Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Other approach is to keep him busy. Get him involved in sports or after school activities. The less time he has to get high, the less he will.

Just cracking down on the kid rarely works, especially at 14, but I ain't no breeder either.
    Quoted as truth from a dad that has survived those years without killing my young. Get that boy busy doing something(s) he enjoys and vibes.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

shredgnar, you may not be a breeder but you're mostly right. At lesat, you're right about the keeping him busy part. I know that my kid is not getting high when he spends a day doing shit with me. He'll only spend those days with me (voluntarily) if we keep it fun or otherwise rewarding. So a busy school schedule, working for me after school, lots of skiing/biking/climbing/hiking/fishing maynot keep him from smoking pot (he does still hang out with his friends at times) but it keeps from being a daily stoner, and it keeps him from thinking he needs to get high to have fun. Much more effetive that flushing his stash.

Of course, if my house was reeking of pot, I'd probably search it out like the OP and take his stash just for being too dumb to use a proper container. My final steps after locating and seizing the offending baggy would be diffreent than his, but the result to the kid would be the same: $80 penalty for stupidity.

Read this thread, including the links to articles. This is what would scare the crap out of me if my teen was smoking pot. (crib notes: studies have shown that smoking pot in teen/young adult years can induce serious mental illness if there is a predisposition for them to have those issues - because of where their brain is at in its development.).... Pick out some of the highlights and have your son read them, then discuss. Scary shit. And hope he makes the choice to wait til he's older to smoke pot. )

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=Bipolar

ETA: I would also approach the conversation in a calm matter, discussing why it is so concerning to you. Helping him understand the concerns and why you would hope that he would not do it. Explain you understand the appeal, etc. but the reasons it is not worth it.

and well, if he can afford pot, he can afford to pay rent, pay for food and clothes and all extra stuff.
    Last edited by hikesalot; 02-06-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    If you wanted to be a real hard ass parent you would have called the cops and had the punk arrested.
    in the '80s my parents tried this and the cops said they couldn't arrest me

He obviously likes to bake, teach him how to bake a good bagel.

I know plenty of kids that puffed at that age.. I do think it has an effect. Same with booze. 14 is still a pretty young kid. Have a serious talk with him, get yourself educated. This isn't a debate. Make it a safe place for him to share, try reading the book Crucial Conversations.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    in the '80s my parents tried this and the cops said they couldn't arrest me
    That was an 80's thing...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i was gonna

then go skiin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

WTF is a gram. Weed comes in ounces, or if you live in the Kootenays big fat unweighed bags as payment for a few minutes work for the right people.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    ETA: I would also approach the conversation in a calm matter, discussing why it is so concerning to you. Helping him understand the concerns and why you would hope that he would not do it. Explain you understand the appeal, etc. but the reasons it is not worth it.
    Google "Adolescent brain and marijuana" and you'll get a lot of scholarly papers and articles that might help you in talking with your son. I agree the approach should be calm. I'd treat it like you would if you caught him sneaking a beer. It's funny how ppl think the two are different somehow but in a 14 yo they are equally bad in my book. I had friends who were alcoholics in Jr. High, as much a waste as getting high all the time.

Does he do any sports or other extracurricular activity? Usually that will keep a kid from doing excessive drugs. Gonna be kinda hard to get him into a sport now but you could try increased family activities if you don't already do them. The key here is not to go off the deep end - you've have to keep a dialogue open and build trust and respect IMHO. Education seems to be the better solution over "because I said so".

Edit: Tell him you love him. Tell him you care. Let him know he's got a bright future ahead of him if he takes the time now to apply himself and that there will be plenty of time in the future when he is of age and pot is legal most everywhere to smoke just like he'll be able to drink. There is a time for everything and right now is the time to lay the foundation for a successful life. Get sappy with him!
    Last edited by KQ; 02-06-2014 at 10:10 AM.

When he gets home make him do bong rips until the pot is gone.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

^^^ yes, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    it is important to consider that pot smoking (or other substance abuse) may not actually be causative. Rather, the substance abuse may be a symptom of the underlying and already existing condition.

