Great vid of Grafton Mesa trail by Otter

Grafton Mesa is one of my favorite trails to ride. I usually hit this at least once every time I get near St. George/Virgin UT. If I fly solo I even put in the push and ride it as a loop. Great vid with some history on the ghost town Grafton itself. Video created by TGR's very own Otter.

Damn, that looks fun. How does it compare to Porcupine Rim in terms of technical difficulty?

And how bad is the ride up to the top if you don't shuttle it?

Where's the vid?

thx
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Wow. That's some stoke, thanks Otter.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Where's the vid?

thx
    Are you asking where the vid is shot? Grafton, UT which is between Virgin and Springdale (Zion Nat. Park) in Utah. You turn off the main road in Rockville just before entering Springdale.

Smmokan -

Much more technical than Porcupine. Grafton is full of decent size rocks in many areas and riding over them is similar to having a fist fight with your handle bars in a sense. Although that description doesn't do justice because it is very fun. The more you ride it the more you find the flow ...which rocks to skirt, which to hop, which to ride over etc.

As for the ride to the top, you follow the main dirt road around to the top of the mesa which is not the bike trail. It is not bad for the most part other than one hill which is a very steep grade and quite long. In bad weather conditions it is not possible to pass in a non 4x4 vehicle. I push that hill and ride the rest on my 1x9 Demo 7.

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
    Are you asking where the vid is shot? Grafton, UT which is between Virgin and Springdale (Zion Nat. Park) in Utah. You turn off the main road in Rockville just before entering Springdale.
    I actually meant where was the vid because my stupid ass was trying to watch it in safari on an ipad so it didn't show up at all.

cool vid. with the shuttle that looks like it would be fun on the dh bike whereas porcupine on a dh bike would not be my idea of fun.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Great vid and that rider made it look good!!!

Nino Schurter and Brian Lopes on the same trail.

Made it there last spring for the first time, great trail, scenery, graveyard from the 1800s. Definitely heading back there this spring and my favourite trail from the ones I rode around Hurricane. Like P4B said, not too bad of a climb, maybe an hour pedal. More technical and exposure than Porcupine but not by a lot, some cool features, and I didn't really explore but there must be tons of huck lines right off the trail.

How did you do the areial shots? Remote control or actual Heli?

Very cool.

I can't remember the trail names but one of the shop guys at OTE was saying that there's some trails on the other side of the road that can be used to climb up so that you aren't on the road itself.

It's a pretty fun trail for sure. A DH bike is probably a little overkill although a lot of people do it. To get to the actual part of the trail that is shown above there's a bit of a pedally (but still fun) section that wouldn't be much fun on a full on DH bike. It can be tied into Gooseberry Mesa via some really fun singletrack, we did this last weekend, it ended up being around 17 miles and we got to finish with the Grafton DH.

Sickness!

This really is a props thread to Otter and his sweet Grafton vid; but, just for fun, here is another view of the bottom of Grafton trail from a few years back. Me in front in red and drboudreaux filming.

That was fucking awesome. I've been trying to convince my friends to move our annual Moab trip to St George. Maybe this video help.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Everyone should ride Grafton at least once. Awesome vid by Otter.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

still curious

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    How did you do the areial shots? Remote control or actual Heli?

Very cool.
    Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Anyone know?
    Remote Control Heli. Steve has worked with the same guy/RC Heli on other projects shooting KC Deane in Green River and some other places.

SOO much better than helmet cam.