Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    hah - that's awesome and true.

I don't dare try the Fritschis. Still in awe of how many people in this thread are asking about that binding when on here and on Wildsnow so many people have reported problems. Truly backcountry skiers are the lemming sheeps of the ski world.

So maybe the Fritschis and Ions are the hardtails with Mag 21s?
    problems with ions? or just first suspension comparison? edit;i guess that would be rs1

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    problems with ions? or just first suspension comparison? edit;i guess that would be rs1
    The Ions are fine --- so far. But I am meadow-skipping them or going inbounds. I've heard and seen too much bullshit from companies about their extensive product-testing.

Only a huge sucker would take a first generation b/c binding on a week long hut trip or gallivant cross the ocean to the Alps without a backup pair of other bindings.

NEVER EVER TRUST A FIRST GENERATION TOURING BINDING YOU MORONS.

10-4 .prob just put my ft12's on my new sticks. they work fine, just nice to have a little forward pressure elasticity for occasionally on hill duty. not a big deal for touring

Truth - lol.... I learned that with vipecs the hard way. Who wants a binding you need like half a day to swap on a diff set of skis
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I don't dare try the Fritschis. Still in awe of how many people in this thread are asking about that binding when on here and on Wildsnow so many people have reported problems. Truly backcountry skiers are the lemming sheeps of the ski world.

So maybe the Fritschis and Ions are the hardtails with Mag 21s?
    Watching Brittany use them and taking a few runs on them myself, I'd put them past Mag 21 status. At least Judy...

How many people are having problems? A handful of pins that pulled out before the Loctite advisory, but generally there hasn't been a huge number of "I broke these". At least that I've seen. I'll be getting some soon, can't get rid of my Dynafits soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Watching Brittany use them and taking a few runs on them myself, I'd put them past Mag 21 status. At least Judy...

How many people are having problems? A handful of pins that pulled out before the Loctite advisory, but generally there hasn't been a huge number of "I broke these". At least that I've seen. I'll be getting some soon, can't get rid of my Dynafits soon enough.
    Fair enough. My view is coloured by knowledge that 3 of 4 Swiss skiers I know who took the chance of being early adopters have had problems- including pin problems. At least they're not Crank Bros

Looks like the general concensus here confirms my experience. Getting in to the Vipec is different than Dynafit, but not excessively so. Dynafiddle or Fritschi-fiddle, either require a bit of technique to get in. Vipec requires a different technique to get out, although you can also slam you ski sideways and force a release, something Dynafit can not do.

There is a potential icing issue you should be aware of. More details at earnyourturns.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Disagree. Dynafits transmit more vibration to MY feet than any other binding I have been on (the sort of harshness you get on hard refrozen snow). Yes, the ski is a factor but so is the binding.
    My Comforts have been on 3 different skis. Most teeth&kidney rattling? Volkl T-Rock, no metal! Smoothest? Fischer Watea 94, carbon stringers. Dynafits cause my feet to get buzzy and neo-crampy when the snow is rattley as compared to frame bindings, but torsionally they're so much better than frames and stride/weight wise no contest, so it doesn't bother me.

Any insight in to:

"For alpine touring boots with the front “pintech” inserts behind the normal position like Scarpa Alien, Dynafit TLT 6, etc. we recommend installing the “Color Clip High” as an interim solution in order to assure a proper frontal release.
    As consequence the toe of such boots hits the “Color Clip High” in a different angle in the position “walk”. In climbing mode it might happen that in an extreme position (knee close to the ski), the “Easy Switch Toe” is pressed down by the boot from “walk” to “ski” mode and may open the binding. For the next season we will offer a definitive solution with an adapted Color Clip for these boots."

Anyone try them with spectre? They are quite rockered.

" Light weight alpine touring boots with an extreme rocker are only compatible if the sole does not touch the front unit of the binding when the boot is stepped in."

