Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CHICKENS!

CHICKENS!

I FUCKING LOVE CHICKENS

And I'm in the process of developing an unused section of our property into ChickenLand. I have not had chickens for a while, and when I did, the space was already there. Just add chickens. But now I get to start from scratch. Also tearing apart an deck around the hot tub to redo that, and I've got a bunch of material from that I am planning to use to build a coop. Trying to go all recycled/reused re-purposed materials. You shouldn't buy a bunch of expensive shit for chickens because, well, they're chickens.

Give me some ideas. Show me your coop and associated accoutrements.

SHOW ME YOUR CHICKENS!

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    that's so nasty but I can't look away
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Meat or Layers? Recommend seperate living quarters due to food and aggression issues.
    Planning on trying to incubate your own replacements? Need a rooster (allowed in your neighbourhood?), and another space for the broody hen or mechanical incubator and chicks when they arrive.
    Bears an issue? Other predators common in your neck of the woods to consider? Feed and water (or reliable sitter) for extended trips away? 12hrs without adequate water and they are done for.

Have fun and good eating!

gross

layers to start - maybe meat too

might incubate

definitely a rooster - gotta have a rooster - and a broody hen - I'll tell you the stories about Rodrigo the rooster and Annie the hen some time - both Banty

bears, lions, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, cats, dogs...

food and water not a problem I can't solve - got babysitters, and MIGHT go in on the project with my neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    bears, lions, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, cats, dogs...
    You don't have foxes?

Just remember, like the man said, everything eats chicken.

Not Miley chicken though. That shit is non-edible. bah.

Growing up, my neighbors kept chickens and roosters. One by one the raccoons, etc. gottem'. I was about 10 or 11, I squat down to pet the rooster, fucker pecked me right in the eyebrow, right to the bone. Bled like a bitch. No doubt he was going for my eye. He's dead now.

That would be a cool story if you had then grabbed the fucker by the head, snapped his neck with a quick flick of the wrist, and served a fine Coq Au Vin that night for dinner.

But I guess that didn't happen.

Well to be honest, it was about that age I did learn about chocking the chicken, so I got that going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Well to be honest, it was about that age I did learn about chocking the chicken, so I got that going for me.
    Can't just let them chickens roll down the hill.

Ain't nothing like fresh fresh eggs. I hardly ever ate them before I moved to a farm but now that I've tasted fresh eggs I'm all over them. Oh, and fresh dead chicken is AMAZING. Makes that stuff you get in the grocery store taste like tofu.

If you want a rooster but not chicks (if you are just having layers) you can get a Bantam. Once in a while they can connect and you'll get a chick but for the most part they don't have the stature to get with the full size hens.

just wrote a bunch about my henhouse in another forum, I like how it operates. check out the link and feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.permies.com/t/31757/chick...al-perspective

you would obviously want a smaller coop, but all the same design factors apply, just a smaller footprint for fewer hens.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    I have tried them in many positions, and I really think the hens like them best on the ground. Wasnt my first guess, but then again, I'm not a chicken.

sweet blog, yo!

thanks

Thanks for the chickenblog! Very nice.

Sent from my HTC One X using TGR Forums

I've got chickens. About 12 layers and 3 roosters. Possibly fewer, I found a rooster on the lawn half eaten by our standard poodle pup last week and haven't counted the remaining birds since. I fixed the tiny hole he was getting through (little fucker) he appears huge but can get through a 6" hole.

I incubate my own but last year the chicks decided they liked sleeping in the pig pen and the pigs ate them so no replacements came from that hatch.

I had a barred rock rooster a few years ago that my kids called Rainbow, he was a nasty fucker. I saw him jump/fly at my daughter and try to spur her one day so I grabbed my handy machete and when he tried to run away I took his head off as he ran past me. My daughters made a song about killing rainbow, they were happy because now they could go in the chicken yard without fear of him attacking.

As for predators, my biggest one is a 10 month old standard poodle lately but in the past I've had coyotes, hawks, ravens and raccoons confirmed. Possibly a bobcat or cougar but hard to catch them (ie. shoot them). I've got a ladder leaned up against the house so at a moments notice I can be on the roof with my Ruger 10/22 and 2 25 shot clips spraying lead.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

This thread is sure to attract some bald-headed chicken fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I had a barred rock rooster a few years ago that my kids called Rainbow, he was a nasty fucker. I saw him jump/fly at my daughter and try to spur her one day so I grabbed my handy machete and when he tried to run away I took his head off as he ran past me. My daughters made a song about killing rainbow, they were happy because now they could go in the chicken yard without fear of him attacking.
    This you?

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I LOVE FUCKING CHICKENS
    ...But now I get to start from scratch...
    Heh!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    This thread is sure to attract some bald-headed chicken fuckers.
    Attract them? Shit, have you ever seen the guy who started this thread?
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

I has been mentioned before but everything eats chickens. And they will come.

Also please don't make your kids collect the poop and make it into "tea" for your organic garden. That chore was lame. If you want tea for your garden, make it yourself.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    I has been mentioned before but everything eats chickens. And they will come.

Also please don't make your kids collect the poop and make it into "tea" for your organic garden. That chore was lame. If you want tea for your garden, make it yourself.
    Always compost before making tea. There are lots of pathogens in chicken shit that will make us sick as a dog

If you get the right breeds you can get away with a simple "hoop house" covered in tarp. Use cattle panel and make arches. Ours looks super rednecky, not like the painted chicken taj mahals my wife originally wanted.

Also, stick with layers. Meat birds were disgusting, vile, and got fat and squashed some of the laying hens.

Oh and look into the chicken watering nipples - you can use aquarium heater if cold. They drill into buckets and then just fill a 5 gallon bucket or two. Lasts awhile and with a lid they won't crap the water, like they do with everything else they touch.

Old friend decided to keep a few chickens and as usual went overboard and built the taj mahal of chicken coops.

Half log cabin half screened in porch.

Earthen roof for insulation with a mix of some perennials and annuals.

Prayer flags backed up with motion detector lights to keep the raccoons away.