Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Think they are lighter than the Dynafit FTs?

See this was answered!

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Does anyone know a weight w/o brakes? They can be removed easier than the radicals?
    Definitely easier to remove than Radicals, they don't even come attached.

On Wildsnow, weight was offered at 470 grams without brakes per foot, and 599 grams with brakes per foot. This is slightly higher than Black Diamonds stated 1090 grams per pair. I don't have an accurate scale to measure mine.

So after freaking out about not having a jig, trying to find one, and not getting them mounted yesterday... I go out to my mailbox today and guess what showed up yesterday? A jig from BD!

I will post pics after I screw up the mount.

EDIT: to clarify, its a paper template.

pictures ,or it didnt happen.....)

Had a look at a pair the other day and I gotta say I'm dissappointed. The guy who had them had had approx 10 days on em and one of the toe pins had broken twice and the overall feel was way to plastic IMO.

Feels like it needs lots more work to be what it could be, will be interesting to see what Dynafits response on the FT12 looks like.
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

BD/Fritschi is getting samples to paying customers ahead of media --- that's a good thing to take care of customers first and a tip of the hat to them for doing so

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Yah that was when it was called the Zenith. I can't rename the title so it shows up in searches but might as well make this the more current on-snow place for reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SimB View Post
    Had a look at a pair the other day and I gotta say I'm dissappointed. The guy who had them had had approx 10 days on em and one of the toe pins had broken twice and the overall feel was way to plastic IMO.

Feels like it needs lots more work to be what it could be, will be interesting to see what Dynafits response on the FT12 looks like.
    Well why don't you convince your friend to contribute, with pictures and a solid review. Otherwise you sound like you are just spewing Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by flying_raven View Post
    pictures ,or it didnt happen.....)
    As you wish!

How difficult is the toe pin adjustment?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    How difficult is the toe pin adjustment?
    mine didn't require it. If it did, it doesn't look too difficult.

Friend had a pin fall out on a tour today.... it was stripped out so no bueno. He had them mounted at BD and hasn't touched the pin adjustment..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vipec.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	148939
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

For those that didn't ski through it. When Fritschi first released the Daimir binding, it seemed a revolutionary, simple, and easy to use alternative to everything else available. Most of the ski-tourers I knew bought a pair, and most of those broke within weeks. It seemed obvious that Fritschi had prematurely released an insufficiently tested product, and was using its' customers to identify the design flaws. After several years of this nonsense, and multiple fixes, Fritschi eventually produced an acceptably durable binding. I'm not suggesting that Fritschi is unique in such practice, and I can't know if the Vipec is similarly flawed, but buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vipec.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	148939
    Can't tell from that pic what stripped: the pin or the wing? The pin (some kind of hardened steel alloy, maybe tool steel?) should be something like 20X or 50X or 100X harder than the Al alloy wing, so I'd be really surprised if the pin stripped. Is that Al alloy in between the threads? If so, that's evidence that the wing stripped. Possible installer error, i.e., not snugging the pin thus alloying it to wiggle?
    Last edited by Big Steve; 01-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Well why don't you convince your friend to contribute, with pictures and a solid review. Otherwise you sound like you are just spewing Bullshit.
    Easy there tough guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    mine didn't require it. If it did, it doesn't look too difficult.
    post up some mounting prono!

Or at least some details - difficult mount compared to other tech offerings? screw pattern as it coincides with other tech patterns - getting mine mounted at shop but want to flop them on some fatties as well.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    post up some mounting prono!

Or at least some details - difficult mount compared to other tech offerings? screw pattern as it coincides with other tech patterns - getting mine mounted at shop but want to flop them on some fatties as well.
    It felt extremely similar to mounting Dynafits. I was super careful about hole punches on the toe, and not super careful on the heel. Both bindings are basically spot on, the pins sink right into the boot. Adjusting the heel so its against the boot is also as easy as it sounds.

I will definitely double check everything as per the Wildsnow walk through before I go touring, but everything looked fine.

The mount pattern is slightly narrower than a dynafit at the heel, and noticeably wider/longer at the toe. I wish it was wider in the heel too.

If you have any specific questions, fire away.

First post updated with first on snow review.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I'm not suggesting that Fritschi is unique in such practice
    they aren't. remember the BD Pitbull? Silvretta SL? Dynafit TriStep? All kinds of binding turds foisted on the public.

so we've got n=1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    they aren't. remember the BD Pitbull? Silvretta SL? Dynafit TriStep? All kinds of binding turds foisted on the public.

so we've got n=1.
    G3 Onyx first production iteration just to keep it Canuck.

Never ever ever ski 55 degree inpenetrable snow on a "thoroughly-tested" first gen binding said the one eyed pissed off chinaman

Expect a template from BD within a day or two. Probably mount them next week. Probably ski them... never. Mean / Mega / Ridiculously Resilient Ridge is ruining all my fun.

What's best price on them right now? I know a shop that wants to move a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    What's best price on them right now? I know a shop that wants to move a bunch.
    don't think anywhere is going very far under msrp right now. Very few places even have them in. Only bigger online retailers as far as I know.