Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Thanks, for the update.

Anyone else have experience with the Murcury/Warden combo? Think of picking up a pair this summer.
    Just get them ;-) You'll make them work. As much as I used to be a Marker man (as well as Look), the Wardens feel more predictable to me (retention/release) than my short term relationship with a pair of Dukes.

1000-Oaks has a screamin' deal on a new pair. They're around page 5 of the Gear Swap. If you don't buy them, you'll force me to cave in and pick them up. I can always find a use for them, but please ... save me from myself.

[edit 28-Aug] I picked them up from 1000-Oaks. Realize however that there are some good deals out there at the moment - about $25 more than his price but still vary good (about $170.00).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-26-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'm also thinking considering Wardens on my new skis now, instead of the Ninja 916s I picked up recently. More for the reason of be able to do a dual insert mount with Kingpins much easier than with 916s (heel holes clash would majorly, all holes would be 8mm centre-to-centre from each other and no way around it), but rockered sole compatibility would be a bonus on that ski.

Long-term durability is why I mostly use 916s now; I've had STH 16 heels go pretty sloppy in 2-3 years previously (play in the heel unit and releasing easier than they should). How would a Warden compare for durability compared to an STH 16 or 916, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    I'm also thinking considering Wardens on my new skis now, instead of the Ninja 916s I picked up recently. More for the reason of be able to do a dual insert mount with Kingpins much easier than with 916s (heel holes clash would majorly, all holes would be 8mm centre-to-centre from each other and no way around it), but rockered sole compatibility would be a bonus on that ski.

Long-term durability is why I mostly use 916s now; I've had STH 16 heels go pretty sloppy in 2-3 years previously (play in the heel unit and releasing easier than they should). How would a Warden compare for durability compared to an STH 16 or 916, anyone?
    I can't speak to durability, because I don't break bindings, but thanks for reminding me to do a test mount on a 2x4, to optimize for a bit of BSL range, as well as locating the bindings to have good hole spacing with respect to a pair of Kingpins. There's an outside possibility that Kingpins may land on my new GPO's at sometime (threaded inserts for swap capability, of course).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Just get them ;-) You'll make them work. As much as I used to be a Marker man (as well as Look), the Wardens feel more predictable to me (retention/release) than my short term relationship with a pair of Dukes.
    I like the way you think and thanks for the feedback. I was only hesitant because couldn’t get old Baron to work with Mercurys (not enough toe height) and the EPS version *barely* fit.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    do a test mount on a 2x4, to optimize for a bit of BSL range, as well as locating the bindings to have good hole spacing with respect to a pair of Kingpins.
    The Warden heel has a ton of adjustment range (28mm) compared to a worm-screw 916 or STH heel (about 18mm), so you're probably good to go if you plan ahead when you mount the Warden heel.

I have a set of brand new Wardens for $150 if anyone is looking

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I like the way you think and thanks for the feedback. I was only hesitant because couldn’t get old Baron to work with Mercurys (not enough toe height) and the EPS version *barely* fit.
    As far as toe height clearance, I recall comments in some threads on this forum about Scarpa Maestrales requiring a touch of sole shaving to get enough toe clearance with the Marker frame touring bindings (Duke?).

With the Wardens, I had enough adjustability in the toe height to induce slop when my Mango Maestrales had a new sole.

I don't know how much this helps with respect to the Mercury's rocker, but I'm thinking that the Wardens accommodate slightly more sole rocker than the Marker family.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

The Lord has enough adjustment for WTR type soles (some rockered soles might need some grinding). The Warden appears to have a more stout adjustment mechanism, and more range.

Also, stepping into Marker dildo heels can be difficult with rubber sole boots (dildo wants to rotate closed before the heel lug is fully seated).

Anyone compare the difference between the Sth16 (not STH2) and Warden heel pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Anyone compare the difference between the Sth16 (not STH2) and Warden heel pattern?
    different enough to remount without screw overlap.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    Still got them? I'll take them if the brakes are 115?

Does anyone know if having a dynafit beast heel spur on an at boot would cause step-in problems with a warden binding?

I keep 'stepping out' of my wardens/having them sucked off my feet under slow speeds in deep powder, seems like the upward pressure on the toe during rebound pops them off?
    More forward pressure? Din is at 7 + it's slow speed stuff so I don't think the din is to low. Hasn't happened at speed.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Does anyone know if having a dynafit beast heel spur on an at boot would cause step-in problems with a warden binding?
    Works fine for me. Salomon Mtn Labs. You might have to grind down the beast insert though. I had to on the mtns.

So just to clarify, STH (not not STH2) heels have a different mounting pattern?

Yes STH heels are different mounts than the Warden. Warden=sth2.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I keep 'stepping out' of my wardens/having them sucked off my feet under slow speeds in deep powder, seems like the upward pressure on the toe during rebound pops them off?
    More forward pressure? Din is at 7 + it's slow speed stuff so I don't think the din is to low. Hasn't happened at speed.
    1) make sure your boots are cleat on the bottom before stepping in.
    2). I was having prerelease problem set around 7.5-8. Simply skiing beyond the DIN. Bumped to 10 & problem solved. Only happened when I stuck a tip in a pile of soft stuff.
    3). After your boots worn?

Wardens? Looking to buy wardens please

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    Long time ago now, but these aren't still available, are they?

Bought a set of Atomic Warden 11s for my daughter, went to mount them and found STH2/Warden templates on this thread as well as the "Binding Mount Paper Templates" one. Checked both templates against the actual binding and the toe is dead-on, but the heel is off - the spacing is 80x30mm rather than 75x32mm on the template. Not a big deal (particularly given how adjustable the heel is on these) but I'm happy I caught it before drilling. Not sure if this is because of the 11 vs 13 or a recent binding change but figured I'd warn people to check before drilling (always a good idea in any case).

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Bought a set of Atomic Warden 11s for my daughter, went to mount them and found STH2/Warden templates on this thread as well as the "Binding Mount Paper Templates" one. Checked both templates against the actual binding and the toe is dead-on, but the heel is off - the spacing is 80x30mm rather than 75x32mm on the template. Not a big deal (particularly given how adjustable the heel is on these) but I'm happy I caught it before drilling. Not sure if this is because of the 11 vs 13 or a recent binding change but figured I'd warn people to check before drilling (always a good idea in any case).
    Shroom and I made this same discovery a month or two ago. We figured this out after we drilled. But he was able to swap the 11s for a set of 13s pretty easily, so NBD in the end.

But yeah, in their infinite wisdom, Amer sports decided that the warden 11 and 13 needed different heel mount patterns.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    But yeah, in their infinite wisdom, Amer sports decided that the warden 11 and 13 needed different heel mount patterns.
    The complete heels are different, the 11 is a different binding than the 13.

More on the Warden 11 - from a 2x4 test mount, lining up the front screws at the same position behind the midboot line as the front screws in the Warden 13 template seemed to result in correct forward pressure with the heel at the white mark (obviously the screws are closer together, I used the heel plate as a template). I wound up mounting the plate 15mm back due to hole conflicts and then set the heel further forward on the plate, this worked out great.

I'm a binding idiot. Is the 80mm referenced above width? Just scored a pair of Hart F7 at 66 underfoot. In my mind my old pair of warden 13s is gonna be too wide. Correct?
    Any recommendations for a clamp for those besides pivot? I love my wardens (3 pair) cause I ride both roxa grip walk and Seths.

80 (or 75 on the 13) is fore/aft for the plate, 30 or 32 is the width.

This reminds me I have a 13 pair still in the box I should sell, anyone want to by some?