Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiingQuinHat View Post

My boots are La Sportiva Spectres. I did not have the pre-release problem with the first edition of the toe unit.

This was the end of the Vipec experiment - I can not trust these while touring (one of the exits while touring happened while kick turning on a steep slope) or skiing.

I have gone back to Dynafit!
    Review here http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...nding-reviewed

I had the issues you mentioned even with the touring lever pulled up until I changed the bump block from higher profile to lower profile. Turned out that my boot (Vulcan) was hitting the binding block

Tried the heel first step in and that is easier than my Dynafits were.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but figured this might be a good place to chime in.

I'm new to AT skiing so take what I say as you will, I've also only been alpine skiing for 4-5 years (came from snowboarding for 2-3 years and before that I had raced XC skis since I was a young fella).

I also am new to this setup, I got them mounted up last Saturday and have skied on them 6 of the last 8 days but mostly just one run per day before work. I did spend a morning at a local ski mountain doing lift serve before I met a friend to go skinning.

I'm running the Vipecs on a Dynafit Manaslu ski with Dynafit NEO boots and so far the setup is working really well. Like I said I have nothing to compare to and I know the NEO isn't a top of the line boot but it works well for me for now, I'm planning to get a set of Spectres next year and a set of Voile V6's.

Anyway, so far I really like the bindings. The only issue I've had with them was when I dunked my boots into some flowing water on a tour and I did have some trouble getting in/out of the bindings after that. I had to spend a minute or two chipping ice and fiddling with the bindings afterwards when we went from skinning to bootpacking and back but at the same time my ski partner was on barons and took longer to get sorted out (he also dipped in a bit but not as bad as me).

Other than the ice issue after dunking in water for a little while they've been great. I've dropped some smaller cliffs (5-8' probably), taken them off some 10' kickers in the terrain park at my local mountain to see how they handled, and made some high speed turns as well on groomers and they did good. I have my releases set to 8 and haven't pre-released...or released at all, but I also haven't taken any tumbles yet.

I'm getting better at stepping in every day and I'm happy with all the features they have, I was advised to use my lifters as little as possible so as to not reduce my stride and have been following that advice so I've only used the low lifter once or twice for short steeps but had no problems with them. Getting into ski mode at the top of the mountain isn't an issue and I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the tech binding since I was told by a few people that they wouldn't ski as well as my regular alpine skis, especially when using a lighter ski and softer boot...but I had no issues skiing on hardpack with them. Luckily we've had good snow here on the East coast and every day I've been out in the woods has been on fresh powder which has been nice.

I'll be sure to report back when I have more days on them, right now I'm debating if I want to remount them on the rental plates I ordered but came after my bindings so I didn't install. Don't really want to remove the bindings and redrill holes on my new skis to install plates and I'm not sure if the rise of the rental plates will effect the performance of the ski but I'm tossing the idea around, I might keep the plates until the end of the season and if I still like the Vipecs at the end of the season I'll install them and get plates for my V6s next year.

We did have a customer come into the shop the other day with some Vipecs mounted on some Dynastar skis and he was having issues with one of the toe pieces. He couldn't get them to open fully to step in, the lever that switches the toe between modes seemed to be sloppy and out of place and unless he pressed it onto the ski by hand he couldn't get the toe to open fully and couldn't get his boot in. He said once he was in there were no issues but getting in took awhile because of the issue.

For what it's worth I've sold probably 10 pairs of these bindings to customers this year and nobody has come back disappointed and some of our regular ski customers have them and really like them.