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Any insight in to:

"For alpine touring boots with the front “pintech” inserts behind the normal position like Scarpa Alien, Dynafit TLT 6, etc. we recommend installing the “Color Clip High” as an interim solution in order to assure a proper frontal release.
    As consequence the toe of such boots hits the “Color Clip High” in a different angle in the position “walk”. In climbing mode it might happen that in an extreme position (knee close to the ski), the “Easy Switch Toe” is pressed down by the boot from “walk” to “ski” mode and may open the binding. For the next season we will offer a definitive solution with an adapted Color Clip for these boots."
    I had this problem with Cochise Pro's...basically the toebox was hitting the clip at an angle that levered it into ski mode instead of just pressing on it. Simple solution was to slightly sand down the clip. Really easy to fix. Bizarrely, it was only an issue with one binding, the other one works fine as is.

yeah, for me it was very hard to get into one of the two bindings, since the toe piece would not open as wide as the other one. fritschie told me "thats because it has been used so much" ??

and this

i had a set of "test" fritschi vipecs which were supposed to not have the "pin-falls-off" problem anymore. well, on the second day i used them, a pin came off while climbing. i noticed and was able to tighten it, but it kept getting lose. still on the second day, after about three turns from the summit, the heel piece broke.
    before that, the binding worked very well for skiing, not so much for climbing. the toe cant really be locked, so it comes off once in a while (especially while traversing on hard snow).
    fritschi, try again.

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    yeah, for me it was very hard to get into one of the two bindings, since the toe piece would not open as wide as the other one. fritschie told me "thats because it has been used so much" ??

and this

i had a set of "test" fritschi vipecs which were supposed to not have the "pin-falls-off" problem anymore. well, on the second day i used them, a pin came off while climbing. i noticed and was able to tighten it, but it kept getting lose. still on the second day, after about three turns from the summit, the heel piece broke.
    before that, the binding worked very well for skiing, not so much for climbing. the toe cant really be locked, so it comes off once in a while (especially while traversing on hard snow).
    fritschi, try again.

freak~[&]
    I like how no one ever has pictures of shit like this. I used mine on two 30+ mile trips and several afternoon tours this year with no issues. And I am a heavy bastard.

Why should we believe you ... any pictures?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Why should we believe you ... any pictures?
    Do you want pictures of the unbroken bindings, or time lapse video of the 4 day trip with frequent looking of the camera at the bindings?

Only if you can show the toe pieces good side.

Smashed into the floor with a sledge.

Should only take a couple half swings from a large baby -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Without pictures did it really happen, how I can i be sure you really are a heavy bastard ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I like how no one ever has pictures of shit like this. I used mine on two 30+ mile trips and several afternoon tours this year with no issues. And I am a heavy bastard.
    yes, freak doesn't ski, clearly you are superior.

another day, another festival of bullshit. maybe dunfee can create a "real tech talk forum".

Eh one picture of the pin failure is enough for people to confirm they've had similar. Haven't paid much attention to this binding but I think I've seen one or two pictures if the problem. Of the recent ones I think the tracker/guardian and the plums both had failures enough to be an issue.

well, i usually dont take pictures of my gear. i might even have one with the missing pin though... but then, why would people make this up? im fairly light by the way, and dont ski hard. and the vipes basically failed for everyone i know...
    You mentioned breaking the heel piece though. How did that happen?

the things (are they called threads?) in the base-plate of the heel-piece which are needed to adjust the forward pressure were the reason. they did not really come off, but they all got "flattened out" (pieces were missing), so the heel pieces just slid around on the baseplate. does that make sense? sorry for not knowing the right words.

it just happened after 3 or 4 turns on the second day. i was skiing a fairly steep north face but in very good snow, so i do not think there was much force on the binding. i skied with a very heavy backback on hard snow the day before and everything was fine there...

freak~[&]

Hugh Conway Guest
    are you actually still skiing? you wouldnt believe how crowded everything got over here...
    freak~[&]
    Not in the continental jet-setter way anymore, no. Many of the places I liked are crowded, or bulldozed now. That's "progress".

I still maintain that if you moved Stubai to the Lower 48 it'd be a "must ski destination" and there'd be hundreds of people here jizzing over it.

Add my name to the list of experimenters. I snagged a pair off of geartrade.com for $312 after the activejunk.com 2% rebate and free shipping. The binders were backcountry.com returns. Geartrade.com is where they dump pretty much all returns from what I gather.

Is it snowing yet?

I'm now in for experimenting as well. Grabbed the last pair from bc.com at 35% off. Couldn't resist.

Yea, I was looking at those. I decided I'll but from mec at full price. These are one of those things I want "no questions" warranty.

anyone know the range of adjustment for BSL on this binding?