Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Solution seems obvious: splitboard.
    a better solution is if all Snowboarders in Utah boycott any resort that allows Skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    The world is a dumber place for this lawsuit. I know the attorney who filed it. I (used to) think he is fairly sharp. But unless he just filed this as a publicity stunt, or in hopes that Alta will allow boarders to avoid the legal fees, he seems pretty dim.

First, he may have filed this just to strong arm Alta (in which case, I think it's pretty unethical, since the lawsuit appears to lack a good faith basis). The suit states Alta pays about $300k-400k/year for its federal lease. Getting through summary judgment (where this suit should be disposed of) will cost Alta at least $100k. That's not an insignificant expense for Alta. If my pass prices go up as a result, I will be pissed.
    Doesn't Alta keep an Attorney (Allen Orr) on retainer?

I always thought that Parr Brown Gee and Loveless was a pretty reputable firm.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Happens all the time here
    we just yell at them before they get to the high t, seems to be the best education yet.
    b

Abraham Linclon's doppleganger threw a boarder off the high t
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    But a business can refuse service to anyone unless they are a protected class, no? When bartending I can refuse to serve drinks to anyone because I think they shouldn't drink, but I cannot refuse service to someone for being black. You cannot ride up the lifts with a Toboggan or MT. Bike in the winter either, so wouldn't the snowboarders in this case need to demonstrate that they are a protected class and thus cannot be "discriminated" against?
    Snowboarders are not protected, but equal in skills riding their mechanical lifts compared to a skier/tele.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Whens the last time you've seen a skier sidesliding 4 skiers worth of pow all day? At Alyeska the high traverse run just gets raped by snowboarders doing shitty traverses all over the place, so instead of having one traverse with a bunch of tracks down from it there are about half a billion traverses, from lazy snowboarders. I imagine Alta would be similar. It has nothing to do with turn shape/size and everything to do with how traverses are treated. Basically shitty snowboarders ruin way more snow than shitty skiers.

good to see you bitter again

The world is a dumber place for this lawsuit. I know the attorney who filed it. I (used to) think he is fairly sharp. But unless he just filed this as a publicity stunt, or in hopes that Alta will allow boarders to avoid the legal fees, he seems pretty dim.
    Uh, He may be getting paid by the plaintiff and may have bills to pay, for a season pass at Snowbird….

I will say this. Lots of areas at alta , as mentioned, require uphill or long traverses. There are still many areas a snowboard simply could not access without serious postholing. Gunsight? No go. Thirds? No go. Catherine's? Sure even skiers boot that but once top is reached we push and sidestep to access the terrain. What about baldy shoulder? The place would be a posthole slow moving mess with snowboards allowed.

Take a gander at the high t this year. Not one clean line through the entire section past sunspot. Alta would have hundreds of boarders walking across that. Snowboarers would literally have to walk from sunspot to piss pass. Probably take them a good 15 min to make that walk. Skiers passing them the entire time. Wouldn't be a fun walk to board what's already been skied by people who can actually access the terrain in a more natural manner.

I don't know whether alta does it to be "cool" or whatever I just don't think alta would be all the enjoyable on a board its just not set up for it. The bird on the other hand is. The only place I can think of that a boarder can't access is anything past Hilary step.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Whens the last time you've seen a skier sidesliding 4 skiers worth of pow all day? At Alyeska the high traverse run just gets raped by snowboarders doing shitty traverses all over the place, so instead of having one traverse with a bunch of tracks down from it there are about half a billion traverses, from lazy snowboarders. I imagine Alta would be similar. It has nothing to do with turn shape/size and everything to do with how traverses are treated. Basically shitty snowboarders ruin way more snow than shitty skiers.
    ^^^ THIS.

And charging through the narrow trees or approaching the top of a chute, it's always nice to see that a side-slipping boarder got there first and "groomed" the powder for you. It's lame. Pre-snowboarding you never used to see this. If a skier is/was up in challenging terrain of this type they will at least try to make a few turns, preserving the pow. Maybe not out of conscientious demeanor, but because it's just easier to turn skis in pow than slip 'em. The board must be easier to slip, resulting in the overall and consistent trashing and thrashing of some great lines.

Boarders are here to stay, so I don't have any problem nor heartburn sharing the home hill with them. Ain't got time for the Stay Off My Lawn! mentality. On the flip side, if an area is boardless I can see why it would want to remain so.

