Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    In response to Hugh,

Yeah, I don't tour all that much.

But I did just finish a week long AT trip in the Selkirks at the Sorcerer Lodge. Again, Vipecs on 186 Nunataqs, used the TLT6 throughout. We skinned 4500-6000 vert per day for 6 days.

The fiddle factor of getting into the toe is compounded when using boots with a rockered toe like the TLT6. My wife used the Vipecs with Black Diamond Shivas (flat toe) and had less trouble clicking in.

Vipecs are awesome on the up. As noted by someone else, my TLT6s require the color clip high to release properly at the toe from a forward fall. Color clip high also means it kicks out of walk mode after a few strides almost every time. Even in ski mode, however, I never prereleased when moving uphill. Risers are changed easily with BD pole baskets. For those that care, changing to ski mode without taking the ski off is also a snap.

I crashed twice during the trip. First was a 15-20 ft cornice drop to soft snow. With my release values set at 8 for heel and toe, I double ejected despite a pretty square landing. After the run I turned up the release values to 10 and 10. I hooked a ski in breakable crust the next day and appropriately got a lateral release out of the toe.

In short: tours uphill awesome, fiddly toe entry especially with rockered boots, easy riser and mode changes, zero prereleases and two appropriate releases while skiing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I feel like the ski has much more to do with that than the binding. Sidewall construction, rubber dampening, and things like metal laminates and hybrid wood cores are what really counts for a smoother ride.
    Disagree. Dynafits transmit more vibration to MY feet than any other binding I have been on (the sort of harshness you get on hard refrozen snow). Yes, the ski is a factor but so is the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Disagree. Dynafits transmit more vibration to MY feet than any other binding I have been on (the sort of harshness you get on hard refrozen snow). Yes, the ski is a factor but so is the binding.
    Exactly. Dynafits are the fully rigid bike of the binding world.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Exactly. Dynafits are the fully rigid bike of the binding world.
    hah - that's awesome and true.

I don't dare try the Fritschis. Still in awe of how many people in this thread are asking about that binding when on here and on Wildsnow so many people have reported problems. Truly backcountry skiers are the lemming sheeps of the ski world.

So maybe the Fritschis and Ions are the hardtails with Mag 21s?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    hah - that's awesome and true.

I don't dare try the Fritschis. Still in awe of how many people in this thread are asking about that binding when on here and on Wildsnow so many people have reported problems. Truly backcountry skiers are the lemming sheeps of the ski world.

problems with ions? or just first suspension comparison? edit;i guess that would be rs1

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    problems with ions? or just first suspension comparison? edit;i guess that would be rs1
    The Ions are fine --- so far. But I am meadow-skipping them or going inbounds. I've heard and seen too much bullshit from companies about their extensive product-testing.

Only a huge sucker would take a first generation b/c binding on a week long hut trip or gallivant cross the ocean to the Alps without a backup pair of other bindings.

NEVER EVER TRUST A FIRST GENERATION TOURING BINDING YOU MORONS.

10-4 .prob just put my ft12's on my new sticks. they work fine, just nice to have a little forward pressure elasticity for occasionally on hill duty. not a big deal for touring

Truth - lol.... I learned that with vipecs the hard way. Who wants a binding you need like half a day to swap on a diff set of skis
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.
    John Muir

Watching Brittany use them and taking a few runs on them myself, I'd put them past Mag 21 status. At least Judy...

How many people are having problems? A handful of pins that pulled out before the Loctite advisory, but generally there hasn't been a huge number of "I broke these". At least that I've seen. I'll be getting some soon, can't get rid of my Dynafits soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Watching Brittany use them and taking a few runs on them myself, I'd put them past Mag 21 status. At least Judy...

How many people are having problems? A handful of pins that pulled out before the Loctite advisory, but generally there hasn't been a huge number of "I broke these". At least that I've seen. I'll be getting some soon, can't get rid of my Dynafits soon enough.
    Fair enough. My view is coloured by knowledge that 3 of 4 Swiss skiers I know who took the chance of being early adopters have had problems- including pin problems. At least they're not Crank Bros

Looks like the general concensus here confirms my experience. Getting in to the Vipec is different than Dynafit, but not excessively so. Dynafiddle or Fritschi-fiddle, either require a bit of technique to get in. Vipec requires a different technique to get out, although you can also slam you ski sideways and force a release, something Dynafit can not do.

There is a potential icing issue you should be aware of. More details at earnyourturns.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    My Comforts have been on 3 different skis. Most teeth&kidney rattling? Volkl T-Rock, no metal! Smoothest? Fischer Watea 94, carbon stringers. Dynafits cause my feet to get buzzy and neo-crampy when the snow is rattley as compared to frame bindings, but torsionally they're so much better than frames and stride/weight wise no contest, so it doesn't bother me.

