Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    What's Somerville like these days? My Mother grew up on Stickney ave (moved in '62) and my Grandparents moved to Salem in about 1970, As a kid I only really remember the House, street and stores around the corner as a nice neighborhood, but in the 80's and 90's I remember it not being the best of places. I looked at the house on Google street view and it looks like it's becoming a nice place again (if you like the city), Has Somerville turned around?
    My father grew up in Southie, I don't think that place will ever change, My aunt still lives there.
    Somerville is filled with hipsters and young people. It's the new hot shit.

Davis Square is like Hipster Ground Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's a home game for me, not a road trip.

Where in RI do you go? I'll be in Mass. those dates, on a pretty short leash but maybe I can come up with a plan.

I'm a tourist. My wife's family.
    Warwick is base. Narraganset / Portsmouth plans.
    might go out to Block Island
    after the weekend we go to North Conway NH for the 4th and beyond

Good luck with traffic, especially southeast expressway, cape on weekends, NH/ME on weekends, 128, 95, 1...
    Can make I70 look like cake

There's so much traffic no one drives any more.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Good luck with traffic, especially southeast expressway, cape on weekends, NH/ME on weekends, 128, 95, 1...
    Can make I70 look like cake
    Eh, as long as you avoid rush hour and plan your driving to not be going to vacation places on Friday at 5 PM, it's not that bad.

If you're driving into and out of the city everyday, it can be a bitch. But otherwise, common sense prevails - avoid Monday morning/Friday evening driving, and it's really not that bad. Timing is everything...

When I lived there, Sundays coming back from mtns in NH could be brutal. Esp. leading up to that fucking toll plaza in Portsmouth NH, coming back from ME or eastern NH, that was horrific.
    And the Cape? The traffic crossing over the bridges can suck the life out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    after the weekend we go to North Conway NH for the 4th and beyond
    Hopefully you're not making that drive on Thursday. 16 will most likely be a shitshow.

When I lived there, Sundays coming back from mtns in NH could be brutal. Esp. leading up to that fucking toll plaza in Portsmouth NH, coming back from ME or eastern NH, that was horrific.
    It's much better now that they've put in those special EZ Pass lanes where you don't have to slow down. It'll probably still get backed up on holiday weekends, but I barely notice those tolls now.

And the Cape? The traffic crossing over the bridges can suck the life out of you.
    My parents sold their house in Mashpee about 6 or 7 years ago because the weekend traffic was so bad, There was no such thing as a quick trip to the store, and going anywhere to eat was out of the question. They said the Cape has changed a bit in the 55 years they've been going there.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    My parents sold their house in Mashpee about 6 or 7 years ago because the weekend traffic was so bad, There was no such thing as a quick trip to the store, and going anywhere to eat was out of the question. They said the Cape has changed a bit in the 55 years they've been going there.
    Best way to avoid Cape traffic, is to avoid the Cape. Buy on the Southwestern shore. Mattapoisett, Marion, Dartmouth, and Westport means an hour less driving and 1/100th the traffic. Though in 55 years, that may change, too.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I commute to the cape every weekend. Left the cape at 10:01 pm last night and pulled into driveway in Boston at 11:02 pm.

I never leave the cape before 9pm on a Sunday. I either leave Boston at 3pm on Friday or after 10pm. Its not hard to avoid the traffic. Shit, they even have a train that serves booze now.

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Best way to avoid Cape traffic, is to avoid the Cape. Buy on the Southwestern shore. Mattapoisett, Marion, Dartmouth, and Westport means an hour less driving and 1/100th the traffic. Though in 55 years, that may change, too.
    Those towns suck, don't listen to BD. There's not even a McDonald's in 3 out of the 4 of them! Go to the Cape.

As far as Cape traffic, I grew up half the time on the Cape and traffic's been bad there for a long, long time. When i was a kid you couldn't get across those bridges (it's actually better now that they got rid of the rotaries), go anywhere on 28 or 6A or 6 past Orleans at peak times and that really hasn't changed at all. You had to pick your times to travel back then and you still do. And it's still nice when you get when you're going, same as it was back then too. The biggest difference to me is the length of the season, there used to be no one there between Labor Day and Memorial day, now a ton more people live there year-round.
    Last edited by iceman; 06-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    North Conway NH for the 4th and beyond
    I think I'll be doing some Mtn biking in N Conway that morning if you want to go.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Maybe.... I'd need to rent a proper bike.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Headed out of RI today to VT to visit my brother in law who works at Burke Mt Academy. Sounds like maybe lunch at the brewery in Woodstock, NH along the way. Back to North Conway Thu for the 4th weekend. Any advice on fireworks shows for the kid?

If you're going to Burke you should pick up a copy of the best book ever written on skiing, by Burke Mountain Academy founder and all-around amazing guy Warren Witherell:

you can buy a used copy on Amazon, it's out of print.

One of the cool things about that book, you always hear people say that "shaped" skis came from snowboarding, but WW goes into depth about sidecut and its effects and uses and it came out while Jake Burton was still riding a snurfer.

WW died this past May at 79. RIP.
    Last edited by iceman; 07-01-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Will do..

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's so much traffic no one drives any more.
    Thanks Yogi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Thanks Yogi.
    hah, I was thinking that one went right past everyone.

We're having a 4th party on Lake Morey in Fairlee vt. (It just south of Burke 50mins) Awesome fireworks (Our place is about 50 yards from where they set em off.) Great band playing. Camping available. Plenty of family and kids around, swimming and playing in the lake early, giving way to Complete Debauchery later.

And who's your bil? I have a couple friends that are/were coaches at burke the last Couple years and should be there

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

With this hurricane/tropical storm heading up the coast a float down the Saco in Conway might be fun in the am on the 4th....
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Sounds more likely to me. I'll PM you

FKNA thunderstorms! Almost hit by a tree on 93S near the 302 exit. Weather went from Zero to Flying Trees in about 30 seconds.

That sounds about right. The storms around there can get nasty. Had a fun experience getting caught in a storm in Franconia Notch a few years back, thankfully we weren't climbing Cannon that day.