Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Maybe he's referring to the category of home fires due to human error? Normally tornado victims don't have 'if only I hadn't started that tornado' regretful thoughts.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Great save. I also burn wood so it is always on my mind. Never too careful wit fire.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

Damn dude, glad to hear it worked out ok for you.

Too much of this kind of thing happening lately.

Been there. Had a wood stove in my house and had a perforated eardrum in my right ear and was like 85% deaf in that ear. My recliner chair in front of the tv put the wood stove off to the right. There was a window to the left, just to set this story up so it's understandable.

As I was kicked back watching tv, I kept hearing these weird sounds out the window. Kept looking, didn't see anything. Heard it again, looked out the window again. Finally got up to go in the kitchen and the chimney is glowing fucking red. I figured the roof was already on fire, as it was a triple insulated pipe.

Because I was deaf in my right ear, I was hearing the noise ricochet off the window and picking it up in my left ear, looking out the window. Fuck. Thank god I got hungry. Once I got to the stove I could hear the whoosh, whoosh of the fire in the pipe. Scared the piss out of me.

Well what happened?

Question: when this kind of shit happens with the wood stove what is the best route to avoid a full on blaze. Sounds like OP was able to reach up and knock the shit out but what if it's in an A-frame and the deposit is say 10ft up? Would suffocating it by cutting off airflows from top and bottom work best?

I have a couple of these in the house: http://www.chimfex.us

I love their "Buy Online!" tab, where you click it and it gives you the phone number to call.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well what happened?
    Well, I didn't have a ladder and there were flames and chunks of burning shit popping out of the chimney, so I spent about 20 minutes throwing everything in the kitchen I could put water in at it. That was a complete and hilarious fail. So I called the fire department, which was somewhat ego-deflating.

spook Guest
    my daddy always said never have a house bigger than you can reach

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Question: when this kind of shit happens with the wood stove what is the best route to avoid a full on blaze. Sounds like OP was able to reach up and knock the shit out but what if it's in an A-frame and the deposit is say 10ft up? Would suffocating it by cutting off airflows from top and bottom work best?

spook Guest
    stupid fucking hippies and their grow operations

Why is that guy watering the garden when the house appears to be on fire?

It appears to be a back porch barbeque out of control.

I thought Blurred was younger than that?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I have a couple of these in the house: http://www.chimfex.us/buy-online/homeowners.html

I love their "Buy Online!" tab, where you click it and it gives you the phone number to call.
    THX! Ordering some of those later today.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    THX! Ordering some of those later today.
    Heh, I think you might have to wait until Monday. But they are a good thing to have around, they don't go bad and they supposedly work great. Never had to use mine but I know right where they are.

Why is that guy watering the garden when the house appears to be on fire?
    Maybe he figures the house is gone, but he can save the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I'm a former firefighter, we were taught (and I've seen it work) that if you've got a hot fire in the firebox a cup of water in the firebox and close the door is the best technique to snuff it. The water turns to steam instantly and puts out the fire as it heads up the chimney. No fuss mo muss, once the chimney fire is out you pull apart the fire in the firebox and throw the burning wood on the lawn and let the chimney cool off.

The cup of water didn't work for me because mine was not in the path of smoke within the chimney where most chimney fires occur.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Good save. Yikes! Though I'm still trying to get over your brother in law using your helmet as a door stop.

Quote Originally Posted by timnormandin View Post
    Good save. Yikes! Though I'm still trying to get over your brother in law using your helmet as a door stop.
    That was gatorboy. Beaver's brother is the one who…well, let's not go there.