Dynafit Beast Heel Fittings w/ Non-Beast Tech Bindings.

I'm going to be mounting some Beasts next week as well as changing the heel fitting on my Vulcans to the new Beast heel fitting. I'm wondering if any of you are using the Beast heel fitting with other tech bindings as well. I have a pair of Radical FT's that I'd like to continue using on another pair of skis without having to swap the heel fittings when moving between skis. According to Lou on WildSnow, Dynafit's official word is we should be swapping heel fittings when swapping bindings. Hopefully that's avoidable.
    Last edited by NickGran7; 01-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Dynafit officially says once the horseshoe is in, you cannot use it in any other binding. In reality, you can use it in any Dynafit binding, just no framed binding. They're just trying to save their asses.

Just give 1 more MM of gap between heel unit and boot and you'll be good.

The actual wording from Dynafit that comes with the Beast binding is "when mounted with a Power Insert the boots are only compatible with Dynafit system bindings".

So yes, the Power Insert can officially be used with any Dynafit binding providing the heel gap is correctly set - which as Fejau says will mean increasing the gap an extra mm to allow for the 1mm additional to the BSL due to the Power Insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    Dynafit officially says once the horseshoe is in, you cannot use it in any other binding. In reality, you can use it in any Dynafit binding, just no framed binding. They're just trying to save their asses.

Just give 1 more MM of gap between heel unit and boot and you'll be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The actual wording from Dynafit that comes with the Beast binding is "when mounted with a Power Insert the boots are only compatible with Dynafit system bindings".

So yes, the Power Insert can officially be used with any Dynafit binding providing the heel gap is correctly set - which as Fejau says will mean increasing the gap an extra mm to allow for the 1mm additional to the BSL due to the Power Insert.
    Thank you both for chiming in. I'll update the thread once I put some time on the Radicals with the Beast fitting, in case that helps anyone else with a similar curiosity.

What makes it so you can't use the mod'd boot in other frame (Duke) and alpine (Lord) bindings? Doesn't seem like it would interefere with that at all...?

Some thing to consider, I remember reading about those beast heel fittings being made with the side pieces kinda twisted so when you screw them into the heel they do not sit flush with the top edge of the boot sole where the heel piece of a frame binding would clamp down SO ... I think you you would have to do some dremeling
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What makes it so you can't use the mod'd boot in other frame (Duke) and alpine (Lord) bindings? Doesn't seem like it would interefere with that at all...?
    Lawyers 8
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I haven't tried it, but Marker Royal bindings set up with correct forward pressure are already a tight fit, and the horseshoe adds ~2mm to the upper heel ridge length so it might affect the heel closing.

True, I do remember my Dukes being tight on the Cochises. Mostly thinking about STHs/916s though, as thats all I run anymore on inbounds skis. I'll have to check heel clearances with a little extra wood shim in there.

Interested in this option for myself, running the beast for on/off piste and a plum for bc. Anyone getting any time on a modified boot with a regular tech binding?

I clicked my Vulcans with power insert in to my sth 16 adjusted toe height and forward pressure and compared to my dobermanns on the other ski. To me it seemed to fit just fine. the lip of the heel piece on the binding fit over the top ridge of the boots heel piece in the same manner as on the dobermanns. I did my own little release check by applying pressure to release the boot laterally and found very little or no perceivable difference between the two boots. Now I'm no boot tech but i skied my technica bodacious boots in these bindings for a season with tech soles on and had no problems. Thinking I'd be ok with the Vulcans in the sths as well
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

Bump old thread for update, in case anything has changed -- and since I picked up a cheap set of Beasts on closeout --

Is there consensus now on whether a boot with Beast heel fitting can fit into:
    a) frame bindings like a Marker Duke
    b) non-Beast tech bindings, like a Dynafit Vertical

I have some older Vertical ST bindings that I still want to use, so if I can't use a Beast-modified boot in a Vertical ST, that's not going to work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bump old thread for update, in case anything has changed -- and since I picked up a cheap set of Beasts on closeout --

Is there consensus now on whether a boot with Beast heel fitting can fit into:
    a) frame bindings like a Marker Duke
    b) non-Beast tech bindings, like a Dynafit Vertical

I have some older Vertical ST bindings that I still want to use, so if I can't use a Beast-modified boot in a Vertical ST, that's not going to work for me.
    Pretty sure the Beast boot insert works with the Verts, if not you can always just swap in the old insert.

No idea on the frame bindings. If they don't work, again you could always just take off the beast insert.

Have used it with Ions. No problem. With Wardens. No problem. Would happily ski them with fks type bindings as well, but the toe becomes the problem (sally mtn labs)
    Can not see any problems with Duke heels. Just check/adjust forward pressure.
    Depending on your boot you might have to grind down the insert to make it sit flush

Either grind down or compensate when setting the gap to allow clearance with radicals or verticals. I did the latter and it was fine.

I doubt you want to continuously swap out because you will eventually strip the plastic you have to drill into for the screws on each side of the horseshoe.

The beast horseshoe will not work with pivot/FKS. The forward pressure adjustment rods can not clear the boot heel with the extra width. I am thinking about either chopping off a portion of the horseshoe and relocating its screws further back, or finding helicoils for the horseshoe screws.

Cut the horseshoe and grind off superfluous material. I have done this and posted about this in the other beast threads. It will work with beasts/tech bindings and pivots/alpine bindings.

Anybody have any updates on this? I have beast heelpieces on my boots, hoping they will work with G3 zeds. Anybody have success using the beast heel with radicals, or similar pin binding?

You can use the Beast heel insert with any pin binding (ie pins at both toe & heel) but you'll need to reset the heel gap to allow for the slightly longer bsl.

It also works with the any other binding but in some it might require a bit of fettling, ie grinding the lateral 'bumps' flat or grinding off any material protruding above the top edge of boot lug.