I wish I had built it last year. To see the various kids jumping in and out as they wanted was tremendous. So much better than using my old Kelty kid carrier!