Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    i can't get Cate Blanchett out of my head, is she the best actress of her generation?
    yeah, she is.
    She's been high on my list after I saw her play Bob Dylan (the speed freak, Warholian, Highway 61 Dylan) in I'm Not There.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    She's been high on my list after I saw her play Bob Dylan (the speed freak, Warholian, Highway 61 Dylan) in I'm Not There.
    i loved that movie.
    i need to re-watch it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Woody Allen lives in my aunts apartment building, I've seen him a handful of times.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    Woody Allen lives in my aunts apartment building, I've seen him a handful of times.
    Meh.....

The father of a kid I was at high school with sold Woody a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost with a boat tail body that he'd restored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

it's easily the darkest movie, he's ever done, it's timeless.
    I take it you haven't seen "Interiors"?

Love Woody. "Hanna and her Sisters" is in my top 5 fave films. Can watch it over and over again. Top notch all the way around.

"interiors" is just plain depressing, so yeah, it is darker.
    Blue Jasmine is both hilarious and, sad as hell.
    crab in my shoe mouth

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    they have been married since '97, what's yer record?...
    My record, regarding inappropriate sexual relations with minors in my family and minors in general, is spotless.

We can agree to disagree on this. I don't believe "genius",creative or otherwise, gives one a free pass.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    My record, regarding inappropriate sexual relations with minors in my family and minors in general, is spotless.

We can agree to disagree on this. I don't believe "genius",creative or otherwise, gives one a free pass.
    I really don't follow this thought with regard to a film. Do you measure every piece of art and literature based on a personal moral standard? For example, does this image offend you?

Last edited by 4matic; 01-23-2014 at 08:35 PM.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    I'm not familiar with the piece or the artist. On first glance, no, it does not offend me.

I'm offended by what WA did in his home life. Maybe as a NYer I got more of the details of the situation than went national. I won't watch his movies anymore but to each his own. Haven't bought a Michael Jackson album since he tried to justify slumber parties with random boys either.

Since I'm not interested in thrunting this further, I'll end with this. You guys have every right to like and support him, however I won't. His actions have put me firmly in the 'not a fan' camp. I'm not up to date on anything he did past about 1990 because my money won't consciously go to a pederast. The "he is a genius" so we should overlook the shady actions doesn't work for me. Wouldn't give that pass to a priest or a teacher or Paterno etc...
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Guess you hate salinger and welles too. Oh well.

interesting, the Vanity Fair article.
    In France, where WA is huge, really, this side of him is completely unknown. We knew he married Mia Farrow adopted daughter, (and didn't make a big deal about it). But child molestation ? Never heard of it. Creepy indeed. Of course we have a high tolerance for inappropriate behavior from artists. But pedophilia is definitely over the line...
    Now, Blue Jasmine is his better work since an looong time, and a pretty good film. But haunting is a stretch, IMO.
    I don't think he ever did a really great movie, actually.
    Good ones, very good ones, yes. But great, original, work of art, no.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

On my list of "I don't know how people can stomach this director because they blow dogs".... Woody Allen is number one on the list. Seriously, as a film maker, he blows.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

okay, so far i have, advers, bklyn and spook in the 'he blows' camp.
    yep!
    crab in my shoe mouth

No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

spook Guest
    pedophile or no, i can't stand him

MY intern tripped down to LA to visit a girl he knows who is an au pair for Woody Allen.
    First thing I said was "Does she baby sit Woody's and his daughter wife's kids?"
    He said yeah, but the wife is in like her 50's now.
    These French kids weren't too put off about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I really don't follow this thought with regard to a film. Do you measure every piece of art and literature based on a personal moral standard? For example, does this image offend you?

It's tough to ignore context in interpreting art or judging an artist. In an age where we have, more or less, expectations of universal human rights, you have to include the artist's own behavior towards others as part of your judgment.

The painting you put up is by Balthus. Here's another example of his work, The Guitar Lesson:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guitarlesson.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	149736

Guitar lesson? A metaphor for playing the guitar is stroking an adolescent girl's pussy?

Balthus was fucked up.

Just to give you a better idea about WA, here's an open letter to the NYT by his daughter Dylan:

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...pe=blogs&_r=1&

spook Guest
    looks like woody gets to go down like paterno

Not only wasn't he convicted, it never made it to trial due to lack of evidence and conflicting stories of eyewitnesses. I base my judgment on indisputable facts. However, the end result is a very damaged girl (now, woman), and a family torn apart. Very sad.

spook Guest
    plus he's woody fucking allen

thanks for posting that, BP.
    sobering stuff, fucking witch-hunt, by the PC soccer mom's, who never 'got' his movies.
    what a shame.

so, Blue Jasmine?
    fucking Dice, he killed it, and i hate his 'standup'.
    yep, Woody Allen, is fucking great.
    Last edited by buttahflake; 02-09-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I casually thought of him as being probably guilty due to the fact that he married their adoptive daughter . After reading BP's link and reading a bit more I don't think it is true. The doctors and Dylan both said she was not molested the first time then the story changed. Also there was a bitter divorce going on at the time so I highly doubt he would do it at that time. Also ( I might be wrong about this) don't pedophiles usually have lots of victims or multiple instances with one victim? Why wouldn't she confront him directly now that she is a grown woman versus a slandering article in Vanity Fair? Sounds fishy to me.
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 02-10-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

congratulations to Cate Blanchett, she killed it!
    crab in my shoe mouth

These are 2 seriously fucked in the head people, Mia and Woody. Woody Allen is the father of Ronan? Never really paid much attention to the Allen/Farrow drama but this is by far the dumbest public denial of paternity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ronanfather.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	153402
    Silent....but shredly.