Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beast 14

Quote Originally Posted by bfly View Post
    +2

I'd love to know what overlap there might be between the Radical and the Beast 14 hole patterns with the same BSL and mounting location.
    I can comment on the Beast 16, the Beast 14 (heel only), and Radical 1.0.

The rear holes of the Beast 16 heelpiece are the same as the Radicals. The front holes on the Beast 16 heelpiece are further forward, and a little further apart. The mount points can overlap if you mount the heelpiece of the Beast 16 rearward, and the heelpiece of the Radical 1.0 forward.

The Beast 16 toepiece rear holes line up with the Radical 1.0 toepiece rear holes. The mount point is almost identical - the Beast 16 is a few mm forward. The middle toeholes of the Beast 16 MAY conflict with the forward toe holes of the Radical 1.0. They're going to be real close together. Inserts may or may not work - hard to say for sure.

Pic of the amount of toe rotation on the Radical 2. Eye balling it next to my Beast 16 toe I reckon the rotation is slightly less than on the Beast 16.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 08-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.

So these pic should hopefully answer a few questions. Apologies for the poor quality.

Toe Key:
    Green = Beast 16
    Red = Radical 2 & Beast 14 (toe only)
    Blue = Radical

Heel Key:
    Green = Beast 16 & Beast 14 (heel only)
    Red = Radical 2
    Blue = Radical

The locations have all been plotted using my 304mm Mercury boots with the power insert installed so the BSL is actually 305mm. I used the factory jigs for the Beast 16 & Radical (with my boot installed as a double check) but I don't have the new Radical 2/Beast 14 jig yet so I used the actually bindings locked on to my boot. All locations put the boot line right on the BCL with the heels set bang in the centre of their fore/aft adjustment.

The fore/aft length adjustment on the Radical 2 heels is a very generous +/- 22-23mm compared to that of the Beast 16/14 heels at 12/13mm.

The generous heel adjustment on the Radical 2 heels makes it pretty easy to jiggle the heel locations & then bring the binding back using adjustment. The problem is definitely with the toe locations as you can see that the forward most holes on the original Radical clash with the forward most holes on the Radical. Ironically, the older 5 screw toe design (not shown in my pic) will give plenty of clearance so any Vertical/Comfort uses easily remount their skis with the Radical 2 without any issues.

The QK/BF insert mounting screw specs for the new Dynafits are:

Radical 2 ST/FT:
    16no. 14mm countersunk flat heads with the head diameters reduced to 8mm

Beast 14:
    8no. 14mm countersunk flat heads with the head diameters reduced to 8mm for the toes
    8no. 12mm countersunk flat heads with the head diameters reduced to 8mm for the heel

Thanks guys. That answers my questions.

It looks like you could get both hole patterns to work with inserts if you moved the toe of Beast forward by 5mm leaving and move the heal back by 5mm. The inserts would be close but probably OK, maybe.
    Last edited by bfly; 08-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Delta angles, measured using my Dynafit Mercury boot, are:

Radical 2 ST & FT = 7.5/8mm (compared to about 15/17mm on the old Radical). Most of my Radical customers have me shim up the toe to reduce the angle so this reduced delta on the Radical 2 will be a real aid to downhill performance for most.

Beast 14 = 6mm (same as the Beast 16)
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 08-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.

So what benefit does the Beast 16 toe have over the Beast 14? They both rotate so one would think there has to be some other reason to keep the heavier toe piece on the 16.

Quote Originally Posted by bfly View Post
    So what benefit does the Beast 16 toe have over the Beast 14? They both rotate so one would think there has to be some other reason to keep the heavier toe piece on the 16.
    The Beast 16 has (better) lateral elasticity. Dynafit's 14/15 tech manual describes it (poorly) as "horizontal arm at toe piece":

(Pic is of a pre-production toe but there's no change in this feature in the production models)

Can someone give me advice how i should pick between 14 and 16?

What i should be careful about and which would perform better on piste also due security and safetly reasons.

Thanks

For on-piste, I'd go with the 16 over the 14 due to toe elasticity.

What about safe unlock on piste in case of fall if we compare them with clasical alpine bindigs?

I do not have any clue what or how it compare.

Thank you for clarify.

Beast 14's arrived today plus the new Beast 16/Beast 14/Rad 2 mounting jig which is well fancy:

Close-up of the toe locations of the Beast 16/Beast 14/Rad 2 to show how they compare:

Close-up of the heel locations of the Beast 16/Beast 14/Rad 2 to show how they compare:

What is the bsl adjustment range for the beast line? Search is getting me nowhere. I want to know if I can mount for a 302mm bsl to accommodate both Vulcans (294mm) and Cochise (310mm)
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    What is the bsl adjustment range for the beast line? Search is getting me nowhere. I want to know if I can mount for a 302mm bsl to accommodate both Vulcans (294mm) and Cochise (310mm)
    I have a Beast 16 already mounted. I don't want to move the heel around to measure, but It looks like it would adjust quite a bit more than the 20mm that my older comforts move. With only 16mm difference between your boots it should work for you

Dynafit have announced today that they're delaying the launch of new Radical 2 ST/FT, probably until next season.

