Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    That would be tufa....
    Actually, Mono has both. Volcanic tuff and precipitated tufa. I remember hoisting the tuff above my head Hercules-style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufa

Can I take it for granite you know your geology?
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

The Nat Geo special Collapse was really entertaining if anyone wants to skip the reading. This discussion is pretty cool, some interesting perspectives for sure.

Either way you slice it the concepts found in Collapse are highly applicable to what we are facing now. If this winter and others recently is a tell tale of the near future the ski industry isn't the only thing about to collapse.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/cl...128-31jf0.html

restaurants will be charging for water soon.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    restaurants will be charging for water soon.
    b
    Coke tried to by the rights to the springs on the Peaks here a few years ago. It's our city water. This is going on all over the place. Looks like the big beverage company's are looking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Saw that the other day. SSTs are projected to go quite positive. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

spook Guest

spook Guest
    http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...run-out-water#

California drought: 17 communities could run out of water within 60 to 120 days, state says

By Paul Rogers

progers@mercurynews.com
    POSTED: 01/28/2014 06:28:22 PM PST | UPDATED: ABOUT 14 HOURS AGO

MORE COVERAGE: DROUGHT

As California's drought deepens, 17 communities across the state are in danger of running out of water within 60 to 120 days, state officials said Tuesday.
    In some communities, wells are running dry. In others, reservoirs are nearly empty. Some have long-running problems that predate the drought.
    The water systems, all in rural areas, serve from 39 to 11,000 residents. They range from the tiny Lompico County Water District in Santa Cruz County to districts that serve the cities of Healdsburg and Cloverdale in Sonoma County.
    And it could get a lot worse.
    "As the drought goes on, there will be more that probably show up on the list," said Dave Mazzera, acting drinking-water division chief for the state Department of Public Health.
    Most of the affected water districts have so few customers that they can't charge enough money to pay for backup water supplies or repair failing equipment, leaving them more vulnerable to drought than large urban areas.
    The state health department compiled the list after surveying the more than 3,000 water agencies in California last week. The list will be updated weekly, Mazzera said.
    State health officials are in discussion with leaders of other agencies, including the state Office of Emergency Services and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to work on immediate solutions, he added. Those could include everything from trucking in water to the health department providing emergency funds for drilling new wells or connecting faltering systems to other water systems.
    A similar list of vulnerable communities was compiled during California's last drought, which lasted from 2007 to 2009. But the current drought is more severe. Less rain fell in 2013 than in any year since California became a state in 1850.
    Even though some rain is forecast for Thursday, major storms are desperately needed this winter and spring to replenish depleted reservoirs, rivers and the Sierra Nevada snowpack -- which on Tuesday stood at 14 percent of normal.

"This is a statewide drought. This is a serious drought," Bill Croyle, director of the state Drought Task Force, said Thursday. "It's all hands on deck."
    Croyle, an official with the state Department of Water Resources, made his remarks at a meeting of the Delta Stewardship Council, a state board of water experts.
    Asked by board member Hank Nordhoff, a San Diego businessman, where the water will come from to bail out small systems, Croyle said he's working on it.
    "You are going to get it wherever you can get it," he said.
    Retorted Nordhoff: "That's a frightening reply."
    Croyle cited the possibility of new pipe connections to other water systems and trucking in water.
    "On the Central Coast, they have in the past looked at desalination," he added. "So if we lose our groundwater and surface water, we are going to go to the ocean. It is going to be expensive, but you bring in mobile plants and fire them up."
    Since California's last major drought, which ran from 1987 to 1992, most major urban areas have spent millions of dollars to store water underground, fund conservation programs, build new reservoirs and construct wastewater recycling plants. As a result, their residents are feeling little effect so far.
    On Tuesday, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission announced a voluntary 10 percent cutback for its 2.6 million customers in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda counties. Similarly, the Santa Clara Valley Water District has requested a 10 percent voluntary cutback. Others, like the Contra Costa Water District and the East Bay Municipal Utility District, have not yet asked customers to meet conservation targets.
    The story is different in many rural areas.
    Lompico County Water District, in the Santa Cruz Mountains near Felton, has long-standing water supply issues and is exploring a possible merger, but so far has been stymied by nearly $3 million in needed upgrades -- a hefty bill for the district's 500 customers.
    A boat dock is nowhere near the water at Stevens Creek Reservoir in Cupertino, Calif., on Jan. 22, 2014. (Nhat V. Meyer)

"We have been unable to take water out of the creek since August and well production is down, and we didn't have that much water to begin with," said Lois Henry, a Lompico water board member.
    Henry said she hopes the state comes with funding to help the agency find more reliable water. The district could soon have to begin trucking in water, she said.
    "I'm frankly worried," Henry said. "I know people turn their faucet on and say, 'Oh, everything's fine.' And I know it's not."
    In Cloverdale, where 9,000 Sonoma County residents draw their water from four wells, low flows in the Russian River prompted the City Council last week to put in place mandatory 25 percent rationing, which includes a ban on lawn watering. The city raised water rates 50 percent to put in two new wells, which should be completed by July, said City Manager Paul Caylor.
    "Hopefully," he said, "we'll be able to get through the summer and the development of this project will pay off."