Any insight in to:

"For alpine touring boots with the front “pintech” inserts behind the normal position like Scarpa Alien, Dynafit TLT 6, etc. we recommend installing the “Color Clip High” as an interim solution in order to assure a proper frontal release.
    As consequence the toe of such boots hits the “Color Clip High” in a different angle in the position “walk”. In climbing mode it might happen that in an extreme position (knee close to the ski), the “Easy Switch Toe” is pressed down by the boot from “walk” to “ski” mode and may open the binding. For the next season we will offer a definitive solution with an adapted Color Clip for these boots."

Anyone try them with spectre? They are quite rockered.

" Light weight alpine touring boots with an extreme rocker are only compatible if the sole does not touch the front unit of the binding when the boot is stepped in."

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Any insight in to:

"For alpine touring boots with the front “pintech” inserts behind the normal position like Scarpa Alien, Dynafit TLT 6, etc. we recommend installing the “Color Clip High” as an interim solution in order to assure a proper frontal release.
    As consequence the toe of such boots hits the “Color Clip High” in a different angle in the position “walk”. In climbing mode it might happen that in an extreme position (knee close to the ski), the “Easy Switch Toe” is pressed down by the boot from “walk” to “ski” mode and may open the binding. For the next season we will offer a definitive solution with an adapted Color Clip for these boots."
    I had this problem with Cochise Pro's...basically the toebox was hitting the clip at an angle that levered it into ski mode instead of just pressing on it. Simple solution was to slightly sand down the clip. Really easy to fix. Bizarrely, it was only an issue with one binding, the other one works fine as is.

yeah, for me it was very hard to get into one of the two bindings, since the toe piece would not open as wide as the other one. fritschie told me "thats because it has been used so much" ??

and this

i had a set of "test" fritschi vipecs which were supposed to not have the "pin-falls-off" problem anymore. well, on the second day i used them, a pin came off while climbing. i noticed and was able to tighten it, but it kept getting lose. still on the second day, after about three turns from the summit, the heel piece broke.
    before that, the binding worked very well for skiing, not so much for climbing. the toe cant really be locked, so it comes off once in a while (especially while traversing on hard snow).
    fritschi, try again.

freak~[&]

releasing on hard snow traverse would be the suck, esp. for the less talented on the up
    bF

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    yeah, for me it was very hard to get into one of the two bindings, since the toe piece would not open as wide as the other one. fritschie told me "thats because it has been used so much" ??

and this

i had a set of "test" fritschi vipecs which were supposed to not have the "pin-falls-off" problem anymore. well, on the second day i used them, a pin came off while climbing. i noticed and was able to tighten it, but it kept getting lose. still on the second day, after about three turns from the summit, the heel piece broke.
    before that, the binding worked very well for skiing, not so much for climbing. the toe cant really be locked, so it comes off once in a while (especially while traversing on hard snow).
    fritschi, try again.

freak~[&]
    I like how no one ever has pictures of shit like this. I used mine on two 30+ mile trips and several afternoon tours this year with no issues. And I am a heavy bastard.

Why should we believe you ... any pictures?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Why should we believe you ... any pictures?
    Do you want pictures of the unbroken bindings, or time lapse video of the 4 day trip with frequent looking of the camera at the bindings?

Only if you can show the toe pieces good side.

Smashed into the floor with a sledge.

Should only take a couple half swings from a large baby -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.
    John Muir

Without pictures did it really happen, how I can i be sure you really are a heavy bastard ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like how no one ever has pictures of shit like this. I used mine on two 30+ mile trips and several afternoon tours this year with no issues. And I am a heavy bastard.
    yes, freak doesn't ski, clearly you are superior.

another day, another festival of bullshit. maybe dunfee can create a "real tech talk forum".
    Lord King of the Beater-Kooks

Eh one picture of the pin failure is enough for people to confirm they've had similar. Haven't paid much attention to this binding but I think I've seen one or two pictures if the problem. Of the recent ones I think the tracker/guardian and the plums both had failures enough to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    releasing on hard snow traverse would be the suck, esp. for the less talented on the up
    well, it does not happen regularly or a lot (well, how much can i say after two days of use) but the toe definitely does not really lock, which is quite a disadvantage imho.

well, i usually dont take pictures of my gear. i might even have one with the missing pin though... but then, why would people make this up?
    im fairly light by the way, and dont ski hard. and the vipes basically failed for everyone i know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    yes, freak doesn't ski, clearly you are superior.
    are you actually still skiing? you wouldnt believe how crowded everything got over here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    another day, another festival of bullshit. maybe dunfee can create a "real tech talk forum".
    i think an archive of the combined relevant threads pulled from tech talk and kayak might be more likely.

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    well, i usually dont take pictures of my gear. i might even have one with the missing pin though... but then, why would people make this up? im fairly light by the way, and dont ski hard. and the vipes basically failed for everyone i know...
    You mentioned breaking the heel piece though. How did that happen?