Production was almost complete but apparently they are unhappy with some of the heel tolerances. Rather than issue a substandard product, and because the remanufacture time is so long, they've taken the decision to delay the product for another season.

Sounds mighty expensive to me & I would think that some heads are gonna role somewhere.

The existing Radical ST/FT is now going to be continued longer until the 15/16 season but demand for the Beast 14 is likely to go up for this season.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 11-13-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Does the 14 require a heel fitting like the 16? Also, is there any way to use a heel modified beast friendly boot with any other binding? Or do I have to take the heel mod on and off to use with other clamps? I'm interested in being able to use vulcans with both radicals and beast, and my cochise with all of my bindings (beast, radical, vertical, lord/warden, Jester, STH, p18s)...

Is this even a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Does the 14 require a heel fitting like the 16? Also, is there any way to use a heel modified beast friendly boot with any other binding? Or do I have to take the heel mod on and off to use with other clamps? I'm interested in being able to use vulcans with both radicals and beast, and my cochise with all of my bindings (beast, radical, vertical, lord/warden, Jester, STH, p18s)...

Is this even a possibility?
    Yes. Yes. No. Answers are in Beast 16 thread - afraid you will have to read

Is the Radical 2.0 going to have the same mounting hole pattern as the current Radical? I was hoping to try and get a pair of Radical 2.0s this season, but if I have to run my current Radical this season, will the 2.0 match the holes, if I switch next season? Thx.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    Is the Radical 2.0 going to have the same mounting hole pattern as the current Radical? I was hoping to try and get a pair of Radical 2.0s this season, but if I have to run my current Radical this season, will the 2.0 match the holes, if I switch next season? Thx.
    No. See previous page.

So I answered most of my questions.

Heel mod works fine for all tech bindings, you just have to adjust the heel gap back just a touch. Check the links to lee and marshal's reviews.

Still unclear to me if cramming the heel mod into a pair of lords of wardens is ok...but it seems to work for dukes, so it *should* work.

What is the actual weight of the beast 14 in grams/foot?

The marker kingpin claims 730g with brakes. The beast 16 is 953...

From a weight savings vs downhill ride and transition time perspective, lord (vulcans) or jester (Cochise) with CAST almost seems like just as viable an option as the beast for accessing terrain where you want an alternative to traditional techs. I need to weigh the jester heels on a CAST plate to get a weight comparison, but...

This is what's winding my clock this morning...

This might belong in a different thread, but whatever. I don't represent dynafit or their competitors. I'm just obsessing over gear enough to take some time to do this.

I weighed all of the binding heel pieces I have laying around from my horde.

Jester pro, p18, sth16, sth14

Each heel piece with screws and brakes plus the cast mounted radical toe is 2.0 lbs. My scale will not show me grams. But it is sensitive to 0.1 lbs (45 grams) But a conversion means that each set (heel plus rad toe) is 907 grams +/- 45 grams.

If the plates add 180 grams per ski, an ascending CAST system with p18 heels (and probably lords as well, but I didn't have those to weigh) is 1087 grams +/- 45 grams per ski.

Sure you can factor in the PITA of the swapping of toe pieces, carrying toe pieces in your pack, and brake retention rubber bands (which I didn't bother weighing), but really, for me, for roughly 130 grams per ski, I can ski alpine clamps on the descent...the beast 16 doesn't seem worth it. Lords/cast/dynafit toes are the same price as the beast. If you're going to run Vulcans on either set up and you already admit to sacrificing some weight savings to trust your bindings more while skiing...

So yeah. How much do the beast 14s weigh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1415979725.945554.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	851.9 KB 
ID:	160288

Just racking up the post count

Beast 14 120mm c/w screws & rubber band brake retainer = 835g.

Spydenjon! Thanks, mang.

Just got my Beast 14's mounted!

I mounted with the binding freedom inserts and they work great.

One thing to note though: The POZI head screws that you get from Binding Freedom are too tall on the heel piece for the forward pressure to run freely. This is also important for getting into the binding. You will have to go with the completely flat type M5 screws.

I can confirm that the lengths are:

12MM for heel (full flathead type)
    14MM for toe (either full flathead or custom POZI screws from Binding Freedom)

Any questions Im here to help!