Not to mention I don't really think its the terrain on forest service land that's the problem. Alta lifts is the entity that operates the lifts. Not governed in any way by forest service. Like any business they have the right to refuse services to whomever the fuck they wish.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.KnowItAll View Post
    Snowboarders are not protected, but equal in skills riding their mechanical lifts compared to a skier/tele.
    Ever watch boarders dismount a chair that doesn't have a perfectly flat runout? It's highly entertaining until the bodies pile up and they stop the chair to remove the carnage. Fixed grips are particularly hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    good to see you bitter again
    Maybe there was another restraining order
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    a better solution is if all Snowboarders in Utah boycott any resort that allows Skiing.
    I sure wish snowboarders in Washington would do this, if for no other reason then to have less people in general

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Abraham Linclon's doppleganger threw a boarder off the high t
    i was with him and squirrel(rip) for the action, the boarder had a choice and chose the wrong door
    b

Who the hell designed the top of the lift placement for that place, anyway? ;-)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Alta can go F themselves if they continue to be such lame dickheads. But, as a privately operated resort (although upon federal land, I believe) they have the right to refuse types of equipment. They obviously don't allow patrons to bring snowmobiles on the hill. That equipment refusal right can be extended to snowboards too, I presume.

The management at Alta has the the right to be the ingloriously panty-twisted, drycunts they obviously love to be. Let 'em.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Can't wait for the throng of snowboarders postholing just far enough up the devil castle traverse, then but on their boards and side traversing the entire slope. Boarders would fuck alta up like nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    The management at Alta has the the right to be the ingloriously panty-twisted, drycunts they obviously love to be. Let 'em.
    watch this video and see if it makes you really angry.
    its priceless the way it provokes
    "how would a snowboarder get up here" is my favorite

riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

It's funny to see how many skier bigots really frequent this forum when an Alta thread comes around (It's my guess that most hardcore Alta defenders are racist too). Listening to you douchebags rant about post holing and bad traversing is entertaining in a sad way. You're all just covering up your latent racist, white, elitist attitudes. I mean, that's why you live in the shit hole that is SLC, right?

Don't sell yourself short...Reno is a shithole, too!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If Alta can't ban boarders, why can it ban snowmobiles? [...]
    maybe because they are motorized vehicles?

Second, Utah is a little sensitive on equal protection right now.
    You mean like where the general population gets pissed at how many bigots somehow found their way into positions of power? Like, say, their governor?

Personally, I think the homos should...
    That's admirable. Maybe your respect of gays and their rights can someday lead you to stop using derogatory labels?

^^awesome

We need to expose the skiers in here who in the early nineties gave up and went to the dark side.

You guys can't hide forever.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    ^^^ THIS.

And charging through the narrow trees or approaching the top of a chute, it's always nice to see that a side-slipping boarder got there first and "groomed" the powder for you. It's lame. Pre-snowboarding you never used to see this. If a skier is/was up in challenging terrain of this type they will at least try to make a few turns, preserving the pow. Maybe not out of conscientious demeanor, but because it's just easier to turn skis in pow than slip 'em. The board must be easier to slip, resulting in the overall and consistent trashing and thrashing of some great lines.

Boarders are here to stay, so I don't have any problem nor heartburn sharing the home hill with them. Ain't got time for the Stay Off My Lawn! mentality. On the flip side, if an area is boardless I can see why it would want to remain so.
    Park City must have more shitty boarders than Snowbird. I've watched tons of skiers sideslip/sidestep above and through the choke in Rock Chute this year. Most of the snowboarders who get there are good enough to straightline through and then make a couple turns in the apron. The retarded fucking Coolwhip traverse that undercuts the whole cirque pointlessly-90% of the time it's skiers setting it and using it. The traverse across the top of Anderson's-way more skiers blocking that than snowboarders. With that said, if Alta really does have a bunch of uphill traverses, it would suck on a board. I never go out Bookends Traverse, cuz its a bitch. I care less that Alta is skiers only, but there's way too much blame being placed on them than is warranted

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Listening to you douchebags rant about post holing and bad traversing is entertaining in a sad way. You're all just covering up your latent racist, white, elitist attitudes. I mean, that's why you live in the shit hole that is SLC, right?
    you hearing voices cause I read you man and its entertaining in a sad way
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure