Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    If memory is correct on the Vipec there is no actual full lock to the toe.

The tour mode locks the side to side elastic travel but the set release value on the toe wings stays the same.

Lee? Might have to go look at that up to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

The tour mode locks the side to side elastic travel but the set release value on the toe wings stays the same.

Also the "forward release" at the toe (ie not popping out of them on a kickturn) is also locked out.

This weekend I was warming up my hips swinging my leg front and back. Forgot to put it into lock and almost nailed someone behind me when it released.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Also the "forward release" at the toe (ie not popping out of them on a kickturn) is also locked out.

This weekend I was warming up my hips swinging my leg front and back. Forgot to put it into lock and almost nailed someone behind me when it released.
    Shirk you're kind of correct there. It actually increases the RV at the toe wings by a bit but not a whole pile. Not at all like Dynafit or G3 for example where if you lock out the toe you pretty much will rip the knee before releases. I didn't even try to quantify how much as I didn't even know where to start.

As a side note for both the Fritschi and the G3 I can tour without the toe locked out and only will come out of the toe wings if I kick turn hard or do something like smash the tip into breakable crust. So if I'm on a skin track where I have some doubts about safety or exposure I'll leave the toes unlocked (kind of begs the question what I'm doing on that kind of terrain)

Wildsnow has something on this fyi but it doesn't include Vipec - https://www.wildsnow.com/18803/compa...er-g3-dynafit/

Skialper also did this kind of test but I don't have a copy - Wildsnow article about it https://www.wildsnow.com/21232/skial...o-translation/

There;'s some legal issue in IT where they couldn't test the Vipec. Not sure what's up with that

Irrespective of the binding, I may find myself migrating to the "belts and braces" camp - brakes + occasional use of fused leash.

I can't bring myself fully trusting a fused leash without brakes. If I take a big fall without brakes (and the fuse works), I've lost a ski and I'd be kicking myself on the way out for not having brakes - the hunt for the ski(s). Leashes, OTOH are great for putting your skis on in sketchy entrances, as well as for kickturn insurance.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Shirk you're kind of correct there. It actually increases the RV at the toe wings by a bit but not a whole pile. Not at all like Dynafit or G3 for example where if you lock out the toe you pretty much will rip the knee before releases. I didn't even try to quantify how much as I didn't even know where to start.

As a side note for both the Fritschi and the G3 I can tour without the toe locked out and only will come out of the toe wings if I kick turn hard or do something like smash the tip into breakable crust. So if I'm on a skin track where I have some doubts about safety or exposure I'll leave the toes unlocked (kind of begs the question what I'm doing on that kind of terrain)

Wildsnow has something on this fyi but it doesn't include Vipec - https://www.wildsnow.com/18803/compa...er-g3-dynafit/

Skialper also did this kind of test but I don't have a copy - Wildsnow article about it https://www.wildsnow.com/21232/skial...o-translation/

There;'s some legal issue in IT where they couldn't test the Vipec. Not sure what's up with that
    Patent issues in Italy

Anyone have luck bending down the metal step in wire on their 1st and 2nd gen toe pieces to get the plastic step in locators to work better?
    Bumping this for same question. Want to do the same, but it's a pretty tough angle to work from.

Forgot to post this - differences between black and white Vipecs.

http://www.doglotion.com/user-review...ouring-binding

Odd that stores list the brakes as 95, 108 and 120mm, etc. but the boxes (and Diamir's web site) say 80, 90, 100 and 115mm.

This has been driving me nuts. Back on post #317 in this thread, I documented my confusion over the various labeling - Black Diamond vs. Fritschi, vs. Sport Conrad/Telemark-Pyranees. I seem to recall someone commenting that Black Diamond erroneously used the Freeride brake widths on their website.

Also, see my comment in post #359 about the Backcountry.com "XXL" labeled brakes.

In any case, the width specifications are wildly optimistic. IIRC, I got what was labeled as 108 (from Sport Conrad last Spring), and they barely cleared my Down Countdown 102's.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-11-2016 at 12:11 AM.
    Galibier Design

^ That's really strange, tonight I measured a pair labeled "90" and they can actually fit 100mm waists (barely). Figured that's why stores are pushing up the listed brake widths by 5mm, maybe they run big but you actually received "90"s in a 108mm bag? Or maybe I received 100mm brakes in a box labeled 90?

Who knows...I need a pair of 120s if anyone is holding.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-11-2016 at 02:09 AM.

My 108 brakes barely clear my Countdown 102s.

Holding them in your hands, they look plenty wide, but when mounted on the ski they don't spread out as as much as you'd expect - as they spread out in order to clear the ski and deploy.

Maybe (hopefully) they've changed something for the better since last Spring. Mine were Blacks, BTW.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-12-2016 at 02:04 AM.
    Galibier Design

Got mine in the mail yesterday, I guess I botched the template printing because my holes didn't line up. Gonna try and get them mounted tonight

eh I think the wildsnow templates are off by maybe a .5mm-1mm on the spacing. I had my first mount not %100 then corrected when I put inserts in.

2x4 mounting first is always good

Perhaps the biggest source of small errors I've found is in center punching. I use a fresh template for each ski, and most importantly, I put a pin hole in the center of each hole. This serves as a guide for the center punch.

Check the scale lines, compare against Powderguide templates, and of course against the bindings (as you did).

Lou's scale box is a bit small (40 mm?) and I can see a bit of scaling imprecision creeping in at that point. My scale lines are 5" long, and I use a dial indicator to verify.

I draw my own templates on a CAD tool, using the specs from both sites, and haven't had trouble, with my main problems having been from center punching errors - even with my templates.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-14-2016 at 12:30 AM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My 108 brakes barely clear my Countdown 102s.

Holding them in your hands, they look plenty wide, but when mounted on the ski they don't spread out as as much as you'd expect - as they spread out in order to clear the ski and deploy.

Maybe (hopefully) they've changed something for the better since last Spring. Mine were Blacks, BTW.

... Thom
    I mounted my 120 brakes on my lotus 120 (which are 122 underfoot) and they fit fine. Strange that there's such a lack of consistency.

eh I think the wildsnow templates are off by maybe a .5mm-1mm on the spacing. I had my first mount not %100 then corrected when I put inserts in.

2x4 mounting first is always good
    It was an actual printing error, had to uncheck "fit to page"

I just did a 2x4 mount and they seemed really clunky in and out of modes. Is that normal?

What do you mean by "clunky"? There are super defined detents on the toe that might seem like a lot if you're coming from dynafit's little clicks.

There are super defined detents on the toe that might seem like a lot if you're coming from dynafit's little clicks.
    That's probably it

Took some measurements:

Front toe holes are 44mm apart
    Rear toe holes are 40mm apart
    Rear toe hole centerline is 65.5mm behind the front hole centerline

Heel holes are 28.0mm apart
    Rear heel hole centerline is 60.1mm behind front heel hole centerline

These measurements won't help anyone locate the pattern on the ski, but you can use them to check your template scaling.

local shop owner just told me about next year's Vipec, same toe + alpine heel. anyone else hear tell of this yet?

said probably Jan '18

Well it's on TGR now so it has to be true.

Damn - that "secret" got out quick

So my 17 blue/black showed up and brakes are easily 115. Unless they tighten when mounting they will fit my countdown 110 nice
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    So my 17 blue/black showed up and brakes are easily 115. Unless they tighten when mounting they will fit my countdown 110 nice
    Unmounted, they seem huge. I'm curious how they deploy after you mount them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Damn - that "secret" got out quick
    Fucking Rob Story.