Shipping boards internationally for a trip?

Eh mags, trying to go on a trip with my girlfriend to Sayulita pretty soon. Due to a spinal cord injury I ride a kneeboard, and the guy from the shop down there says he hasn't seen one there in 25 years, so no luck of renting a board and avoiding outrageous airline fees. Investigating cargo & shipping options. Alaska Airlines seems to be the best bet, about $57 each way from SLC to Puerto Vallarta w/48 hour window. GF is flying from SLC (I'm in Jackson), so may send her ahead with the board. Anybody have any experience shipping internationally and any advice?

Thanks!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Alaska Air surfboard fees ($75 each way) are not much more "outrageous" than your $57 each way for shipping. Just fly with your kneeboard. If your kneeboard is smaller than 62" LxWxH it's just considered a piece of normal luggage.

The last few times I've flown Alaska w/ a surfboard they haven't charged me. If you're flying some other airline, well, YMMV.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I fly AK air often with a 5'9" surfboard in a day bag, kites in a duffle, all my clothes in a maximum legal carryon, I seldom get dinged for the surfboard fee. (two checked bags and one carry on). I have been dinged for surfboard fees leaving hawaii, and found that a good way to avoid that is to give a porter a $20 and let them take care of the check-in, win win, with a porter you circumvent the line and I've never been charged extra for a surfboard, longboard's a different story.

AeroMexico is $40 on flight. First bag is free, too.