[QUOTE=bl2000;4166740]
    Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post

Examples please. I'm not an anthropologist, but there were very few obvious mistakes I caught and generally he seems to present multiple sides of an argument stating where there's still debate. In any event, the whole field is still immature, pretty much. It reminds me of a paleontology course I took in college where the prof said the first day "I'll tell you what I know and what I think we know, but nearly everything you'll learn in this course will be proven wrong within five years."
    I walked away from college convinced that most anthropologists were science fiction writers, and haven't really changed my mind since.
    What pisses me off about this new climate science is somebody telling me what the weather was 200, 500, 2000, even 300,000 years ago. We don't know. We didn't have enough and accurate instruments until very very recently, and don't start with the tree ring shit. Christ, I heard, on NPR, of all places, their science reporter talk about climate conditions 1,000,000 years ago! Jezuz fuck, this is getting out of hand.

[QUOTE=Benny Profane;4170402]
    Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post

I walked away from college convinced that most anthropologists were science fiction writers, and haven't really changed my mind since.
    What pisses me off about this new climate science is somebody telling me what the weather was 200, 500, 2000, even 300,000 years ago. We don't know. We didn't have enough and accurate instruments until very very recently, and don't start with the tree ring shit. Christ, I heard, on NPR, of all places, their science reporter talk about climate conditions 1,000,000 years ago! Jezuz fuck, this is getting out of hand.
    I suspect you're from New Jersey.

[QUOTE=Benny Profane;4170402]
    Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post

Sorry but I don't think you know what you are talking about.

I study climate / atmospheric science for a living. Dendrochronology (Tree rings) can be used to accurately determine climatic and atmospheric conditions up to 6,000 years ago in some areas. The trees generally used for reference are Bristlecone Pine (Pinus Aristata) and the Water Logged Oak, (Quercus sp.) which can be found in Germany/England/Ireland.

Tree rings are overwhelmingly accepted by the scientific community as a reliable way to determine past climatic conditions. They are also useful in determining the amount of carbon dioxide that was in the atmosphere at a given time.

Ice core samples can be used to determine climatic conditions even further back in time. Most of the ice core samples come from Greenland and Antarctica. In Greenland, ice cores can be used to determine climatic conditions up to 120,000 years ago. In Antarctica, ice cores can be used to determine climatic conditions up to 800,000 years ago.

For more information about this: http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/bas_rese...rebriefing.php

It pisses me off when people who have no idea about the science behind anthropogenic global warming attempt to tell me that human caused global warming is a "myth." If you believe in the theory of gravity, then you should believe that human caused global warming is a real phenomenon as well. The science behind both of these theories is very solid, and widely accepted among the scientific community. The only "scientists" that claim global warming is a myth are usually working for an exxon mobile funded think tank. The fact that there is even a debate over the science of global warming is very sad, and is perhaps one of the greatest problems facing American society. The science behind global warming is widely accepted as truth within the scientific community - It is a shame that certain individuals and corporations with ulterior motives have had such a significant impact on the debate surrounding this very real issue.

The fact that California is experiencing the driest year since 1850 is very obviously related to human caused global warming, but people want to put their heads in the sand and say that global warming is not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

spook Guest
    somebody's tiny little bottom is red after that spanking

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Edited for correct attribution.

Jesus, dude ... do you advocate throwing scientists into a lake to see if they float?

Anyhoo .... if you want a different perspective on why societies decline, check out Rats, Lice and History. Not very cheery, but pretty damn interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Social.../dp/1412806720
    Last edited by hortence; 01-29-2014 at 02:06 PM.

HEY HOLD ON A MINUTE. I don't know why Benny's skeptical post is looking like it comes from me!!!!!!!!!

I studied climatology in grad school and took classes from some of the scientists who originally "discovered" the increase CO2 content in the atmosphere and hypothesized its impact on global climate trends. Of course, tree rings, ice cores and radio dating can be combined to give us a strong sense of pre-historical temperatures.

Ms. Ann Thrope: I'm not from NJ, but have lived there for the last 1/2 dozen years. I suspect you read my Hook Up post about moving out to Utah to deduce WRONGLY what you did. But, I forgive you and I STILL WANNA FUCK YOU.
    Last edited by bl2000; 01-29-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks Hortence

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Dendrochronology (Tree rings) can be used to accurately determine climatic and atmospheric conditions up to 6,000 years ago in some areas.
    But, how do you know it's "accurate". How can the theory be proven? Do you have a Time Machine, too?

Ice core samples can be used to determine climatic conditions even further back in time. Most of the ice core samples come from Greenland and Antarctica. In Greenland, ice cores can be used to determine climatic conditions up to 120,000 years ago. In Antarctica, ice cores can be used to determine climatic conditions up to 800,000 years ago.
    Ditto here. I mean, really, I have heard scientists claim that they know what climate was like even further back in time from ice cores. Please explain to me how this can be proven.

It pisses me off when people who have no idea about the science behind anthropogenic global warming attempt to tell me that human caused global warming is a "myth." If you believe in the theory of gravity, then you should believe that human caused global warming is a real phenomenon as well. The science behind both of these theories is very solid, and widely accepted among the scientific community. The only "scientists" that claim global warming is a myth are usually working for an exxon mobile funded think tank. The fact that there is even a debate over the science of global warming is very sad, and is perhaps one of the greatest problems facing American society. The science behind global warming is widely accepted as truth within the scientific community - It is a shame that certain individuals and corporations with ulterior motives have had such a significant impact on the debate surrounding this very real issue.

The fact that California is experiencing the driest year since 1850 is very obviously related to human caused global warming, but people want to put their heads in the sand and say that global warming is not happening.
    And, there you go. If one questions the beliefs of the "scientific community", one is a patsy for Exxon, and a neanderthal. Like the "scientific community" isn't human also, with all sorts of misplaced ambitions, cognitive bias, and, well, just plain mistaken sometimes. Some hold them up at a level that theological leaders were just a few hundred years ago. Oh, ye of no faith……….

Your last statement is the tell. A short drought (so far) in California, and the blame is squarely placed on global warming. How about that 70's drought? Wasn't it cooler back then? How about the drought in 1810? Oh, wait, there were no white men to even notice, let alone record the climatic conditions. Not that they could. Reliable instruments didn't even exist.

Only climate scientists have the balls to predict the future with certainty these days. That turns me off right away, because they don't even know the past.

You obviously have no clue what the fuck you are talking about so I am not going to waste my time explaining the science behind this to some dumbass living on the shitthole LEAST coast

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    somebody's tiny little bottom is red after that spanking
    that sounds bad coming from a NAMBLA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

You obviously have no clue what the fuck you are talking about so I am not going to waste my time explaining the science behind this to some dumbass living on the shitthole LEAST coast
    And, like I haven't gotten that simplistic response when attempting to talk about this subject. "You're an ignorant moron, I know better, bye." Nice debating skills.

And, what, pray tell, does my living on the east coast of North america have to do with anything. I thought this was a worldwide issue?

Just for the record, I'm not a denier. I just don't know, and the evidence is pretty sketchy, simply because, as I said, we have no real data outside of fucking tree rings.

All the regional elitism... I'm not the biggest fan of the Northeast (especially their laws, NH excepted), but come on, the metropolis spanning from DC to Boston is arguably the epicenter when it comes to scientific research. There's just so much money, so many government agencies, scientific organizations, conferences, etc etc. Yes, Boulder has NCAR and the west coast has plenty of top universities full of experts as well, but how are you gonna pull out the "LEAST coast" insult for this one? He's not talking about the epic pow that Taxachussetts has, or something like that. There was a legitimate points being made until the Boulder elitism came out...

Benny, I am actually kind of shocked at the statements you are making. I thought you were smarter then that.

First scientists don't "believe" the results of their experiments, they know (with varying degrees of confidence) whether something is true or not.

Here is a much better explanation because I'm really too lazy to type it all out on my own.

http://www.windows2universe.org/peop....html&edu=high

But really, your ignorance is disconcerting. It's part of the reason why a relatively civil discussion about a climatic phenomena can quickly turn all polyasshat, because most people, if they don't understand something, tend to get hostile rather than addressing their own ignorance.

And you know what, calling an anthropologist a science fiction writer is kind of a compliment. Writers like Jules Verne, or H.G. Wells help bring our current world into being by writing about things that most people had no idea were possible.

http://voices.yahoo.com/science-fict...y-5058882.html

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And, like I haven't gotten that simplistic response when attempting to talk about this subject. "You're an ignorant moron, I know better, bye." Nice debating skills.

And, what, pray tell, does my living on the east coast of North america have to do with anything. I thought this was a worldwide issue?

Just for the record, I'm not a denier. I just don't know, and the evidence is pretty sketchy, simply because, as I said, we have no real data outside of fucking tree rings.
    lennon would be embarrassed and disgusted by you

Here's a pretty cool site explaining the different types of data that climatologists use to do their science.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access...-data/datasets

Dude, I went to high school.

What does that have to do with tree rings and ice cores? How have they been proven to be correct in this process? Please explain.