Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The 20 Signs You’re A FLID

This is a New York thing. For those who could give a, just, keep on moving.

http://elitedaily.com/humor/the-19-s...and-douchebag/

I thought it was going to be about F'ing Loser In Disguise .... Thought I was close, then realized how far off I was. Not even close to "Disguise".

Killing it:

...your drink of choice, long island iced tea, is really just a dumpster filled with garbage alcohols – kind of like your girlfriend.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Never heard the phrase FLID, but man I know the type, fuckers have spread North via the SUNY system other colleges FYI, the school mentioned, Syracuse, while facing pandemic levels of FLIDs is not an hour from Long Island, actually more like 5-6 hours. Like the Emerald Ash Borer, they can travel long distances and leave devastation in their wake; this species must be contained at all costs.

If you need an example of what happens when you have a high population FLIDs interbreeding with native populations, see exhibit A:
    http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random...n-riots-ensue/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Hugh Conway Guest
    just napalm new york south of the throughway.

heading your way in June Benny

I think the long island women might even be worse.

as a lacrosse referee that works tournaments in the summer, FLID is a well known and oft used phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    I think the long island women might even be worse.
    See my quote from that article.

Sounds like a great place. I'll have to remember not to visit there some day.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Really what the whole FLID thing and the whole "Jersey Shore" thing, the whole "New Jersey Guido" thing, is about, is Italian-Americans, particularly those of southern Italian extraction. That's not exactly a revelation, but it's kind of a curiosity. It's been a long time since immigration from Italy was a big thing, going on a hundred years, and still a LOT of people hate Italians. What's up with that?

edit: I mean I have my own half-baked theories but I'm curious what people have to say.
    Last edited by iceman; 01-23-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Well, there is also the 'JAP' factor to consider. I mean, Sicily isn't that far from Israel, as the boat flies!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This is stupid... I guess if you've never set foot on Long Island you'd be entertained...

Whatevs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    just napalm new york south of the throughway.
    Or "Thruway" if you're actually FROM NY...

I lived in Huntington for a while, and I know there's all kinds of people on Long Island, all kinds. But the people in the thing at the start of this thread, and the Jersey Shore thing, they're not talking about those different kinds of people, they're talking pretty specifically about Italians, although they don't come right out and say it (although "Guidos" is pretty specific for sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    See my quote from that article.

Sounds like a great place. I'll have to remember not to visit there some day.
    Having lived not far from long island for a number of years my impression of the women were as uber-entitled and wealth obsessed. I think that reality show about 6 figure sweet sixteen parties was based in LI.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    Or "Thruway" if you're actually FROM NY...
    thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    thanks for the compliment.
    Made me chuckle!

Hugh Conway Guest

eh, icey, think it's more a persistent subculture in a place. yes it's marginally ethnically tied (but definitely not exclusive). longuyland and bawston are about the only places left with such things now.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Never heard the phrase FLID, but man I know the type, fuckers have spread North via the SUNY system other colleges FYI, the school mentioned, Syracuse, while facing pandemic levels of FLIDs is not an hour from Long Island, actually more like 5-6 hours. Like the Emerald Ash Borer, they can travel long distances and leave devastation in their wake; this species must be contained at all costs.
    Back in my day (mid-late 80's) UMD was the closest ACC school to Loangeyeland, Passaic, the Oranges, and the Shoah. I had many dorm-mates and friends in the Fraternities that were the precursors to today's FLIDs and NJ Guidos.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Really what the whole FLID thing and the whole "Jersey Shore" thing, the whole "New Jersey Guido" thing, is about, is Italian-Americans, particularly those of southern Italian extraction. That's not exactly a revelation, but it's kind of a curiosity. It's been a long time since immigration from Italy was a big thing, going on a hundred years, and still a LOT of people hate Italians. What's up with that?

edit: I mean I have my own half-baked theories but I'm curious what people have to say.
    My MiL lives in Guido Central - quite literally a nice stroll up the beach from where Jersey Shore was filmed. Many of the representatives of the stereotype you meet there (the Ocean Club) don't have names ending in "I" or "O." It's cultural, but not solely Italian. The sons (and daughters) of her next door neighbor have truly impressive tans, Gym pecs, Ed Hardy clothing, frosted tips, and white German cars (or Mustangs - it's Jersey) yet their Dad is from Spain and Mom from Cuba.

Maybe it's the whole "True Romance" thing?

Is there an Ocean City, Md. Equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    FLID's who go to UMCP?

Ocean City, what a horrible place. Except for high school beach week. Holy drunken shit show. Pretty sure I touched a boob.

edit: oh, equivalent to FLID? not sure, I stay out of OC pretty much. Too many Camaros.

The Baltimore suburbs are their own place. They don't seem to travel, except to OC. They're not heavily Italian there, as far as I know.

^^^ all 3 forms of thair up thair.

We call them "Rednecks." They prefer torn up Bearded Clam shirts and drinking Bud Light.

I worked in OC one summer in 1988. Haven't been back since. Seriously.