Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Looked around the net a bit this morning. Saw the listed weight on the crampons is 363g/pair!!!!!

Not sure what Fritschi was thinking with this. Due to toe design looks like stuck with their crampons if I want them for this binding.
    Nope-

Having used hinged and fixed, I actually prefer fixed.

Not familiar with those. How do you find they function? Looks like there is a permanent lock mount. Unfortunately still on the heavy side

Thanks for pointing out an option

Is the new black version really that much better than white 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Not familiar with those. How do you find they function? Looks like there is a permanent lock mount. Unfortunately still on the heavy side

Thanks for pointing out an option
    The mount stays in place, and weighs about an ounce each- less than the variation one might find on a pair of flat skis.
    As far as the weight of the crampon compared to others? There is so little choice out there, I am not sure how much weight can be a factor. And, having used crampons I don't love (O1 tele and Dynafit with high heel lift), weight is fairly low on my list. In fact, when I went from brake-less radicals to Vipecs/brakes, I realized my weight/performance perspective had changed.

As far as function: I like a fixed crampon, I do use them with high heel lifts sometimes, and don't like the minimal engagement of my Dynafit crampons. I have a pair of Voille mounted under foot. I think I actually prefer them forward of the binding as I have dome with tele.

These guys are worth a look.

Their telemark options should really be called universal.

Thanks, really appreciate your input.

Funny I am coming off speed radicals too.

I I searched this thread and the Forum but couldn't find anything, but I have a pair of this year's carbon katanas, Can I mount the new black vipecs on those? I know they say marker only, however it sounds like people have successfully mounted plenty of other Tech bindings on there

Lame armchair response: Shouldn't be a problem. Don't know the ski, but assume it is flat. The Vipec screw pattern does not seem out of range of an average binding pattern and so should fit in the mounting area. I have read some Volkl's are thin so you or the shop may need to watch screw length and how this relates to the supplied screws I do not know. If you can't figure this out, take it to a shop you trust can. If it was properly mounted Volkl should stand behind their product even if it says Marker only.

wildsnow has something about that

seems that at least on the 14/15 vipecs, the heels would partially drilling into air

https://www.wildsnow.com/12762/volkl...strong-enough/

Yupp once again I am shown when I speak from the armchair with a beer I am an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Is the new black version really that much better than white 2.0?
    It really is that much better. The white versions were quite a bit more finicky. I published this late last season and TGR is holding it off the front page till next season but since the Vipec is essentially unchanged its still relevant. Here you go

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...g-teton-tested

^^thanks Lee

Still curious if anything has been done to the heel to avoid freezing when going to ski mode.

A heel cover plate was added to 2nd gen whites

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    A heel cover plate was added to 2nd gen whites
    That's what I have. Still froze a few times in wild temp swings. The track packs with slush.

My wife has a pair of Gea RS and Freedom SL. With her boots it is impossible to get a forward release at the toe because the toe of the boot doesn't put enough pressure on the toe clip even when using the larger one. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this fact? The only way to get a release would involve modifying her boot toe or have Fritischi make a larger toe clip.

It is part of the design for forward release as the videos show. I know some boots don't play with the vipecs and sounds like hers is one of them. Unfortunately sounds like change the boots or change the bindings-easier.

What about bonding a thin strip of plastic at the front of the toe?

I was planning on doing this to one of my two boots which requires the thicker clip.

I'd prefer to not have to switch clips when changing boots.

I'm searching for plastic that won't get brittle in the cold. Larry's just opened for the season I'll ask if I can scavenge through his junk collection for some boot shell scraps & report back.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Oh BTW tape your clips. Mine fell a few times.

A toe bumper might be easy to build with InstaMorph [heat mouldable plastic] and epoxy. [I've used it for a lot of things, for example, toe caps, for heat-moulding boot inserts etc.] A larger boot-toe-cap would give more surface area to glue, if you're worried it might fall off.

But be careful, it loses rigidity at ~150F. So, if you leave it in the car in the summer, it's going to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    That was my thought on not wanting to R&R them all the time (mod the boots instead).

Instamorph looks like good stuff, but only having about 10 degrees temperature margin for my boot warmer bag.

...Thom
    Galibier Design

I would not trust glue to reliably bond on small surfaces when it comes to safety. Personally I would rather screw spacers to the boot toe.

3M VHB. It won't be the weak point in your safety protocol.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...=1180621747034.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-19-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Seriously? The safety feature for a forward fall fell out a few times? Am I reading that right? Anyone else had this problem? Bought these in the Spring as I liked a lot of things about them and hoped the Black was a more finished product.

Yea, it popped out a few times when I stepped in. I doubt the forward release is a bid deal. Once the heel releases its pretty easy to rip out of toe pins.