Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    SLC hospitals bracing for an outbreak of Scooch Leg.
    I laughed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mens_Moose_Knuckles_2012_Lookbook_1.jpeg 
Views:	375 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	148609

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    why anyone would spend money to ride lifts in a range with bc access so easy and plentiful has always been beyond me.

rog
    well theres the safety factor. I'm glad big john and the kids from texas didnt hike straight up superior and trigger a slide on the guys beneath him. anyways thanks for the threadjack rawj.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Its funny because snowboarding is actually permitted at alta. snowboards are simply not allowed on the lifts, which are operated by a private company that can refuse service to anyone.

Makin waves....
    I'm not sure this is true. Didn't a bunch of borders get cited last year at the closing day party? Has something to do with alta providing safety etc. for those on the leased land.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    well theres the safety factor. I'm glad big john and the kids from texas didnt hike straight up superior and trigger a slide on the guys beneath him. anyways thanks for the threadjack rawj.
    Knew you'd respond, little bitch

Rog

I'm posting to secure my space in this very important discussion.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    I'm posting to secure my space in this very important discussion.
    Me too...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

#33...........

Where is this Alta you speak of, and does their shop mount snowboards, and if so, where?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Are they really trying to make a "Protected Class" argument?
    That issue will relate to the level of scrutiny or review required as opposed to whether a group is entitled to equal treatment
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    That issue will relate to the level of scrutiny or review required as opposed to whether a group is entitled to equal treatment
    But a business can refuse service to anyone unless they are a protected class, no? When bartending I can refuse to serve drinks to anyone because I think they shouldn't drink, but I cannot refuse service to someone for being black. You cannot ride up the lifts with a Toboggan or MT. Bike in the winter either, so wouldn't the snowboarders in this case need to demonstrate that they are a protected class and thus cannot be "discriminated" against?

I don't care what happens at Alta.
    but clearly one good solution would be to ban skiers at the Bird!
    Win-win!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Tippster's got it exactly right. Snowboarders aren't a protected class but if Alta refused service to only black snowboarders, there would be a case.

I'm going to get three buddies together and sue WSDOT for not allowing us to ride our bikes on I-5 through downtown Seattle. About as much of a chance of winning that as these guys have with their little bitch session.

^^^This is a good idea.

I think I'm going to sue the state of California for not allowing me to ride my mountain bike off paved roads in state parks. Hikers can go there - totally discriminatory.

Contrary to popular belief, snowboarders access the public land at Alta all the time. They access it before Alta opens in the fall and after Alta closes in the spring. They access it via the gates from Snowbird all the time. They access it from the top of Patsy Marley. So to say that the USFS allows Alta to prohibit snowboarder on public land is a bit disingenuous.

What Alta prohibits is the riding of the lifts, which ARE privately owned. This is no different than a fine dining restaurant denying access based on dress code. Show up with out a jacket and a tie, and sorry no service. Put on said jacket and tie and come right in please. This case is going nowhere.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

SO what do you call a snowboarder that got dumped by his girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    SO what do you call a snowboarder that got dumped by his girlfriend?
    Homeless.

Alta lifts not allowing snowboards is douchy behavior. I would love to see the forest service not renew Alta lifts' lease because of them being douches and choose to lease the land to a group less douchy or no one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, snowboarders access the public land at Alta all the time. They access it before Alta opens in the fall and after Alta closes in the spring. They access it via the gates from Snowbird all the time. They access it from the top of Patsy Marley. So to say that the USFS allows Alta to prohibit snowboarder on public land is a bit disingenuous.

What Alta prohibits is the riding of the lifts, which ARE privately owned. This is no different than a fine dining restaurant denying access based on dress code. Show up with out a jacket and a tie, and sorry no service. Put on said jacket and tie and come right in please. This case is going nowhere.
    Well stated.........could I wear and tie and a coat with no collared shirt??? just kidding.

Very close friend rides his board all the time at alta...he just doesn't use the lifts........
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    Alta lifts not allowing snowboards is douchy behavior. I would love to see the forest service not renew Alta lifts' lease because of them being douches and choose to lease the land to a group less douchy or no one at all.
    Do you think for a moment that the USFS is not aware of this...for decades...?
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Seems like a strange business decision to exclude paying customers. Id love to know the logic behind the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Seems like a strange business decision to exclude paying customers. Id love to know the logic behind the policy.
    Because the High T is bad enough w/o snowboarders postholing the shit out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    But a business can refuse service to anyone unless they are a protected class, no? When bartending I can refuse to serve drinks to anyone because I think they shouldn't drink, but I cannot refuse service to someone for being black. You cannot ride up the lifts with a Toboggan or MT. Bike in the winter either, so wouldn't the snowboarders in this case need to demonstrate that they are a protected class and thus cannot be "discriminated" against?

The complicating issue is that it is a business run on and by license of the Feds. Not sure how that will work out. The equal protection clause claim only addresses government action; depending on the nature of the group being subjected to disparate treatment, for ex., a racial group as opposed to a bunch of mouth breathing, unwashed knuckle draggers, the justification for the disparate treatment by the government will be examined on a different basis. If the group is a "protected class", the standard is going to be very high, if not impossible. If not, then the government would only need to show a rational basis for the disparate treatment.

An individual business, non government related, refusing to do business with someone, even on the basis of their race, is not an equal protection issue under federal law. It may be addressed under other federal laws or state laws.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Because the High T is bad enough w/o snowboarders postholing the shit out of it?
    Happens all the time here
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Here's an interesting idea, that I had not thought of, if deciding for the plaintiffs violates Alta’s lease terms, does that create a takings case for Alta against the government?

Food for thought....