Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I now have some in a box in front of me. Might try and do some useful measurement tomorrow, but for now... the rear two holes of the toepiece are the same as the rear holes of the STH toe, and the front two holes of the toepiece are well clear. The 4 heel screws don't match the STH heel at all, but look like they're close enough to cause conflicts. I don''t have any STH2 stuff to compare it to. There's not obviously anything special about the heel piece to let it take touring soles. To remove the brake (or remove the heel from inserts) you need to screw the entire heelpiece off the rails. No mounting template, obviously, but they do generously provide a cutout'n'keep paper feeler gauge to get the right toe clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I'll believe the claims when I see it, but according to the propaganda these look great. Also interested in knowing about the hole pattern.
    Little late to the party but Warden WTR, STH2 WTR, and STH2 Z use the same jig. Heel pattern for all 3 bindings are the same. Toe hole pattern is the same for all 3 bindings for the back 2 holes. Front holes for the Warden measure 65mm in front of the back holes and appear to be on center. Front holes for the STH2 WTR are 30mm in front of the back holes and don't appear to be on center.

Cheers for that info, that's the same than I got, which makes me pretty confident in my template.
    For those interested, it can be found here: http://www.powderguide.com/community...nhang1105.html (not verified for Warden)

Quote Originally Posted by rug wheelie View Post
    STH2 Z
    Never heard of a binding named STH Z, could you shed some light on those?

Never heard of a binding named STH Z, could you shed some light on those?
    Not 100% sure but its marked on the jig. My assumption is that they are planning on upgrading the Z binding to the new heel at some point in the near future. The Z binding is their 3 hole binding that evolved from the Quadrant.

Probably the old STH heel will go and become history some time. Then it would make sense.

My pair just showed up so I guess I am committed but any feedback on these yet.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    Cheers for that info, that's the same than I got, which makes me pretty confident in my template.
    For those interested, it can be found here: http://www.powderguide.com/community...nhang1105.html (not verified for Warden)
    Just used this template to mount my wardens... it works fine.

Put in some binding inserts... screw lengths are 4*12mm for the heel and 2*20mm for the back of the toe (just like the STH2, unsurprisingly) but I'm not totally certain what the two forwardmost screws should be. Looks like about 18mm. All countersunk and flat head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bohrschablone_Salomon-STH2 and warden (1).pdf 
Views:	4440 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	161829

The link for the template doesn't seem to be working. I saved the file before so here it is if anybody needs it.

Which boots are you using them with coldandwet?
    Last edited by Besniwod; 12-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.

I mounted mine up last week without a template, easy once you center everything would probably of printed this out on a transparency and used it if I had it. Good buys on atomic wardens on eBay got mine for 219.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Besniwod View Post
    The link for the template doesn't seem to be working. I saved the file before so here it is if anybody needs it.
    Sorry, mate. There was a minor tweak to the template and thus the old link didn't work any more.

All the up-to-date versions of my templates can always be found here: http://www.powderguide.com/community...=seite#pid7410
    (although it is in German, it should be fairly easy to find the right template, I'd say )

Vielen Dank.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Next year's Wrenegade 112 with these, CAST, and Freedom SLs could make most of my quiver obsolete.
    CAST do not offer their stuff for Warden bindings yet. Anyone know if this will happen?

Thought I would give a bit of a longer term update on the wardens.

Have done a season and a half patrolling and generally riding on the wardens mostly with Mercurys and a couple of weeks with k2 pinnacle 130s. They have stood up to the abuse well and are going strong. Have had a number of impromptu in-field release tests now and and am happy with the results. They have released when expected and wanted. They seem to have more than enough toe adjustment to fit the Mercurys. I'm about 180cm and 70kg, have the dins set to around 9, they are on 185 Cochise.

One ski prereleased once on me with the Mercurys when I was skiing through a bit of choppy snow, not sure what that was about, had skied harder and faster with them prior with no issues so think my boot may have not been in quite properly.

So far I'm very happy with them. Nice to be able to use a alpine binding with a touring bit finally.

anyone have more data on these things?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Mounted mine on a pair of blister pros using Cochese boots so far they have kept me locked in skiing fast and crusty to moguls to boot deep toe piece seems very solid

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    CAST do not offer their stuff for Warden bindings yet. Anyone know if this will happen?
    According to Lars, yes, but he didn't give a timeframe
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I have about 70 days on mine. I am only 145 lbs but ski hard and often, thus far they have been solid. I have used them with both Alpline and Touring standards. Maybe not as much elasticity as Driver's which is what we all wish solomon used for the toe of this binding but overall retention is great with no unexpected releases. The brakes seem a little cheesy to me but go with the overall plasticy look solly seems to be going for..... The bottom line is that this binding does what they said it would work for both standards and does it pretty well. The Marker lord looks more solid but I think there is less room for play to develop with Salomons design.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Hi all,

I just received a set of Wardens today, and I have a mounting question (feeling particularly blonde).

The heel plate/track has integrated spacers/washers (for lack of a better word) which prevent it from sitting flat on the ski. Both the Salomon shop and alpine tech manuals have a very low resolution photo implying that it should be flat on the ski.

I've attached a photo from the STH2 thread and annotated it to point these washers/spacers out.

[edit] I've been staring at this for some time now.

It appears as if they're separate parts, and when you screw the plate in place, it will force small molding "tabs" to break free, and voila - the washer/spacers float up into the plate and let the plate sit flat on the ski. Am I getting it?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-19-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^ i believe the STH2s had similiar tabs that one had to tighten until they snapped free.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Thanks. Yes, the photo I posted was actually an STH2 from the thread on that binding. I had to stare at my plates for a while, until I held it up to the light and saw how tenuously the tabs were affixed to the plate. I was looking for a reality check and I got it

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Anyone in the 200lb or higher crowd have some days on these at din 12 or 13? Or will Solomon make one in the 16-18 range?

Any other thoughts on these?

They worked out fine for me this year. I'm "only" 170 Lbs & don't drop cliffs, running them at about DIN 8.

I haven't skied Alpine bindings in years, so I can't comment whether this is common of Salomons (likely it is), but you have to give them a real hard stomp to click in at DIN 8.

I don't recall having a need to release all year, but on a deep day, I can see where you'd have to build a pretty solid platform in order to stomp into them.

Overall, this is a minor nit, and I'll likely get another pair for a pair of GPO's arriving here this Summer (unless something good by Look is released - the info is unclear).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

As far as the CAST system with Wardens goes, Lars said it will be available in 2017... Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by mickymikey View Post
    Thought I would give a bit of a longer term update on the wardens.
    Have done a season and a half patrolling and generally riding on the wardens mostly with Mercurys and a couple of weeks with k2 pinnacle 130s. They have stood up to the abuse well and are going strong. Have had a number of impromptu in-field release tests now and am happy with the results. They have released when expected and wanted. They seem to have more than enough toe adjustment to fit the Mercurys. I'm about 180cm and 70kg, have the dins set to around 9, they are on 185 Cochise.
    Thanks, for the update.

Anyone else have experience with the Murcury/Warden combo? Think of picking up a pair this summer.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge