Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fritschi Vipec review thread

I just ordered some Vipecs to put on some Voile Vector BCs. I will try and review them in the next few weeks.

Anybody else out there pull the trigger on them yet?

Note: As I have Dynafit boots, I didn't touch the adjustable toe pin. It seems everyone who has had them strip out has adjusted them.
    I am 25, 170 lbs naked, and skiing is my job. I will mostly be using this setup for ski mountaineering in the spring/summer.

First review: first day on snow
    Terrain: bear canyon defunct ski hill.
    Conditions: terrible/mixed.

The skin up the road was low angle to moderate angle hard packed snow/ice with a fresh falling of about an inch of slick pow. The skinless pattern on the Vector BCs worked fine, as I wasn't going up anything terribly steep. The road maybe tops out at 20 degrees? Maybe a tad steeper.

The bindings had no issues, swapping between heel elevators was easy. The binding was a tad tricky to step into initially, but whatever, its not a deal breaker for me. Switching to downhill mode was fine. Skiing in them was fine too. Couldn't detect any slop, and given the shit snow, felt like I had a solid boot to ski connection.

Feb 1, 2014: knee deep blower - Bradleys meadow and the ramp at Bridger

First of all, the Vector BCs definitely have more problems with pow on the way up. Firmer snow seems to climb much better with them, somewhere between 20-25 degrees I gave up and grabbed my skins. You have to be a little more deliberate and delicate with your weight on them when its steeper, and in new snow it gets difficult.

The bindings were fine. No clogging, release issues or loose pins, I was skiing them pretty hard this week. 4 full days on them so far.
    Last edited by Climber Joe; 02-02-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Couple weeks away from same set up - gonna be my fast grass golf course rig

If you mount yourself let me know how it goes -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Using the g3 onyx and looking at the operation of the beast / vipec / speed superlight has convinced me that I want tech bindings that work longitudinally along the spine of ski - no more twisting for me.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Yes I will be mounting myself. Since the BC conditions are absolute shit in Montana right now it will probably be resort skiing, but I will still give them a few tour/ski laps. Hoping the skis are long enough. I wish they came in a 185ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I just ordered some Vipecs to put on some Voile Vector BCs. I will try and review them in the next few weeks.

Anybody else out there pull the trigger on them yet?
    What boots are you using, I know some low angle turns close to town.

Sent from my ADR6300 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WAlove View Post
    What boots are you using, I know some low angle turns close to town.

Sent from my ADR6300 using TGR Forums
    Dynafit Zzeus. Close to town meaning close to Bozeman?

Is anyone actually skiing these? Another thread/posts about I "saw" "touched" "ordered" "might order" "post padding". Winter will be over by the time anyone gets some mounted and on snow.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I have mine and will have them mounted shortly. The problem is that our snowpack consists of 30" of facets and crusts, so I haven't been really motivated to tour.

subscribed
    watch out for snakes

Mine are coming in the mail tomorrow. I will probably get them mounted Saturday and be able to ski them Sunday, if not sometime this week.

And since I am putting them on the Vector BC there will be a review of those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    winter will be over by the time anyone gets some mounted and on snow.
    Wrong...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

Have them mounted and delivered - maiden trip on them in 8 days when we can get to the mountains. Mounted on Nanutaq 186s

Got the skis and clamps in the mail today. I should be able to get them mounted tomorrow, then tour them on Sunday. I will update then.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Dynafit Zzeus. Close to town meaning close to Bozeman?
    CJ - if you are gonna use these for meadow skipping, try a tlt5 w/o tongues or booster straps - just a two second hand sweep to transition the boots btwn modes. Post up some vector/vipec stoke!

Not really surprised they didn't come with a template, but does anyone know if there is one available? I don't want to spend $50 at the shop tomorrow, and I definitely don't want to freehand them.

Practice on a 2x4, use binding as your template. Pretty lame there is not a paper template with the binders.

PM sfotex, think I read in the other thread he has some mounted already?
    watch out for snakes

email BD.

Someone posted in the other thread the email address.

Just fondled some the other day. Damn light....

got to ski on a pair two days ago. i wasn't impressed at all. toe piece is a pain in the ass to get in to (coming from my dynafits). you step down onto that metal tab and at least for me 50% or more the pins didn't line up.

not sold on the heel being on the track either. didn't crash so no release test.
    in short, i'll stick with my dynafits.

Just fondled some the other day. Damn light....
    Heavier than Dynafits and Plums.
    Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCentralShralper View Post
    Heavier than Dynafits and Plums.
    Just sayin
    No it isn't... its a 12 din binding with brakes.

Radical FT 12 - 1198 grams per pair
    Vipec 12 - 1090 grams per pair
    Plum yak 12 with brakes - 1200 grams per pair

Any questions? Also, unlike the plum and radical it has toe release and elastic travel. We will see what durability is like, but by the numbers its solid.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Practice on a 2x4, use binding as your template. Pretty lame there is not a paper template with the binders.

PM sfotex, think I read in the other thread he has some mounted already?
    I will PM him, definitely want a template with a tech binding though.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    email BD.

Someone posted in the other thread the email address.
    Where is the other thread?

Does anyone know a weight w/o brakes? They can be removed easier than the radicals?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Does anyone know a weight w/o brakes? They can be removed easier than the radicals?
    I dont' have the weights, but they can be removed and swapped in much the same way as a FFR.

To anyone mounting these yourself, do realize that there are quite a few more things to keep in mind than when mounting a dynafit rig. The pin depth needs to be set and the proper plastic insert placed in the toe lever (among other things).