Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tenant damage-what is fair???

I have a tenant moving out today and I am struggling to come up with a fair charge for the shitty condition the property is in. New flooring was installed 5.5 years ago and he has lived there 3.5 years. The carpet had a 10 year warranty on it and is so filthy I will never get it clean, so I feel compelled to replace it. Carpet cost was $2,100 or $210 a year. The vinyl got ripped up by his dog in the bathroom and I can not match it, so I feel compelled to replace the bathroom and adjoining laundry room vinyl. That had a 15 year warranty and cost $500 or $33 a year.

I feel he owes me about $800 for carpet and $300 for vinyl that needs to be replaced. Also, the oven is so filthy, I told him not to even bother trying to clean it, as I will buy a new one. So fuck it, that is on me. Same with a dead garbage disposal and dishwasher. The place needs to be totally repainted, which is on me. The lower cabinets in the kitchen are so dirty the stain on the wood needs to be refinished for $250. I think that is on him. There is lots of other stuff that is fucked up, but whatever.

Am I off base hitting him for about $1,100 on the flooring and the cabinet refinishing, etc? It isn't like I have money to burn fixing up after this guy moves. I don't want to be an asshole, but I am very annoyed by the fucking mess he left. WWMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I don't know anything about tenant rights laws, but how much did he put up for a damage deposit and can you legally come after him for more than that for things that could be argued are "wear and tear?"
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

His deposit was $1,575.00 So it covers all that needs to be done. Am I off base asking him to pay for the items I mentioned? I mean this was not wear and tear.
    The CA tenant / landlord rules state:
    "Tenants must do all of the following:
    • Keep the premises “as clean and sanitary as the condition of the premises permits.”
    The place is an arm pit. My mom would have kicked my ass if I lived in such filth.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

good luck getting any more money above the damage deposit, the rental contract I use addresses the possibility that damages exceed the deposit and gives me recourse,but I also require a walkthrough once a year to make sure wear and tear doesn't get out of hand.I only do a one year lease, which leaves me the option to get an abusive tenant out.
    I'd go for the full repair/replacement cost of anything repaired or replaced.

You haven't factored in your time to do anything. Keep it all.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Ur in cali...right? Make sure and comply with Civil Code requirements regarding deposits, tenant right to repair and itemization. CC 1950.5

Otherwise you're being fair
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Do you have before and after pics?

From what I have read, it sounds more than fair. The damage seems to be more than "normal wear & tear." Sounds like this guy is a lazy bum. Doubt he will take you to court to fight it. Just keep it documented.

I just found out that a tenant I kicked out over 2+ years has been trying to track me down to sue me.

if you don't have a signed detailed move-in inventory of condition it's hard to ask for anything. That said, send him an invoice of repairs made and make him challenge it.

rich old fucks complaining about money and VINYL FLOOR TILES

gimme a fucking break you old fuck---show us some pictures

landlords are so uptight about their shit tenement buildings - sounds like you are covered with his deposit so why are you on here whining about a renter

your own multiple properties ...suck it up you PUSSY
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

OP IS A FUCKING UPTIGHT BITCH

i just reread your dumb post
    Zone Controller

digitaldeath=worst troll ever

this isnt a troll you dumb homo - try posting an original thought not about being a complete spacefag

the OP is out of his mind talking pricing for vinyl flooring

this thread is a fkn troll if anything
    Zone Controller

Carpet is fully depreciated. No cost to tenant:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...-deposit.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    You haven't factored in your time to do anything. Keep it all.
    This. Your calculations are pretty lenient as it is. If things are that bad, you could easily support damages in excess of the security deposit. Most landlords I've dealt with would be charging full replacement cost for all floor coverings (including labor) and definitely wouldn't be eating the cost of the stove.

And you should be basing your calculations on the expected lifespan of the floor coverings, not the warranty period.

Not saying you should fuck over the renter, but if he legitimately trashed the place, he shouldn't be getting his security deposit back.

This ^^^

and

Raise your rent or risk more shitty tenants.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

carpet, vinyl, PAINT, dirty oven

your claims are baseless, you should refund the entire sum

this is the cost of doing business, i would expect someone as successful as you do "get this"

tell us more of the unit, otherwise you sound like a greedy slumlord
    Zone Controller

You just have to laugh at all of these Wall Street hedge funds and PE guys who think they can be landlords from 2000 miles away and make it all work when you read stuff like this. Not you Liv, I'm not implying you're a hedgie, I'm just using this as an opportunity to spout off.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You just have to laugh at all of these Wall Street hedge funds and PE guys who think they can be landlords from 2000 miles away and make it all work when you read stuff like this. Not you Liv, I'm not implying you're a hedgie, I'm just using this as an opportunity to spout off.
    Nonsense. Their deposit agreements are iron clad and you'd be up against an experienced management company. You think Blackstone actually manages the properties?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Nonsense. Their deposit agreements are iron clad and you'd be up against an experienced management company. You think Blackstone actually manages the properties?

hoping you're joking

because this is very unclear, so much so that i cannot attack you
    Zone Controller

Shit, I wish I was a big bucks hedgie, then I could pat him on his head and give him a full refund like DD seems to feel is warranted.

And 4matic, I didn't read the link yet, but fully depreciated, so what??? I have a recapture on that depreciation at some point. Point is if something should last 10-15 years and only made it to 5.5 years, I am fairly certain it is on the tenant for not maintaining the property.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    hoping you're joking

because this is very unclear, so much so that i cannot attack you

Does that mean you're going to shut the fuck up?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Shit, I wish I was a big bucks hedgie, then I could pat him on his head and give him a full refund like DD seems to feel is warranted.

And 4matic, I didn't read the link yet, but fully depreciated, so what??? I have a recapture on that depreciation at some point. Point is if something should last 10-15 years and only made it to 5.5 years, I am fairly certain it is on the tenant for not maintaining the property.
    I thought you said 10 years which is the example of depreciable life of a carpet so you could justifiably charge 1/2 the replacement value.

^^^^NOPE

OP - just seems you are complaining about standard wear and tear - carpet wears out and not in the time the manufacturer claims it does

vinyl flooring...go marble or slate ...smh

renters are not responsible for wear and tear on shoddy carpet and bathroom tiles. dirty shelves- refinished wood....you are too anal

i think this all comes down to what the renter feels his responsibility is - if he thinks none, then fuck him and take his deposit

if he thinks maybe he didnt do a good enough job cleaning, then maybe split the diff

the renters are not responsible for building maintenance, thats on you. you should have checked in after 1 year to see your shit cheap carpet isnt holding up

you sound like a greedy old fuck who needs to sleep
    Zone Controller

If the tenant is saavy and there was no move-in inventory with photos all he has to do is say it was like that when he moved in. You have no proof that it wasn't.

I'd say the best thing is to make a detailed report of the condition, with photos, and expense to restore, including the oven, and send that to the tenant. He can contest it and go from there.