...not that I actually read the link you posted, just saying.. as a generalization..... not like any one needs a scientific, controlled study, to tell you that 14 y/o stoners don't grow up to be Nobel prize winners.
    How about starting the most innovative computer company in the world? Or, maybe, President of the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How about starting the most innovative computer company in the world? Or, maybe, President of the United States?
    when did they start smoking? serious question. Not that it matters in my opinion as to how I'd handle the conversation with my own child. There is enough evidence for me that it's not good for the young brain that i wouldn't want to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Most successful Olympic athlete in history; self made billionaire,balloon adventurist, and near-space explorer; billionaire publisher and Mayor of New York City; media tycoon and bison rancher; repeat best-selling novelist and screenwriter; etc., etc., etc.

Regardless, it's the OP's choice how to raise his kid. If us parents didn't make mistakes, what would the criminal justice system do to stay busy?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    WTF is a gram. Weed comes in ounces, or if you live in the Kootenays big fat unweighed bags as payment for a few minutes work for the right people.
    I hear if a cop does the routine trafic stop and notices you live in Winlaw he is more liable to look for reasonable and probable cause to rip your car apart?

OP that much weed isn't worth much $ and the RCMP don't care about that small amount cuz it isn't worth the paper work BUT they would be interested in lbs of the stuff they grow in the koots

Just talk to your kid low key, lots of people some successful some not do smoke or have smoked dope, it snot the end of the world I would be more worried about him wanting to be a lawyer or a young conservative party member

and yeah not sure why you asked this bunch of drunks and stoners?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You weighed it before throwing it out?
    ^^^ this

$150 an ounce, 28.35 grams per ounce, you do the math. If you get adult prices. If not about $70 US. $70.50 CD

I was about the same age when my dad found my stash, he substituted the herb with cow shit, and melted my plastic bong...

Its cheaper now cuz the market south of the border has dryed up, at xmas I heard down in nelson its only 650$ an lb nowdays, localy I could call up my buddy and pay 50$ a 1/4 oz
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    We sold grams of Alaskan Thunderfuck back in the early 90's at the ski valley 'cause that's all us dirtbags could afford at the time. Of course, back then the thunderfuck was the balls and weed that potent was hard to find. I was one of the most popular white kids around when I scored a bunch of that stuff.

My .02...teach your kid to be smart as his actions can cause issues down the road...until it's legal. Fourteen is young and I would not condone it either. At the same time I cannot be hypocritical, so I've just spoke to my kids about the legal consequences and to be smart with your actions. If you're drinking at home or wherever you better rethink your actions about weed. Too much info proving alcohol is worse than weed and kids are learning this today.

I was ok with the weed, when my kids were teenagers, waaay better than the whisky. We talked about drugs regularly and matter-of-factly. I never gave the green light, just wanted a dialogue. So far they turned out ok.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Good move Dad. You're outgunned but you gotta try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Actually true story-I had a similar thing happen with my parents when I was 14, my dad went through my room, found and tossed an eighth. I asked him what he did with it, and he said he tossed it out the window of the car on his way to work. I hopped on my bike and traced where I thought his route to work was, and found it just before the freeway on ramp.
    That's hysterical

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    He obviously likes to bake, teach him how to bake a good bagel.
    baked bagels was my idea.
    b

IMO, what to do about your kid smoking pot has more to do with what else the kid is up to. If the kid does reasonably well in school and participates in family and extracurricular activities, that kid is probably mature enough to toke every now and then. If the kid sits on his ass and plays PS3 all day and flunks out of school, there's nothing about smoking pot that's going to help get that shit sorted out and it'd have to stop. Not sure who brought it up, but the key to an intervention of sorts is parental involvement. Spend the time with the kid, go do stuff, engage him about school work and friends... Not just chatting at dinner time, but truly involved. Plan to do stuff and go do it. Not just chores and bs, but fun, interesting stuff... And not an event - regular stuff, all the time. Look at his school work with him. Talk to his teachers. But, if you let the kid go do whatever, he'll go do whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Hugh Conway Guest
    damn, yer a regular fucking life coach now.