I've got about 20 days on my Megawatt/Vipec combo. It seems I've turned the corner on the entry problems. I was MFing them every time I had to enter for about the first 10-15 days. The last few have been pretty much first try. Not sure what I'm doing different but it's working.
    Released a few times and I'm guessing they should have. I did have one problem with the pin carriage sliding out (releasing) too far and getting jammed out. I had to send it in but got it back w/in a week with no more issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

A lot of details about the new version of the Vipec at kundalini.ch: http://kundalini.ch/2015/08/16/the-n...r-season-1516/

Quote Originally Posted by selle View Post
    A lot of details about the new version of the Vipec at kundalini.ch: http://kundalini.ch/2015/08/16/the-n...r-season-1516/
    I've been pretty happy with the performance of the Vipec and other than the increase in weight, this looks like a significant improvement to what is already a very good piece of equipment.
    Lucky Thirteen!

Quote Originally Posted by YB View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the performance of the Vipec and other than the increase in weight, this looks like a significant improvement to what is already a very good piece of equipment.
    A shame the upgraded improved toe will not be available in Noram

So, the new TGR mantra will now be "get the black ones"? Lou just posted January availability for the black Vipecs in the US. Sounds as if they're trying to give US retailers the opportunity to unload the white ones:

https://www.wildsnow.com/18340/frits...ng/#more-18340

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Has anyone tried the new black version?

Also, anyone have a direct comparison for the downhill performance between the Marker Kingpin and the Fritschi Vipec? Trying to decide if the lateral release the Vipec toe offers is worth giving up the heel on the Marker Kingpin?

So....HEEL or TOE?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeaner14 View Post

Also, anyone have a direct comparison for the downhill performance between the Marker Kingpin and the Fritschi Vipec? Trying to decide if the lateral release the Vipec toe offers is worth giving up the heel on the Marker Kingpin?

So....HEEL or TOE?
    I've been having the same dilemma. What's the verdict on this?

2nd year on the originals.
    Before the season, I put a set of Ion 12s on the new RMU Apostles. First time out and they were so easy that I was convinced I'd be cursing the Fritchis every time I took out the MegaWatts.
    Not the case.
    Something seems to have "clicked". The entry on the Vipecs has become pretty much, first time, every time and I prefer their heel system over the G3s.

The G3s are soooo purty, though.

After a bunch more days in pnw powder and variable pnw and tahoe conditions I still love my V2 vipecs (white with toe stops). Using them on both my BD Amperages and some Volkl 70mm waisted groomer skis. They release when they should, and do great with my sub par bump skiing and don't rattle me to death.

Now just need some skinnier brakes :P

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeaner14 View Post

So....HEEL or TOE?
    I have skied the original vipecs and did not like them. The din was directly connected to the toe wings and when you crank,ed up the din the wings moved in making it a bitch to get in.

I now have the black version and find them better. The din/toe wings are no longer an issue and there are "stops" that are there for the toe of the boot to stop on. There is also a metal "button" in the middle of the toe piece that when you tap it snaps the toe wings into place.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Hi Smiley,

It's nice to know that there are convenience/usability improvements in the black version.

Can you talk a bit about retention vs. (for example) Kingpins or perhaps legacy bindings like Dynafit Verticals?

Thanks!
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Hi Smiley,

It's nice to know that there are convenience/usability improvements in the black version.

Can you talk a bit about retention vs. (for example) Kingpins or perhaps legacy bindings like Dynafit Verticals?

Thanks!
    Thom
    Hey thom,
    I have only ever used plum guides and vipecs. Sorry.

Fritschi Vipec review thread

I have the 2nd gen Vipecs, lots of days on ATK Raider 14s and Speed Radicals and a few days on Plum heels.

Its relatively hard to compare retention, since each fall or crash is so unique and they don't happen very often.

However, I've had Radicals and ATKs fail to release laterally before (one causing an injury). I've had similar crashes on the Vipecs and have had proper lateral release. I need to crank the toe a little higher, since I always pick release values through experimentation and the Vipecs are new to me. Had a couple toe prereleases. One off a large cliff with a rough landing (may have been legit?), and another on a low speed too-narrow exit ravine where the ski tip got caught up. The Vipec skis much better on firm snow - noticeably more damp and connected.

Speed Radical toes have much lower clamping force than ATK and are more susceptible to toe prerelease.

