TR: Gooseberry Etc.

Had a pretty solid group make our way down to Gooseberry last weekend. Low snow in the Wasatch, plus inversion made it a no brainer to head down there. Met up late Friday night setup camp and got to bed early. Rode a short loop on Gooseberry, I decided to take the dogs for a ride on Jem while the rest of the group shuttled something. I think it was Icehouse? Consensus was that it wasn't great, loose babyheads in a ditch most of the way on the descent. Weather was great during the day, 60's and sunny! Had a great meal that night, fire, and beers.

Dogs tired from a long day.

Next morning dawned clear and cold, warmed up considerably by 10am and we started riding around 1. We rode a loop, the Gander to Grafton Mesa, got a little off course and ended up missing out on the last part of the Gander, but it was one of the best rides I've done in a while.

Take a Gander over there

And there, everywhere you look the desert landscape is popping

The Crew

Johngchrist got dfinn good, ICED

Take a knee

Look, but watch your step

Taking a Gander on the Gander

Johngchrist sending a drop at the bottom of Grafton

Nice photos. I rode Icehouse once, nice views, but I have zero desire to ride it again, so IMHO, you didn't miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Nice photos. I rode Icehouse once, nice views, but I have zero desire to ride it again, so IMHO, you didn't miss anything.
    My wife broke her arm and split her lip wiude open on Icehouse/Broken Mesa baby heads years ago. Sounds like it hasn't changed much. The views were really rad up there though.

Great pics Jtrue. We almost went south last weekend, and now I really wish we had gone for it. Soon hopefully. Been wanting to ride Grafton for a long time.
    Keep it unclipped

I forgot about Broken Mesa!
    It was like 3 hours of slogging for maybe 20 minutes of good singletrack....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

i think that 20 minutes of good singletrack no longer exists.

Seriously? This was ten years ago or so...was it developed?

Looks like it burned up there. I think that had something to do with causing a giant nasty rut through what probably used to be nice singletrack. It's also really overgrown, doesn't seem like too many people ride it anymore. The shop guy at OTE kind of hinted at it not being worth riding, I wish he had been more blunt.

Bummer. It wasn't a 'world class' loop or anything, but it was a decent option if I was looking for something a litte different from the more popular rides.
    Hmmmmn.
    Hopefully it is being scoped out by the local trail groups as a possible rehab (or totally new) project, aside from the sandy powerline section at the end, I could see some great possibilities up there for rippin' singletrack.
    You gonna have a dirt bike down there anytime, D? Might be worth scoping.

Hopefully soon. I got someone working on a rack so I can carry it on the front of the molester van.

Rode Broken Mesa/Icehouse last Thursday. It was awful. Reviews online led me to believe it was ripping singletrack. Pedaled up the road (solo trip - no shuttle) and rode the trails. Absolutely awful. Unless those trails get major love, I will never ride them again.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com