The Speed Radical 10 heel retention isn't enough for hucks. Not sure if a Plum 12 is good enough for hucks (different skis). The Vipec 12 is good enough though (so far - need more time hitting the big stuff), as is the ATK 12. I previously ran Dukes at 13 and STHs at 12.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I have skied the original vipecs and did not like them. The din was directly connected to the toe wings and when you crank,ed up the din the wings moved in making it a bitch to get in.

I now have the black version and find them better. The din/toe wings are no longer an issue and there are "stops" that are there for the toe of the boot to stop on. There is also a metal "button" in the middle of the toe piece that when you tap it snaps the toe wings into place.
    Is it now easy, or just easier?

Thanks Lindahl! I'd guess that all of our falls/releases are anecdotal and the best we can do is collectively compile/share info to try and establish a meaningful pattern.

I've never been able to confirm why the 3 or 4 unintended releases I've had with Comforts and Verticals occurred. Did I adequately clear ice buildup? I can recall two of times occurred after boot packing, so this is certainly a possibility (not adequately clearing ice).

The returns on the Vipec are however beginning to stack up nicely, and that's not a bad thing - especially with the toe release feature. I haven't heard much about their ski-ability, and your "more damp and connected" comment comes as an added bonus.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Black Vipec

I've been skiing on the black ones and they are waaaay better. There are no issues regarding stepping in. I own a pair of the original vipec's and got a 2nd gen toe replacement for them. The original ones are now on a pair of backup touring skis and work fine, but not as well as the black ones. Being in the east, I have no touring experience with them as yet, but they should be just fine. I never had any touring problems with the originals once I got them on. Nothing weird feeling in downhill mode. Feel like an alpine binding not an odd ramp angled Dynafit or a flat footed, wobbly Fritschi frame binding. I'll report more once I get a few tours on them. I don't demand as much retention as some here, since any air time that I get is unintentional.
    I mounted them on a new pair of Fischer Ranger 98ti's and have to give a shout out for the skis. Nice and light but don't ski like a light ski. This will be my off piste, crud, pow, touring set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I have the 2nd gen Vipecs, lots of days on ATK Raider 14s and Speed Radicals and a few days on Plum heels.

Its relatively hard to compare retention, since each fall or crash is so unique and they don't happen very often.

However, I've had Radicals and ATKs fail to release laterally before (one causing an injury). I've had similar crashes on the Vipecs and have had proper lateral release. I need to crank the toe a little higher, since I always pick release values through experimentation and the Vipecs are new to me. Had a couple toe prereleases. One off a large cliff with a rough landing (may have been legit?), and another on a low speed too-narrow exit ravine where the ski tip got caught up. The Vipec skis much better on firm snow - noticeably more damp and connected.

Speed Radical toes have much lower clamping force than ATK and are more susceptible to toe prerelease.

The Speed Radical 10 heel retention isn't enough for hucks. Not sure if a Plum 12 is good enough for hucks (different skis). The Vipec 12 is good enough though (so far - need more time hitting the big stuff), as is the ATK 12. I previously ran Dukes at 13 and STHs at 12.

Hope that helps.

Is it now easy, or just easier?
    I would say its easier... Easy, imo, would be like a regular alpine binder.

Sooo..... The toe doesn't quite lock out but apparently the system is pretty good with elasticity, question is, if I crank them to 12 and pull the toe lever up will these still be good to go in the no-fall zone? Thinking about mounting to dynastar xxls, which I thought dynafits would be pretty shakey. Maybe these would ski better?

Do the new black vipecs have the same hole pattern as the whites and do they usually come with a template?

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Do the new black vipecs have the same hole pattern as the whites and do they usually come with a template?
    Pretty sure you have to request a template

Yeah my white's didn't come with a template. The one from wildsnow is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Yeah my white's didn't come with a template. The one from wildsnow is good.
    Black Diamond (Fritschi) has an excellent one.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    I used the same jig to mount the black ones as i did with the white ones.